How Long In Advance Can You Make Your Cakes?

Decorating By marie92001 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm by kerri729

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 13

I have 2 cakes that i need to make for this saturday and i am VERY busy wednesday & thursday with clinicals. I was wondering if i can make them tuesday and freeze them until friday when i can decorate them.
Will they taste yucky?
Thank you!
Donna

12 replies
LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:44am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie92001

I have 2 cakes that i need to make for this saturday and i am VERY busy wednesday & thursday with clinicals. I was wondering if i can make them tuesday and freeze them until friday when i can decorate them.
Will they taste yucky?
Thank you!
Donna

I have done that before and they were fine. Sometimes I will freeze them ahead with a crumb coat, but once I made a cake a couple days early on accident, froze it, and it was perfect. I think the key is to make sure it is wrapped up good.

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #3 of 13

I do it all the time. I'm doing a two tier cake for baby shower on Sat. I baked them today, when they are cooled I freeze them unwrapped for about 1 hour then wrap them in plastic wrap, then in foil and back into the freezer they go. I will fill and decorate on Thurs. As long as they are wrapped well they will be just as fresh as the day you baked them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #4 of 13

When I have to bake ahead, I always bake on Monday or Tuesday for a Saturday wedding. Wrap in saran and put in freezer. I think it actually makes them moister, and DEFINITELY easier to work with!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 13

I actually prefer cakes that I have frozen. I agree they are moister.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 13

I agree with indydebi, freezing definately makes them easier to work with, especially if there's carving involved. I don't do it all the time, but when I have, i've never had any problems

Berecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Berecca Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #7 of 13

Yeah, I freeze mine sometimes, too. And no one has ever complained - in fact, some people have said that my cakes are the best they've ever tasted! I just let them cool, wrap them well in 2 layers of saran wrap, wrap them in heavy duty foil and stick them in the freezer. I usually torte them first if I'm gonna torte them - just makes them ready to go when I need to use them.

Berecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Berecca Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #8 of 13

Oh, another thing to remember when you freeze a cake - make sure you keep the cake wrapped up in the saran wrap while it's defrosting - otherwise condensation will collect on the cake as it defrosts - makes for a sticky, wet outside of the cake - don't want that.

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #9 of 13

I usually get mine out of the oven level it in the pan and wrap it in saran wrap asap! Them pop in in the freezer hot so that the steam stays in the cake instead of escaping. The cake becomes nice and dense (i use duncan hines) and people always ask for my recipe in awe that i have whipped something up from scratch (since they know i have a 3 and 4 year old). I always laugh and tell them it's a box mix but i never reveal my secret icon_wink.gif

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you all! You dont know how much time you have saved me! With clinicals and a 3 yr old home with me it has saved a LOT of time!!!!
I can make them today and finish them on friday! (i am off) yeah!
Thanks !
Donna

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitallmom

I agree with indydebi, freezing definately makes them easier to work with, especially if there's carving involved. I don't do it all the time, but when I have, i've never had any problems

Do you carve while still frozen? I have a cake in the freezer that I need to carve Thursday after work and was hoping to carve frozen to minimize crumbs.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 13

Tiggy2, the once or twice I have carved it was so much better when I did it frozen.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 13

All of my cakes are frozen, even if only for one day- you will get alot of similar responses. They always come out nice and moist- make sure you cool them completely, then wrap in saran wrap, I also put aluminum foil on them, then into a plastic grocery or garbage (unscented) bag, depending on the size. Then when I thaw, I take off the outer bag, leave the aluminum and saran on them, let them thaw on the counter, and then crumb coat, fill, then let set for several hours before the final icing. Tiggy2- I just did my firs TT cake this weekend, and I did carve it while frozen- sooo much easier, then just re-wrap it, and let it thaw.
Just my 2 cents! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%