Need Help With Fondant Decorations Please!!!

Baking By Niquie Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 8:22am by Niquie

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 6:57am
post #1 of 4

Hi All,
I am fairly new to cake decorating. I am self taught because where I live right now, there are no good decorating classes that don't cost an arm and a leg. I also learned most of the cake decorating I know from my Mom who was a cake decorator. I had stopped decorating (eventhough I was only a beginner anyway), because I wanted to do other things. I picked it back up recently because my Mom passed away back in October, and cooking and baking are things that she loved to do and it keeps me close to her.

Anyway, I would love to have a really good recipe for fondant. I love the stripes and polka dots that all the wonderful cake decorators here make, and I would love to learn how to do it. I'm sure my Mom knew how, but I got married and moved away and needless to say, I didn't get to bake and decorate with her very much after that. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. And I hope that I am half as good as the decorators on this site someday. Thanks, and have a beautiful, blessed day!!!

Ashley

3 replies
dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:12am
post #2 of 4

I like the MMF recipe here on CC. you can do a search and it is very easy to work with. It is easy and taste sooooooo good IMO. I took all the wiltons classes and I think I have learnd just as much if not more on here, so welcome back ....It is nice that you want to keep that memory of you and your mother......keep in touch , let me know how it is comeing.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 7:53am
post #3 of 4

I'm with dare2bloved. a) I haven't taken a single class either, nor read a book. Literally everything I've ever learned about decorating has been from this site (which is why I now donate to CC, I figure it's only fair to pay my tuition LOL). If you peek in my gallery you can see the very first cake I ever "decorated" (I use the term loosely haha) and how far I've progressed, all with the sole assistance of the amazing decorators here at CC.

So don't feel you need to make apologies or worry about what you don't have access to in the "real world" - just get yourself into the articles and forums here, read till your eyes glaze over, stop frequently to actually PRACTICE (!!) and you will be churning out those gorgeous cakes in no time!

oh and b) I agree, the basic marshmallow fondant (MMF) recipe here on CC works quite well. I started with it, it's so easy to make, but have now graduated to using "Rhonda's Ultimate MMF" from the recipe section, it's just as easy but has a few more ingredients to make it even tastier and a bit more pliable. If you are more adventurous and have access to the ingredients, Michele Foster's fondant and Toba Garrett's are also favorite recipes used here. Just don't buy the Wilton stuff LOL.

Anyway I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, but what a wonderful tribute to her to adapt her beloved pastimes into something you can enjoy too.

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 8:22am
post #4 of 4

Wow, thanks so much. I didn't expect to receive replies so soon, but I really appreciate the help. It is also good to know that I can learn things without having to pay for an expensive class. Oh, and I have tried the Wilton Fondant before. "MAN" was that the "BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!!!" LOL!!! Thanks so much for the encouraging words and I will keep you posted on how my fondant and fondant decorations turn out. One more thing, I am so in love with this site. It is very addictive and to the people who have already responded, your cakes are simply gorgeous. I really hope I am as good as you all someday.

Keep the recipes and tips coming!!! They are very much appreciated!!!

Ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%