What Is Going On?????

Decorating By Mac Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm by Doug

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:55pm
post #61 of 89

The only thing that my husband said will stop it is to clean the machine out completely. This trojan attaches itself and is a vicious little program. He tried to track it down and stomp it out, but it kept renaming itself and attaching itself to different things in the system.

It's gonna call for a complete overhaul to be honest... or else it will sit in hiding and raise it's nasty little head when you least expect it.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #62 of 89

Yeppers me too same thing to all of the above. I had to allow cake central as being safe for Norton to allow me on the page. I hope it's safe???????????????????????? I sure don't want a virus. I can't figure out for the life of me what people find so amusing about attaching things and ruining stuff for people. No lives I guess. icon_surprised.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #63 of 89

Same things for me too. Picked up the trojan and my outlook keeps locking up - I blamed it on my son and his buddy visiting off the wall sites - I never thought I might have picked it up on CC. I guess I owe them an apology. Unfortunately - I don't have a live in computer fixer - I've been off and on for several days now trying to run it down myself - but it looks like i'm going to have to pay someone to fix the problem. . .

hackers suck!

Debbie

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:17pm
post #64 of 89

Have these all been PC problems or do any of you having issues have a Mac?

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #65 of 89

My MACFroze, and I could not shut down, so I had to force it by pressing the power button, once I was up again it was fine.

mamajan61 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:02pm
post #66 of 89

From what I've heard... whoever developed this little devil is obviously very smart... it's shutting down macs and pc's... my husband has reported it to all the virus software folks... it's slipping through all of them at this point...

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #67 of 89

This must be a new one because the one I heard of can only effect a MAC if you download on your mac if a prompt as you to.

thecakemaker Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #68 of 89

I no longer have internet at home because of all of this and i'm having other issues with my computer.

Debbie

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

I no longer have internet at home because of all of this and i'm having other issues with my computer.

Debbie

I don't understand?

Googling I found that in the past there have been trojans attached to some of the ads on CC, just by looking at some tech forums. I've had no problems with any of this. I never ever click on any of the ads.

I did get the phishing page, but I just got out of it each time, no problems.

How does everyone think they got the Trojan? And how in the world can it take away your internet? I can't imagine how that happens.

thecakemaker Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #70 of 89

My computer protection at home has picked up several trojans and worms since I contracted this one - i'm assuming that they're all associated since i've never had any of it in the past. The issues they are causing has slowed me down tremendously (sp) and began with the re-directs and is now re-directing me to the point that when I sign on I sometimes get the home page then the re-directs actually shut me down. I was working with tech via my work computer this morning and will need to follow up with a phone call from home this evening after I try a few things. Wish me luck! I'm thinking that everything rode this trojan in. . .

Debbie

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:50pm
post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

My windows mail froze up and we can't use it. We switched it to Outlook Express, and now we're starting t ohave problems with it not sending. Messages just sit in the outbox, so nothing works. I wonder if this could be related to this trojan? How do you find out if your computer has it?

I'm having a different type of problem with CC. I open it, and after a few minutes, it either says not responding, and IE restarts itself, or I close the net (or think I do!) and when I come back to the computer, CC is opened in like 300 different windows, and still opening! It will be the last page of CC I was on and thought I closed! The only way to stop it is to turn the machine off manually! CC is the ONLY place we have this happen! I talked to a friend yesterday who used to frequent CC, and she said she had the same problem! Any idea how to stop this, or what's causing it?

I have exactly the same thing. My dh showed me to open my task manager and then check the CPU usage, whenever Im on CC with no other programs running, the CPU runs at 85-95%. He says its a sure sign of some trouble on the site icon_surprised.gif He says he'll re-do my computer over the weekend, but then I cant get back on here until all the problems are sorted out icon_cry.gif How am I going to survive icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

mamajan61 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #72 of 89

My husband has also said that CC is off limits... He plans on spending his Father's Day weekend working on my computer... I feel so bad about it... I, too, blaimed my son for picking up something off of Myspace.com but it wasn't from there. My husband tracked every bit of it down to CC...

