Anybody Used Bettercreme?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 4:59am by onebigdogmama

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 17

I heard this is what Baskin Robbins uses to decorate their cakes. I think you have to have a retail store to buy it though.

16 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 17

No, you do not need a retail store or business license to buy it, you just need to have someone near you who sells it. Some Sam's, BJ's, Wal-Mart SuperCenters will sell it to the general public from their stock. Some locations sell it in a frozen liquid form, in a carton, which you whip up at home, others sell it pre-whipped (you want the frozen liquid form). My local supply store sells a similar brand, which I actually prefer (Whip'n Ice) the taste of.

And don't let them sell you anything which is not frozen solid. That means it has been sitting out long enough to thaw.

The person whom I consider the resident expert on Bettercreme is literally busy having her baby right now (Melvira), so this is not a good time to try and ask her questions about the product.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 17

I've used it....I buy it in liquid form at GFS, you don't need to have any membership or anything there. It's about 3-4 a container and will ice a whole 1/2 sheet cake, or basically it is enough to ice 2 cake mixes...I love love love the stuff and get rave reviews everytime I use it!

I can stay out of the fridge on a cake for up tp 5 days without refridgeration. Once you open the container of bettercreme it says to use it before 7 days...I actually used some after then and it still was fine. Also, whatever you don't use right away you can freeze again.

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 17

I called WalMart and they won't sell it to me. GFS said they could order a case for me for $40, but I don't need that much. Only Sam's club sells, it and I don't have a membership. I think I need to find a similar recipe to make at home.

I found at the Wilton site someone suggested taking cool whip and mixing powdered sugar into it until it was decorating consistency.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #5 of 17

Where do you live? I can't believe your GFS doesn't stock it. Maybe you got a hold of someone who didn't know what they were talking about. My GFS carries it in several forms. Rich's Bettercream is the brand name they sell and it is YUMMY!

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindywith3boys

Where do you live? I can't believe your GFS doesn't stock it. Maybe you got a hold of someone who didn't know what they were talking about. My GFS carries it in several forms. Rich's Bettercream is the brand name they sell and it is YUMMY!

I'm near Nashville. I talked to one of the managers and he had to go in his office and look it up in a book. I believed him, but maybe I'm naive!!!

mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #7 of 17

Do you have another GFS near you? I think a carton of it cost like $5. I wouldn't pay $40. That's NUTS! If it weren't for refrigeration, I could mail you some cheaper than that!

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #8 of 17

That GFS store is brand new, and I have never heard of any others.

mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:22am
post #9 of 17

This might be a little nibby, but I looked up GFS in TN. I called two, one in Brentwood and one in Goodlettsville and they both have it in stock. Chocolate 2# for $4.79 and vanilla for 3.99.

But, maybe there is a Nashville somewhere else.

~Mindy

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:36am
post #10 of 17

Brentwood is the one near me. Are you KIDDING me? They said they have the stuff?

So when I called I asked for Rich's Bettercreme Icing. Did I ask for the wrong thing?

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #11 of 17

I love it. GFS sells the quarts for 3.99 (sale price) 4.49 regular price. A case of 12 is 45.00.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #12 of 17

i have used the chocolate and vanilla.... a friend of mine owns a cafe, and she gets it for me..... i whip it just like it says to do.... don,t overwhip.... a member here... Thanh Thanh.... i think that is how you spell it.... that is all she uses..... she gets it from sams.... she gets the large bucket already wipped.... look at her cakes.... they are amazing.... they both taste really good to me.... costco uses pastry pride, i do believe... but they do not sell it... i asked at the wal-mart close to me, they told me to go to sams.....

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i have used the chocolate and vanilla.... a friend of mine owns a cafe, and she gets it for me..... i whip it just like it says to do.... don,t overwhip.... a member here... Thanh Thanh.... i think that is how you spell it.... that is all she uses..... she gets it from sams.... she gets the large bucket already wipped.... look at her cakes.... they are amazing.... they both taste really good to me.... costco uses pastry pride, i do believe... but they do not sell it... i asked at the wal-mart close to me, they told me to go to sams.....

I LOVE her cakes! I have a bunch saved to my personal favorites!

mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #14 of 17

I talked to a man at Brentwood and he put me on hold, came back and said that they had vanilla and chocolate and gave me the prices. The only thing I can tell you is that you got a hold of someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I just asked for Rich's bettercream. I said "It's kind of like whipped cream, in the refrigerated case?" Yep. They have it! icon_rolleyes.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #15 of 17

Theresa, who makes the Whip'n'Ice? I cannot find the frozen Bettercreme. I can get the bucket already whipped(Sams) but it takes so much space in the freezer! We don't have a GFS in this area.
Linda

LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindywith3boys

I talked to a man at Brentwood and he put me on hold, came back and said that they had vanilla and chocolate and gave me the prices. The only thing I can tell you is that you got a hold of someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I just asked for Rich's bettercream. I said "It's kind of like whipped cream, in the refrigerated case?" Yep. They have it! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks a bunch! Like I said, that store is very new, so maybe people don't know what they have yet!

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:59am
post #17 of 17

If someone is quoting you $40, then it is probably the big 5 gallon bucket size. We use that at DQ. The vanilla and the chocoate and yes, don't whip it that much when you add color it will get hard and look dried out. The liquid one that you whip yourself can run anywhere from $6 to $16 depending on the size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%