Bc Icing Melting In Humidity!!!

Baking By Jennifer9800 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 10:10am by Mike1394

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 11

ok, i live in ky. and it gets pretty hot up here. now that summer temps are here my bc gets VERY soft even if i mix it with more pow sug and it gets a glossy clear liquid at the bottom of the border around the cake plate or base of next tier. It doesnt affect the taste but i really hate how it makes the cake look and of course if the icing sags that's definitely something I don't want. My recipe is the sharons sugar shack recipe only instead of using 4 cups of shortening i use 2 cups whole salted butter and 2 cups shortening because it makes it taste better and less of that shortening taste/feel when u eat it (in my opinon icon_wink.gif ) Any suggestions or solutions? What do u do for hot weather icing?

10 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #2 of 11

Try adding a tablespoon or two of meringue powder.

I use all shortening recipe in the summer. Most people can't tell it doesn't have butter in it.
2 cups all-vegetable shortening
2-3 tsp butter flavoring
2 1/2 tsps clear vanilla (I use Mexican vanilla--has a cinnamon-y taste)
4-5 Tablespoon water (in the summer. Winter--I use milk or whipping cream)
2# package of powdered sugar.

Sorry these are just guesstimates as I go by texture and taste of frosting.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:34am
post #3 of 11

I live in Houston, humidity capital of the world! well maybe not but it sure feels like it.

During the summer if the cake isn't going to be refridgerated the majority of the time than I have to use all shortening instead of butter. I hate doing that as I am a butter lover but any butter just melts here. You could do that or try your hand at some different fondant recipes. good luck.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:36am
post #4 of 11

Try this recipe from here on CC

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-0-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html

Being from Kansas I've had to work with the humidity also - one thing for sure you can't use butter during the hot summer months.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 5:00am
post #5 of 11

Butter/margarine has a lower melting point than shortening, so you have to factor that in with the recipe you use.

Here's the icing I've used for 25 years. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html No meltdowns. (and I'm real close to you, so I know what your temps and humidity is like).

My recipe uses about 1-1/3 cups of fat (crisco) to 2 lbs of p.sugar. In the many, many threads on this topic, I've noticed that those with melting/sliding problems tend to use about double the fat (2 cups or more) to 2 lbs of sugar.

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 5:21am
post #6 of 11

THanks for the help! All ideas are apprciated as always. but what is dream whip? Is that a grocery item or specialty item?

dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 5:35am
post #7 of 11

it is in the gro store. baking section I think this is a good topic I was having this issue myself but love the butter flavor...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 11:15am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuhmann

THanks for the help! All ideas are apprciated as always. but what is dream whip? Is that a grocery item or specialty item?

Walmart....aisle 8.....next to the Jello .... above the marshmellows. Red and blue box. Made by Kraft Foods. It's a powdered "cool whip" ..... the actual use is to add milk and whip it up into a whipped cream for topping on ice cream, cake, jello, etc.

In the icing recipe, you just use it in powder form ... don't make it into whipped cream first.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #9 of 11

[quote="JSchuhmann"]My recipe is the sharons sugar shack recipe only instead of using 4 cups of shortening i use 2 cups whole salted butter and 2 cups shortening because it makes it taste better and less of that shortening taste/feel when u eat it (in my opinon icon_wink.gif ) quote]

Are you using hi-ratio shortening?

If so, you shouldn't be having "mouth feel" issues, and the taste will be whatever flavoring you use (as Sweetex is really taste neutral).

However, I've found that recipes that use too much hi-ratio shortening in proportion to the powdered sugar can be very cloying.... (Like trying to drink heavy cream, when you're used to drinking whole milk.)

I'm very partial to cakemanOH's Brite White b/c:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2375-Brite-White-Buttercream-Icing.html

I never found a source for the Brite White icing base, but instead used Angel White icing base. Unfortunately, the only site I have now that sells Angel White does so in amounts too large for my present needs. (www.nationalflavors.com)

However, puzzlegut has made the Brite White without the icing base with success. (I haven't yet made a batch without...)

HTH

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #10 of 11

Northern minnesota here, just turned my furnace on to warm the house up since my butter that has been sitting out all day hasn't softened up. Kinda wishing I had your problem icon_lol.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:10am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuhmann

Walmart....aisle 8.....next to the Jello .... above the marshmellows. Red and blue box. Made by Kraft Foods. It's a powdered "cool whip" ..... the actual use is to add milk and whip it up into a whipped cream for topping on ice cream, cake, jello, etc.

LOLOLOL Are we chanelling our local Walmart greeter? icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%