Making Fondant Shapes

Decorating By thedessertdiva Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm by azureblu

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 14

I have shapes that go onto a wedding cake for Sat night. I'd like to cut them out tonight to get that part out of the way. How do I store them once cut so thery are nice to go onto the finished product? (can you all tell I have never worked with fondant before in my life...lol)

13 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 14

Are they flowers or what kind of shapes and also you may need to do that so the will have time to dry.

Molly2

thedessertdiva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 14

Leaves, circles and a vine pattern that climbs up the side of the cake. Once I cut these out, how do I store them until Sat afternoon?

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 14

I usually store mine in a tupperware container laying flat. Unless you need them to be hard, then I'd leave them sitting out.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 14

just remember that if they get hard that they will be flat and will not sit nicely against the cake. Sometime with these you have to do them right as you do the cake, and put them on there. I learned this the hard way after making all of them in advance, and then trying to put them on the cake, and them breaking and looking like crap!!! Hope this helps good luck!

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 14

if they dry then however they dry is how they will be, no moving around or adjusting.
I just made a graduation cap and layed the tassel out to dry, by the time i went to use it (two days later) it dawned on me i goofed up. I layed the tassle flat but needed it to hang off my hat at an angle. needless to say the tassle part broke off and i had to mess around with it to hide the break. UGH!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 14

No refrigeration required.. store in a dry dark place. Do not cover. No lids. icon_smile.gif

thedessertdiva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 14

Hmmm...this is a vine pattern that is climbing up the cake with leaves and circles. The cakes are round and some will be going over the sides to sit on the top edge.

I can cut them out and them store them in gladware containers. They will stay soft like this? I need them to be pliable to place them on the cake corectly.

Think of Duffs brown cake with the blue vine cut onto the fondant. I am doing a similar cake, but we are cutting the pattern out of fondant and laying it on a buttercream frosted cake.

thedessertdiva Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 14

This is the model we are basing our design off of...
LL

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 14

one other thing I had happen to was by doing them too soon, the color didn't remain the same....I really would just do them when you are doing the cake, if it something like the vine that has to be pliable then I wouldn't take the chance in pre-making them, may end up having to make them twice that way....? I have stored pre-colored fondant in zip locks, and even though they are closed have had some drying out and hardening on the fondant...I still think it is best just to do them at the last minute and then throw them on the cake so to say..

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #11 of 14

If you want it soft, then you need to make it the same day you will need it.

thedessertdiva Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:39am
post #12 of 14

Poop... icon_rolleyes.gif lol. I guess I will have to plan on making some time for this Sat. I was hoping to have it all done by Friday night and the only thing left to do is stack the thing on Sat at the hall, and add the decorations. I still will have it all done on Friday night, but I will just have to plan on adding more time to cut out designs Sat morning.

Thank you!!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 14

I've had good success with making flowers 2 days before, sandwiching them between 2 layers of saran, then doing that again with the saran folding over the other sides, then putting in an airtight container. Yes, I was paranoid! LOL!! For a longer piece I had made, I put a toilet paper tube at the end of the container and draped the saran-fondant sandwich over so that it was bent.

I used that for the Wilton course gift cake in my photos, it was Wilton fondant with no gum tex or anything in it. Worked for me! icon_smile.gif

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 14

Can you dry over the backside of the baking pans? Azure

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%