What Type Of Icing Should I Use?

Decorating By tobsta Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 12:35am by tobsta

tobsta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobsta Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #1 of 5

I need to trace double hearts on the sides of a buttercream 4 tier wedding cake and I was wondering what type of icing I should use to get a shinny yet flowable look to hearts.

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:27am
post #2 of 5

Welcome to Cake Central. A shiny smooth heart would typically be done on a flat surface (or just slightly curved) in royal icing or Colorflow, dried then placed against the side of the cake.

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 5

You could finish your hearts with Luster Dust to get them all shiny. I have seen silver, gold, just about any color you could imagine. Using that will help give your hearts a little extra shine to stand out from the buttercream.

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 5

Just remember that royal incing and buttercream are not friends, and will melt royal. Will you be using color on this cake? If so (or not) just use the "Decorators"buttercream icing. Its just buttercream made firmer. And do your hearts with that. Just a thought....

tobsta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobsta Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for the ideas. I think I will try the color flow or royal and place them on last minute so the break down process will not have time to actually set in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%