It's Official, I Hate Mmf

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm by lutie

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #1 of 48

So I used it twice and realized how much better it tasted. The texture is awful though. It seems I have to add a TON of crisco to make it pliable and even then it's prone to tearing. I've never been able to roll it really thin either. Even though Wilton's fondant tastes terrible, it is SO much easier to work with.

I forgot to mention, my last batch of MMF fried my trusty KA too. icon_cry.gif I'll be holding a funeral for it tomorrow at 10am for those of you who want to pay your respects. icon_razz.gif

Is MichelleF's any better?

47 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:28am
post #2 of 48

OMG what directions where you following that even suggested to use your KA for mixing fondant? I've been making MMF for quite a while and really the only other fondant I've ever used was Wilton's (while taking the Wilton classes...) and this MMF is as pliable, flexible, and smooth (if not better) than Wilton's. The recipe/directions I have followed with great results are in the Wilton discussin forum from "bunnywoman" under title "Marshmallow fondant recipe and tips for success". I have used this MMF for everything from very realistic roses, by mixing 1/3 gumpaste to 2/3 MMF, to wedding cakes, to 3-d figurines(also w/ gumpaste). Don't give up on MMF, just look at different directions, it is such a money saver...and so versatile.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #3 of 48

I use my KA with the dough hook to make MMF all the time! It makes it sooooo much easier. Sorry to hear it blew yours! Any idea what you did different this time to make that happen? Hoping to avoid what ever it was you did. icon_lol.gif

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:49am
post #4 of 48

I am kinda new to all this but I have found that warming it up a bit in the microwave works better than adding crisco. I used store bought for my first cake and then tried the MMF and haven't used the store again. Now keep in mind I am only on about my 15th cake though.

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw902

I am kinda new to all this but I have found that warming it up a bit in the microwave works better than adding crisco. I used store bought for my first cake and then tried the MMF and haven't used the store again. Now keep in mind I am only on about my 15th cake though.

Also try adding a little corn syrup to the MMF. Really aids in the pliability. HTH

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:22am
post #6 of 48

YES YES YES!!! Michele Foster's is SO SO SO much better! I used to always make MMF and I got used to it's tearing nature, but now I LOVE Michele Foster's recipe. It tastes good (and you can make it any flavor you want!) and it is so much easier to work with then MMF. Oh, and I use my KA with a dough hook as well. It's so much less messy when making fondant.

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:22am
post #7 of 48

I loved the way that I could work with MMF, however my family can not stand the taste of it. They say it is TOOOOOOO Sweet. I don't know how to cut the sweetnes or make it taste better for them.

So I stopped using it. The last cake I did, I used Wilton and just told people to pick it off.

I tried making the cream cheese fondant (recipe found on here) however I couldn't get it right.

My next step is to try Satin Ice... Not sure what to do though....

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:53am
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki72905

I loved the way that I could work with MMF, however my family can not stand the taste of it. They say it is TOOOOOOO Sweet. I don't know how to cut the sweetnes or make it taste better for them.

So I stopped using it. The last cake I did, I used Wilton and just told people to pick it off.

I tried making the cream cheese fondant (recipe found on here) however I couldn't get it right.

My next step is to try Satin Ice... Not sure what to do though....

Try adding just a pinch of salt.. this will help cut the sweetness a bit.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 48

Rest in Peace, little KA! icon_sad.gif
I hate MMF too! - don't like making it, can't stand the mess, and find it's unreliable. I gave up and switched to SatinIce. It's worth my sanity!

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

Is MichelleF's any better?

Yes Michelle's is WAY better IMHO. I started out using MMF after I took the Wilton classes. Then eventually I switched to Toba's. Finally I tried Michelle's after putting it off for awhile. Best one EVER! Try it - trust me you won't regret it! thumbs_up.gif

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 48

What is the recipe for that one ( Michelle F.)? I can't find it.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 48

Here is the link to Michele Foster's fondant. I have not tried it yet but may just for the heck of it even though MMF works great for me. It has great reviews: www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3662-michele-fosters-delicious-fondant.html

blue123 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 48

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 48

Can someone please tell me what kind of gelatin the recipe refers to?

