Do You Make Mmf In Your Ka?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 12:11am by Franluvsfrosting

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 23

Do you use your mixer to make MMF?

I've noticed that some people do and others seem shocked by it. Personally, I make it in mine. With the dough hook and a well-greased bowl it seems to do fine.

I was reading a post where someone said their KA died from making MMF, and I just wondered if that had happened to anyone else.

22 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 23

I would not make it any other way except with the mixer (tried it once by hand and just too messy for me). I think just keeping the speed low (like when mixing bread dough) and there should not be any problems. I do knead the MMF one last time by hand and add any additional PS for the desired consistency.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 23

I use it in my KA and have never had a problem. I also knead my by hand at the end.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 23

No issues yet with doing it in my kitchen aid. Like the other two posters have stated, i do knead it by hand at the end to make it smooth.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 23

Put me down as another KA with dough hook MMF maker! My KA has never objected, it's just like making bread dough.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 23

I, too, have also made it in my KA, using the dough hook, with no problem. I knead at the end. I couldn't imagine making it without the KA.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 23

I used to, but now I do it by hand. Seems to go easier for me...one bowl, one spoon, and it goes quick.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 23

I use my KA to make it. I just grease the bowl and hook really well and it always comes out perfect! I just don't like kneading things by hand...lazy? Maybe. I like to think of it as an opportunity to multi-task!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 23

I make mine in the KA with dough hook, finish kneading at the end. Used to do it by hand, but I have nerve damage in my hands, and couldn't do it anymore. It was a good excuse to get hubby to buy me a KA! icon_biggrin.gif

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 23

Like most everyone else said. I mix mine with a well greased bowl and dough hook. I always knead at the end.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 23

I make mine in my KA. Like a lot of folks have already said, grease the bowl and the dough hook, and it seems to do just fine. I do hear it straining just a bit toward the end, but turning it up one speed seems to fix that. I can't imagine doing it any other way. icon_razz.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 23

I'm with Lisa: One bowl. One spatula. Easy, fast, and clean-up's a breeze.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 23

I'm with almost everyone else........I can't imagine making it any way except in my kitchen aid! It's perfect! I also knead it after taking it out.
I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers, so this is the only way to go!!!!
Does anyone/everyone add their coloring while it's mixing? I do, and it works like a dream!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 23

I add my coloring when I'm mixing the water and flavorings. Works like a charm. icon_smile.gif

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 23

I use my 8 cup measuring cup and the handle of a well greased plastic spoon. But I hate doing dishes and I only have one KA bowl. I usually only use my KA for butercream not even for cakes... maybe when I get up to a volume that I am too tired to stir I'll resort to my KA. For now it keeps my arms toned icon_lol.gif

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 23

I've made MMF, Toba's fondant and Michelle Foster's fondant all in my KA and no problems. Though I do NOT mix all of the ps in. I mix a good part and do the last part on the counter.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 23

icon_smile.gif

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #18 of 23

Okay, I tried it in the KA this morning. It was a breeze.

I think I'm sold.
icon_biggrin.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #19 of 23

at what point do you put the mixture in the KA? I have only made MMF once and that was about 9 months ago. It was a huge mess and my hands got stuck together, I'd love to use my KA if it won't burn the motor up. How much cake will one batch of MMF cover?

I'm making a baby cake for my friend and I'm just using half a sports ball pan and another cake baked in my pyrex bowl, so it isn't much cake... will one batch cover it? Thanks!

cfloyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfloyd Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #20 of 23

I also use my KA to make MMF. Sometimes I worry about it, but so far no problems. I did not grease the bowl the first time and that was a little bit of a mess.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #21 of 23

I always use my KA to make MMF. I always assumed people who had lost a KA that way either had an old KA or one that had been worked to death. My KA is only a few years old and I donât use mine for anything but making BC or MMF. I average about 2 cakes a month so really I donât use it that much.

Iâve covered 2 tier (each tier about 4 inches high) cakes with one batch of MMF and still had plenty of leftovers. One batch of MMF lasts me a very long time. I pop all the leftovers into the freezer until I need it next, tastes just as good as the day I made it.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #22 of 23

Nope, not in my KA, its by hand for meicon_wink.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:11am
post #23 of 23

I have just started making fondant but I did mine in the KA too. It worked like a charm. I've also done Michelle Foster's fondant in it and that worked great too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%