Need Some Advice For Curious George Cakw.

Decorating By DesignsByMandie Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm by ceshell

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 5

I have a customer that wants a small 3D Curious George Cake. She is ordering a sheet cake and wants the small 3D cake for just her son so he has his own little cake. I suggested a cupcake but she does not want that. I have looked through a ton of pics when I searched for Curios George but they all seem to be bigger than what I need...I thought about a rice crispy but I think she wants a cake. Any Advice?? I need to get back to her to let her know what I've found(which isnt much)!! Thanks A TON! Mandie

4 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #2 of 5

I think you could do his body out of a small carved 4 inch stack, but for those arms and legs and head you are limited in your options, that are going to be edible, and also look good.

I would just be honest with her. Tell her that you can make CG out of RKT with possibly a cake body, but the bulk will be RKT. If she isnt ok with that, tell her that that is the only thing that is going to work and be edible, her next choice is styrofoam.

There are lots of other things you can do too.

Make a small 4 inch round. Leave it white and make some scribbles all over it in food color paint. Make a small CG with a crayon in his hand, like hes scribbling all over the cake.

Another 4 inch round with CG flying above the city holding onto his balloons. (This one is in my pics, it didnt turn out as well as I had invisioned, but the BD girl liked it).

HTH

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the advice Jayde...I called and left a message for her and have yet to hear back...I have a feeling I did all this research for nothing...Oh well at least I will have an answer next time...And I loved you cakes they were adorable...Did you make CG out of fondant or gumpaste?? And the CG idea with the scribbles is great...I may just try it for the fun of it and add it too my album!! Thanks Again Mandie icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 6:24am
post #4 of 5

My daughter had a Curious George party. We made the yellow hat cake. Used the wondermold and just used yellow buttercream on the cake and on the cake stand (that was the brim). We put a stuffed George next to the cake.

Maybe you can get the mini doll mold pan and make a small yellow hat.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 5

OK if you already searched on Curious George then you probably saw this cake...but in case you didn't the George seems to be the right size...? http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=24446 She doesn't say on the comments whether he's cake or RKT. But I'd think you could do what Jayde said, make his body and head out of cake (kinda like oversized cake balls) and then arms/legs out of RKT. Of course the biggest problem would be, how do you adhere the arms w/o using toothpicks/skewers (not a good idea if he's a little one and this is like a smash cake)...maybe if they fold into his lap they'll stay on w/fondant...

Otherwise maybe you could just do a Curious George face kind of along the lines of this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=10988 or this (but using Curious G's features)... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=299543
. I've also seen a few using the mini-bear pan as a starting point...

Just some thoughts! Hope it pans out and it's not all a bunch of research for nothing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%