You don't have to click on the ads to get it either... I have never clicked on any of the ads. I've been in advertising for so long, the ads don't entice me...

My biggest concern is this.... not once, have I seen any memorandum from the owners of the website about all of this... no apologies... no explanations... nothing. They've explained the server being down for maintenance, but to my knowledge, this issue of the trojan has not been addressed. I know that I personally sent Heath a PM about all of it last week before the halifax page came up and he responded that my trojan/spyware invader did not come from CC... well, I beg to differ, but I'm afraid it did.

Maybe I shouldn't even question their motives for not addressing the issue, but I know if there were problems on my website and I found out it was causing such a widespread problem, I would certainly address it on the home page....

Now, all of us are infected, and we're going to have to shut down our systems, some of us that are not fortunate enough to have a computer programmer in the family, will have to pay money to get their system revamped... It just seems to me that some type of acknowledgement should be issued...

Maybe it's just me that feels that way.... If I've offended anyone with this, I sincerly apologize.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:05am
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

My husband has also said that CC is off limits... He plans on spending his Father's Day weekend working on my computer... I feel so bad about it... I, too, blaimed my son for picking up something off of Myspace.com but it wasn't from there. My husband tracked every bit of it down to CC...

You don't have to click on the ads to get it either... I have never clicked on any of the ads. I've been in advertising for so long, the ads don't entice me...

My biggest concern is this.... not once, have I seen any memorandum from the owners of the website about all of this... no apologies... no explanations... nothing. They've explained the server being down for maintenance, but to my knowledge, this issue of the trojan has not been addressed. I know that I personally sent Heath a PM about all of it last week before the halifax page came up and he responded that my trojan/spyware invader did not come from CC... well, I beg to differ, but I'm afraid it did.

Maybe I shouldn't even question their motives for not addressing the issue, but I know if there were problems on my website and I found out it was causing such a widespread problem, I would certainly address it on the home page....

Now, all of us are infected, and we're going to have to shut down our systems, some of us that are not fortunate enough to have a computer programmer in the family, will have to pay money to get their system revamped... It just seems to me that some type of acknowledgement should be issued...

Maybe it's just me that feels that way.... If I've offended anyone with this, I sincerly apologize.

(Psst...Heath acknowledged the problem a few days ago. Someone posted the link to that thread on page four I believe of this thread.)

Here is the link again...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-590430.html

maryjsgirl Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:07am
post #74 of 89

BTW...I am so glad I was out of town while this happened. thumbs_up.gif

mamajan61 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:21am
post #75 of 89

I understand that he acknowledged the hacking problem... but the hacking problem and the fact that we've contracted a trojan are two completely different things...

The phishing site wasn't where the trojan was delivered from... that came from within CC... So, many people don't understand, we're dealing with two different issues...

maryjsgirl Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

I understand that he acknowledged the hacking problem... but the hacking problem and the fact that we've contracted a trojan are two completely different things...

The phishing site wasn't where the trojan was delivered from... that came from within CC... So, many people don't understand, we're dealing with two different issues...

Maybe you should post something in the technical support forum? It seems like Heath pays more attention to that forum than the others.

Are you sure the trojan didn't come from the redirect?

I have had one of those trojans that attaches to all parts of your directory and duplicates itself when you try to get rid of it. It SUCKS! So I really hope whatever it was is fixed. It would really be nice to know one way or the other.

mamajan61 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:37am
post #77 of 89

I had gotten ahold of mine two weeks ago... that's what prompted the PM to Heath... but he kept saying it didn't come from CC when I know full well, it did... After my husband had cleaned out the whole machine... reloaded all the programs... the first place I even went to was CC... and WHAM... there it was again.

That's when I notified Heath...

ziggytarheel Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:31am
post #78 of 89

I'm still not understanding how you can be positive it was CC where the Trojan came from?

