Clean Sharp Corners

Decorating By twistedsplinters Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm by MommaLlama

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 5

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW THEY GET THEIR NICE SHARP CORNERS ON THEIR ROUND TIERED CAKES, MY CAKES ALWAYS HAVE THE SMOOTH EDGES BUT NOT SHARP. I USE THE ROLLER TO SMOOTH THE BUTTERCREAM BUT THEY ROUNDS THEM OFF INSTEAD OF GIVING THEM THAT SHARP STRAIGHT LOOK??

4 replies
audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:02am
post #2 of 5

I would also like to know, not only on round cakes but square ones also.
How do you keep the sharp edge when you cover in fondant also? Mine always are very rounded. Thanks!

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 5

I think what you are talking about is the top edge. Right? The way you get it is to Ice and smooth your top then ice the sides a little higher than the top. Then use a hot icing spatula holding it horizontal at the edge of the cake and sweep across the cake toward the middle. Keep turning the cake and just keep doing it with a hot spatula towards the middle. When you've gone all the way around, you should have a pretty smooth top, but you may need to smooth out a little bit with a viva.

I hope you can understand this. And I HTH.

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:34am
post #4 of 5

Thanks I will try that!

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 5

Sharons buttercream dvd shows this process step by step and gives several other tips on how to get perfect buttercream. I have all of her dvd's they are wonderful!

Here's a link

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.php

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%