Satin Ice Disaster

Decorating By k96002 Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm by k96002

k96002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k96002 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 27

I have done several wedding cakes, always with fondant no problem. I had one last weekend that called for Ivory, and was four tiers. So I decided to order Satin Ice already colored Ivory as I had heard such great things about it. I have NO idea what I did wrong...but it was horrible!! It was drying and litterly cracking all over. It was a mess. Luckily I had left over fondant, died it and my cake turned out beautiful and was a hit. Did I do something wrong? Did I miss something?? At this point I would never order the stuff again. I must have thrown out $30.00 worth of it that I had to replace with fondant. The night before the wedding....ugg it was a mess. Any tips on that???

26 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:20am
post #2 of 27

wow if it were cracking it means it was too dry.. all you really had to do was add a little bit of shortening and knead... I wouldn't of given up to the point of throwing it away .. it's awesome to work with

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 27

sounds like you just needed to knead some shortening into it. and maybe roll it a little thicker. i LOVE satin ice

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #4 of 27

I've had success with Satin Ice too. I roll mine out on a mat covered lightly in shortening and with a roller lightly rubbed with shortening. I find less cracking and tearing that way. Plus, I roll it a bit thicker.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #5 of 27

I only use cornstarch.. BUT I knead the fondant straight out of the bucket for like 5 minutes before I do anything with it.. if it feels dry (when ya turn it over on to itself and it cracks) then I add just a tad of shortening on my hands and work it in... then I roll it out on the corn starch being careful to lift and turn AND if I have to walk away I cover quickly so it won't dry out quickly icon_smile.gif

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #6 of 27

I use Satin Ice all the time and love it. The last batch I ordered the choc was really dry and cracking. I did add shortening to it and it was fine. But usually I don't Kneed (hee hee icon_smile.gif ) to do anything to it.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #7 of 27

Yes, this happened to me, too. Not is ivory, but in white. It kept cracking and tearing, no matter what I did. I added shortening, kneaded it for a long time, the list went on and on and on. I was in tears. And it was for a comp. cake that I had to forfeit because of the issue.
What finally happened was that I got a replacement batch, and have never had an issue before or after.
If you want to file a complaint, you can PM me, and I'll tell you what batch number gave me a problem.

womanzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
womanzano Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #8 of 27

I had the same problem the first time I used Satin Ice. I didn't try it again but with your guys' tips I think I will because it definitely tastes better than Wilton's. Thanks!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #9 of 27

yes...I too have had problems...you have to work fast with Satin Ice...I've used it where I have added colors AND shortening to it...and then I still got a tear in it!

I am actually scared to still use it...because I can NOT spread it on a cake correctly! and I am good at doing a round cake! and I need to use it for a wedding in sept. :O

summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:26am
post #10 of 27

What do you guys think of Fondex? I took a class with Bronwen a couple of weeks ago, and she says she only uses Fondex. I've never tried it. Where can you buy it cheaply?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

What do you guys think of Fondex? I took a class with Bronwen a couple of weeks ago, and she says she only uses Fondex. I've never tried it. Where can you buy it cheaply?

I really like Fondx. I use Satin Ice for the colors and for the chocolate fondant. I used the ivory Satin Ice and didn't have a problem.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #12 of 27

Try Cal-Java for Fondx. I bought some at ICES...it worked well. Satin Ice can be too soft some times. I don't use it for bows or booties. I use with Fondx or Wilton.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #13 of 27

I got a 20lb batch about a month ago that was dry and cracking. I couldn't add enough shortening to make it work.
I kneaded and kneaded and it had a spongy texture and kept tearing when i tried to lift it.
Luckily I was just covering a dummy cake, so i can peel it off and start over, but it was about 70 dollars down the drain!

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:46am
post #14 of 27

I love Satin Ice. I have also used Fondx and it is just as easy to work with but the taste is bland so you can add your own flavorings. Personally, I just don't want to add this extra step, but it really does need some added flavoring. Satin Ice is already flavored with vanilla and tastes great. My daughter eats it without the cake! I have never had a problem with Satin Ice and usually buy it really cheap thru intotheoven.com. Even with shipping it is about $30 cheaper for the 20lb tub than my local cake store.
Also, I think Fondx is made by Caljava and I know they hold classes with Bronwen so I don't know if they sponsor her class (- just a guess.)
BOTH are WAY better than Wilton which tastes like Play-Doh!
I think you must have had a bad batch.

summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturiere

I got a 20lb batch about a month ago that was dry and cracking. I couldn't add enough shortening to make it work.
I kneaded and kneaded and it had a spongy texture and kept tearing when i tried to lift it.
Luckily I was just covering a dummy cake, so i can peel it off and start over, but it was about 70 dollars down the drain!