Normally, there is evidence in your computer that says where the Trojan came from? I don't understand how I've been on CC a lot while all this is going on and haven't had a bit of trouble. My virus protection has not even whimpered about anything.

I can see if it came from an ad someone clicked on, but explain how we all didn't get the Trojan?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 10:58am
post #79 of 89

Please tell me I don't have major problems!! I'm a single mom now and can't afford to have my computer go down. My computer genius is in Iraq for a year! What will happen???? I have virus scanners on my computer so why would it still slip in there? I can't tell that I have a virus. How do I know? HELP!!!!

thecakemaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #80 of 89

Everything slipped right by my protection.

I don't click on the adds.

Maybe just a sticky on the home page that says that some CC members are having problems that may or may not be related to CC would be nice.

Debbie

mamajan61 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #81 of 89

I agree with thecakemaker... Just something stating that they're aware of the "trojan/spyware" ... cause there's a lot of people that are probably not even aware they have anything... hence the name: "spyware" .

Folks have to understand that all of the virus protection softwares are not completely up to date on every thing that's out there... Once they're aware of new "bugs" they start working on being able to stamp them out... but even then, there are times that they're only able to "quarantine" them.

I just personally think it would be nice for the owners to acknowledge that there are several that have picked up a bug and they're working to track it down and eliminate it.

ziggytarheel Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #82 of 89

Maybe I've missed something, but other than everyone whose had the Trojan saying they were on CC and then had trouble, what proof it there?

When I look at these tech forums where Trojans are discussed, they ALWAYS show in the directory where the Trojan is and how it is identified. The Trojan can be identified that way, right? Otherwise, it really is conjecture. I know that people have techies that they know and love, but before we accuse, don't we need evidence?

And if it is so bad, why do people keep coming back here to post?

And if you have a nasty Trojan, can't it show back up even if you think you've gotten rid of it?

I'm really saying that if there is a nasty Trojan going around and CC people have gotten it, well, correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation.

If someone could please post for us how the Trojan is identified, what it says in the directory, it would be helpful to everyone.

thecakemaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #83 of 89

You know ziggytarheel - everyone here is having a discussion and pointing things out nicely. Everything you have contributed to the thread seems to be simply snipits at those of us that have or have had problems with all of this. I think it's great that you haven't had any problems and I hope you continue to not have problems but if what we're posting bothers you that much and the issue doesn't truly concern you - don't keep coming back to the thread just to cut us that have been affected down. This seems to be the only thing / site we all have in common. I think Heath and Jackie do an awesome job trying to keep up with all of this / us. That being said - I have a lot of time invested in this site as a regular contributor here for more than 3 years. I haven't "blamed" anything on anyone and I don't feel that my suggestion on what might be nice to post on the front page was out of line. If you have something to truly contribute to this thread - by all means do - but don't come here just to try to take jabs and try to start something.

Debbie

ziggytarheel Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

You know ziggytarheel - everyone here is having a discussion and pointing things out nicely. Everything you have contributed to the thread seems to be simply snipits at those of us that have or have had problems with all of this. I think it's great that you haven't had any problems and I hope you continue to not have problems but if what we're posting bothers you that much and the issue doesn't truly concern you - don't keep coming back to the thread just to cut us that have been affected down. This seems to be the only thing / site we all have in common. I think Heath and Jackie do an awesome job trying to keep up with all of this / us. That being said - I have a lot of time invested in this site as a regular contributor here for more than 3 years. I haven't "blamed" anything on anyone and I don't feel that my suggestion on what might be nice to post on the front page was out of line. If you have something to truly contribute to this thread - by all means do - but don't come here just to try to take jabs and try to start something.