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #16 of 48

I have a question. Where can I find glycerin? I'm about an hour away from a Michaels store or another cake supply store. Is there a substitute?

blue123 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 48

Problem...I clicked on the link and it was empty.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:55pm
post #19 of 48

try Karo syup instead.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm
post #20 of 48

any pharmacy will have glycerine. Michele Fosters Fondant is THE BEST!!! Highly recommend it to anyone.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #21 of 48

I made some marshmallow fondant once. I do not to chew frosting. I wish cake decorating would not have moved so much to fondant instead of Buttercream. I will not use fondant unless it is for a accent. Whenever I make a cake for friend or family they all love buttercream. So do I. I also love piping. I wish buttercream would come back as popular as it use to be.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:27pm
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

I have a question. Where can I find glycerin? I'm about an hour away from a Michaels store or another cake supply store. Is there a substitute?

Walmart has the Wilton brand in the cake deco aisle.

disneynutbsv Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 48

my walmart doesn't have iticon_sad.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:30am
post #24 of 48

Oh No! Don't bury the mixer? How old is it? If it is really old DEFINITELY don't get rid of it!!

I fried a KA AND a DeLonghi before I learned my lesson with MMF (okay, yes, I am a little slow sometimes!)

But I had BOTH repaired. Cheaper than a new mixer and if your KA is older the new ones are just not a well made.

Totally worth it, so your KA is not dead, just in a MMF induced coma.

I personally will never make fondant again, too scared! icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:50am
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

Sun Harvest or Whole Foods will have it. I bought a 16 oz bottle from Sun Harvest the other day, and it was only $8.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

Can someone please tell me what kind of gelatin the recipe refers to?

Please, please...what kind of gelatin does this recipe use??? and where do I get it?

TIA

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #27 of 48

I havne't made it, but it's likely Knox gelatine that you get in the grocery store. It's near the Jello - usually on the top shelf. it's just plain gelatin.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #28 of 48

After trying different ways of making MMF (there are more than you'd think on CC) this is what I came up with:

Use a large pyrex bowl (not too large for your microwave). Grease the bowl with Crisco. Pour a 16oz bag of Marshmallows into the bowl, then add 2 Tbls of water and 2 tsps of flavoring (vanilla or whatever). Microwave on high for 60 seconds, then stir with a greased wooden spoon. Microwave 30 seconds more if needed, to melt all the MMs. Now place the bowl onto a folded towel on your countertop. Pour in 1/2 of a 2 lb bag of sifted confectioner's sugar and stir with the wooden spoon. Once this is mixed in then put the spoon aside and rub a little Crisco onto your hands. Pour in a the other 1/2 of sifted conf. sugar and begin mixing with your hands. If it starts to stick to your hands just use a little more Crisco. Once a ball forms knead it a few times, then put the whole ball onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it up nice and snug, with no air. Put the whole thing into a ziplock bag and press out the air and seal. Now let it rest for a couple of hours or overnight. The whole process from start to finish takes only a few minutes. It took me longer to sift the sugar!

When you're ready to roll out the fondant use cornstarch, not conf. sugar. The constarch is SO much better, makes the fondant nice and easy to work with and it cleans up with a soft pastry brush once it's on the cake.

It's easy, quick, not messy and works beautifully. One note...the marshmallows need to be FRESH cause if they're not they just melt into a messy blob and they very difficult to work with. That's when you'll need all the extra Crisco. If your marshmallows are fresh you shouldn't need to add extra Crisco at all, just what you use on the bowl and your hands.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #29 of 48

I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe and I have always had great results. I even use my KA with a dough hook and it comes out great. Took too long and messy to knead by hand.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

I have found it works better if I just leave it be for an hour or so instead of overnight. Oh and if you are going to have the fondant be all one color - coloring it while it is hot and mixing helps to get the color in it faster. I don't have the princess cookie emulsion - I have just used orange or lemon extract and it tastes like circus peanuts when I am done. It rolls out beautifully.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I havne't made it, but it's likely Knox gelatine that you get in the grocery store. It's near the Jello - usually on the top shelf. it's just plain gelatin.

Thank you so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%