That's the same exact problem I had! With the 20lb bucket of white/vanilla Satin Ice. I really think there must have been a bad batch, because I've never had an issue before.

tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

That's the same exact problem I had! With the 20lb bucket of white/vanilla Satin Ice. I really think there must have been a bad batch, because I've never had an issue before.

I just tried to pm you, but that service is under maintenance.
Is there a way to get a replacement? The batch number was 801253.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #17 of 27

I use Satin Ice and have never had those problems....but even straight outta the bucket, you have to knead the stuff...just when you think your done kneading it, knead it some more.
You have to do this with FondX as well....knead, knead, knead.
They both taste good to meicon_wink.gif

tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

I use Satin Ice and have never had those problems....but even straight outta the bucket, you have to knead the stuff...just when you think your done kneading it, knead it some more.
You have to do this with FondX as well....knead, knead, knead.
They both taste good to meicon_wink.gif

Hey wendy!!

I think I got hold of a bad batch. I kneaded and kneaded and added shortening. In fact, to give you and idea about how much I kneaded it, I colored the whole 20 lb batch to a wedgewood blue. Now that is a LOT of kneading. But the texture was weird...it was spongy.
I managed to cover the dummy cake finally, but several days later, there were little cracks all over the finished cake. It is a total loss. I have to remove it and start over.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #19 of 27

I use a LOT of SatinIce and have never had a problem. I suspect, too, that you got a bad batch.

SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:15am
post #20 of 27

I only use Fondx and I love it!!! I find that it is smoother than Pettinice or Satin Ice and has great flavor, but like most fondants the sweetness is too much for most people. So, I always flavor my fondant with candy oils...cranrasp, lemon or peppermint. Adding citrus or mint flavor cuts the sweetness and makes it sooooooooo yummy!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #21 of 27

...so sorry ya got a bummer batch...maybe you can write the company and/or place ya bought it from....????
Its worth a shot, just see what they say...?????

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #22 of 27

I've never had an issue w/Satin Ice either. It's never gotten weird, even after coloring or rerolling several times. I'd contact the company, not only for replacement purposes, but for factory correction purposes as well. I believe companies
depend on their consumers to alert them of issues that their tests may have missed. Good luck with whatever you use in the future.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #23 of 27

I hate the red and black SI - too dry and has a matte finish that always have to rub with Crisco to make it look decent!

During winter I've nothing but success with MMF (I add glycerine and salt), but the warm summer days are makng it a little more difficult to finesse--more PS, for example.

I am going to try FondX but I hope I hate it because I have a hard time spending so much money when MMF costs about $3 to make.

summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #24 of 27

When I had my issues with it, Into The Oven sent me a replacement batch. Satin Ice also offered to, but I didn't take them up on it since ITO had already offered. So, you may have some luck as well.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:02am
post #25 of 27

Check on the bucket and see if they sent you an expired batch. I just used Ivory Satin Ice a couple of weeks ago with no problems. I always coat my hands well with shortening before I start kneading, though.

tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Check on the bucket and see if they sent you an expired batch. I just used Ivory Satin Ice a couple of weeks ago with no problems. I always coat my hands well with shortening before I start kneading, though.

just checked and the date on the bottom was 11/07...I am guessing this was the production date...the date on the lid was 12/11.

the SI I bought a month later has the date on the bottom of 1/08 and it was a great batch.

k96002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k96002 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm
post #27 of 27

Seems like everyone either loves it or not!! I had not heard about the shortning trick or I def. would have tried that. I just assumed it was just like fondant, and have never had to do that before. Thanks everyone, and I will look at the batch #'s and expiration date, and although I used or threw all of it away...I may contact the company. I have to say I will be alittle hesitant to use it again...was to close of a call with wedding the next day!! I am thinking fondant is wonderful...my concern was getting all the tiers to be the same color ivory is what made me order it in the first place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%