Edible Images Tips

Decorating By cakeandpartygirl Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm by bakesweet06

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:21am
post #1 of 14

This past Saturday I made my first edible image cake. I ruined about 6 sheets during the process. My image kept tearing. It would tear not only around the edges but it affected the image to the point where you could see it as well. Does anyone have any tips so that won't happend again? I followed the directions modified them and still it tore. I live in a very humid environment and it was raining do you think that could have had any effect on it as well? The type of printer that I was using was a canon ip4300.

13 replies
aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:31am
post #2 of 14

I use a toothpick to loosen it from the backing.. just run it back and forth under it. I did the same thing

troyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troyfan Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:32am
post #3 of 14

did it do it while you were trying to get the image off or while it was printing? If it was while you were trying to get it off, just put it in the freezer for a few seconds.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:45am
post #4 of 14

It happened when I was trying to get the image off of the backing

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:58am
post #5 of 14

Freezing for a few minutes usually works, then I gently run it over the edge of the table, and that helps to loosen the sheet from the backing.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:23am
post #6 of 14

A couple of things you can try.

Try taking the backing off before you put your sheet into the printer.

Make sure your sheets are always kept in a air-sealed container of some type so they don't dry out.

If you print with the backing on, tip up one of the corners slightly then while laying the sheet on a flat surface, gently run a large spatula underneath to loosen.

Also, if you mess up the outside edges of the image just trim it smaller and decorate with an additional border to coverup the edge.

HTH Good Luck, K'ly

drgaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgaddy Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:49am
post #7 of 14

I had the same problem, but I solved it by putting the printed sheet into the freezer for about 1 minute before I ran it over the edge of the table, as already suggested.

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:53am
post #8 of 14

Funny I have been having problems too - and have been using them without incident for a couple of years now. Could be a change in the weather. I have been given the following tips - place the transfer onto a dvd player for approx 1/2 hour and this will dry it out sufficiently to ensure easy removal from the backing or alternately turn on your oven 100'C for 2-3 mins, turn off and place transfer inside for 10 mins, remove from backing and place it on your cake. The oven method works for me.

Am going to give the freezer tip a try too. Thanks for that!

Good luck.

veejaytx Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:46am
post #9 of 14

I've never heard of using the oven. It seems to me that putting the sheets into the oven could cause the sugar to melt or burn and possibly damage the backing (which appears to be a plastic of some kind.)

I'd also would not want to print without the backing on the sheets, for one thing it could mess up your measurements, but mostly I would worry more about the sheets tearing or getting stuck in the printer.

Obviously everybody has their own method that works best for them.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:51am
post #10 of 14

Thank you all for your tips. I will try them before I have to do it on a cake that I am selling. thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:59am
post #11 of 14

Guess you could print several small images, and try each of the methods to see what works best without using a lot of whole sheets. LOL

troyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troyfan Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:32am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I've never heard of using the oven. It seems to me that putting the sheets into the oven could cause the sugar to melt or burn and possibly damage the backing (which appears to be a plastic of some kind.)

I'd also would not want to print without the backing on the sheets, for one thing it could mess up your measurements, but mostly I would worry more about the sheets tearing or getting stuck in the printer.

Obviously everybody has their own method that works best for them.

I agree!!!!!!!

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:12am
post #13 of 14

With reference to the oven tip I posted yesterday - Please note that the oven is off - its just a gentle heat which helps to dry out the transfer enough so it comes off the backing easily without tearing.

bakesweet06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakesweet06 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 14

The freezer works for me, make sure you donât leave the too long because they freeze and might break. I just leave them in there for 1-2 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%