Even/straight Rows Of Dots

Decorating By idjitmom Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm by Sofide

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all, I am doing a cake that I need even/straight rows & columns of small fondant dots, all up & down & around the side of the cake. (The cake will be covered in fondant.) How can I make sure that all the columns and all the rows are straight? I know my skills, and freehanding it is not an option, & so I'm at a bit of a loss - any help would be greatly appreciated - TIA!

10 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 11

I know you can get an impression mat that has dots on it. After you impress it into your fondant of crusting BC you can then go back and put dots on it. Try Cakes by Sam or Earlene Moore's site for the mats.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

I know you can get an that has dots on it. After you impress it into your fondant of crusting BC you can then go back and put dots on it. Try Cakes by Sam or Earlene Moore's site for the mats.

A good idea, but no time for it, the cake is for this weekend. Thanks though!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 11

I would take my ruler & make graph paper (or use some if you have it)... plot out your dots on the graph paper and put it up against the cake. Poke holes in the dots you plotted with a tooth pick or a bamboo skewer. That will show you where to place your dots. They will be straight as your graph paper. You can also do it on waxed paper, but the graph paper is what I have available.

This has always worked for me.

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 11

This idea is crazy, but I've never hesitated to use tape on my cakes to make measurments. You could use a 2" masking tape, or 1" (whatever your measurements should be) and make ruler marks on the tape. Then, use your tape like a guide, taping it flush with the bottom of your cake, make a poke in your fondant, then peel the tape off the fondant and put it on again flush to the last row of dots that you did. This might work well, but depending on how much powdered sugar you use, it could run out quickly. Just a thought...hope it helps! good luck!

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 11

Laser level

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:59am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4them

Laser level

This is like the 5th duh moment for me today on here.... I NEVER thought about that at all!!! Thank you so much for that tip!!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:12am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4them

Laser level

Great Idea, my DH might have just lost a tool I gave him for Xmas a couple of years ago.

Otherwise he will get another for Father's day!

Good Luck.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 11

What a great idea with the laser level... now, if I can just learn how to use one! ... but if it is not on a level surface, will the dots all be crooked?

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 11

I was getting ready to post a reply to this yesterday about the laser level but got the "cake central is down for maintenance" page instead!!

Sofide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sofide Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 11

I use the paper I used to use in math-class, with the little squares on them... makes it easy to measure.
Then just put around the cake and poke small holes as described above....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%