Debbie

I'm am terribly, terribly sorry that I offended you! I am not taking a jab at anyone. Not in the least! I live in one of the epicenters of the tech world and am surrounded by techies in all that I do in my life. Live with one of the best! I'm not accusing, I'm simply saying that if there is a Trojan, there is, to the best of my knowledge, always evidence of how it got in. Not circumstantial evidence, but evidence left on your computer. What we all have in common is CakeCentral, so it makes sense that there could be one of two things happening: CakeCentral has a Trojan somewhere. Or this is a meeting place that everyone with the Trojan has in common.

With either scenario, it is important to know the identity, location, and methodology of the Trojan.

Please do not be upset with me. I'm simply trying to be logical and helpful about this. There are many things about this that I'm not quite understanding and does not fit with other information I'm finding online.

there is a reason that some people have this and others do not. I think it is very important for everyone that we figure that out.

I'm not upset with anyone, being snippy or trying to be anything but helpful.

again, I deeply apologize, But this issue is important enough for us to get to the bottom of it, right? And questions and different points of view are important too, right?

Again, my sincerest apologies for coming across other than I intended. I just want to help. If there is a Trojan here, I don't want it either! If it is lurking somewhere in my computer waiting to be unleashed, I want to get rid of it now! If it is important to just not come here, I want to know that too. It really is an issue for me and everyone here.

I'm very sorry that anyone is suffering through this. I just want to get to the bottom of it. It seems like if there is something dangerous, we all need to get out of here!

thecakemaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #85 of 89

No problem, maybe you or one of your techies can tell us how to find the trojan and figure out where it came from then. I'm not aware of a way to track it i'm just more interested in digging it out and getting rid of it. I currently have no internet at home but if I can find a file where it has buried itself I can get to it without the internet and dispose of it.

Debbie

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:50pm
post #86 of 89

and may I interject...

so far .... even through the days all of you who claimed to have been infected by a trojan from this site...and who were misdirected to another site....

yours truly has not:

1) been infected in the least (except for that deadly stuff called pollen -which even claritin can't handle!)

2) sent to any other site except by his own choosing.

I attribute this to three anti-virus, internet safety programs, a strong firewall, and a "process watcher" that prevents unauthorized changes to the registry (one of the things trojans HAVE to do in order to do their dirty work!)

NO more can we assume or expect ANY site to be safe.

No more can the owners/managers/sysops/boardops of any site stay ahead of the ever growing legions of hackers attacking any site they can to plant malware of all insidious sorts.

to use a rather common analogy -- if you sleep w/ one person, you've slept w/ all the people that person has slept with.

ditto for computers -- they share their "germs" every site they go to.

so just like w/ s e x --- you have to practice "safe surfing" -- get those firewalls, aniti-virus and process watcher programs up and running -- and UP TO DATE! the threats change daily!

and fyi (not a commercial endorsement at all -- in fact one of them is slated to be replaced w/ it's competitor when the subscription expires) I use:

Norton Internet Security Centers (includes anti-virus and firewall)
Ad Aware (free version that combats tracking cookies and other privacy threats
Spybot (free version -- combats privacy threats and includes process watcher/registry change management)

the primary responsibility of keeping your machine safe is on

Y O U ! !

thecakemaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #87 of 89

Doug - I agree - and the pollen thing sucks too. I don't expect that Jackie and Heath can / could stop hackers from doing what they do best. Just thought that with all of us that have been infected that it might be noted - most of us would probably continue with the site anyway. I have spyware, adware, antivirus and firewall but it still got through - maybe i'll try yours!

Debbie

thecakemaker Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #88 of 89

I never know which free spyware, adware programs to use - with being re-directed to so many i'm never sure which ones are "real" or which ones might be a "virus in hiding" just waiting to be downloaded. Thanks for the suggestions so i'll have an idea of which ones I might add to my existing ones.

Debbie

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #89 of 89

ditto to using FireFox....

that's the one Heath recommends too

OH and BTW

the newest version comes out this Tuesday, 17 June.

and they'er trying to set a truly geeky Guinness World Record by having as many as possible download it that day.

so.....get a better, safer browser and be a part of a world record (i hope) on Tuesday

details here >> http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%