Edible Diamond Engagement Ring

Decorating By keepsake Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm by superstar

keepsake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepsake Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 21

Has anyone ever made an "engagement ring" cake topper? I have a customer who sent me a photo with an engagement ring standing on top of the cake, and she would like me to duplicate it. I can probably figure it out, but if anyone has already done it, or has any ideas, I would love to know. My biggest question is how to make the "diamond" look realistic as possible. ALL HELP AND IDEAS ARE WELCOME!
LL

20 replies
keepsake Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:53am
post #2 of 21

I also meant to ask if anyone has ever ordered the "edible diamonds". The only places I saw them online was in New Zealand and Australia. Can you imagine the shipping on that order? icon_surprised.gif

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #3 of 21

Hi Keepsake,
I myself have not ever done one of these but thinking about your question about the diamond, I know there are quite a few websites that sell hard candy molds. Some of which are shaped like the gemstones. I have not seen one this large before but I am thinking that you may find a faceted sugar mold for another purpose that may work for this. I do know that there are even companies that make molds to order so that may be the way to go for you. I am curious though on what kind of support you would use to hold up the weight of the sugar because it seems to me like if you made the ring from gumpaste or fondant it would not be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the sugar. I am sorry I am not much help on the subject. Good luck to you.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:15am
post #4 of 21

How about a "Jello jiggler" as the diamond?

Katilia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katilia Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:27am
post #5 of 21

You could do a gum paste ring and do a sugar candy for the diamond. You could also maybe steal the jewel off of a ring pop icon_biggrin.gif

keepsake Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:40am
post #6 of 21

Those ideas are really great! (especially taking one off the ring pop!) icon_lol.gif
I hadn't yet given much thought on the support factor until I figured out what to use. The jello sounds good, I just don't know how it would hold up under the heat.

I found a site online that sells "edible diamonds" but they are in Australia and New Zealand. Don't think I can afford the shipping for just one cake. Also, time is getting away from me!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:42am
post #7 of 21

Hi...Try Jeff-the-chef.com . He is a member here on CC!! Great looking stuff on his site. I have never ordered from him but want too once I have a good enough reason icon_smile.gif Good luck!!

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:50am
post #8 of 21

I did a diamond ring last week. After seeing your picture....I'm glad my customer didn't have that one. It is a beautiful cake...mine can't compare. I spend a week looking for a mold and couldn't find one big enough. But I'm sure going to check out the edible ones....sound neat.

keepsake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 21

I finally finished this cake!!! I was unable to make the topper edible, but the customer loved it! Please check it out in the gallery and let me know what you think. Thanks for all of your help and ideas.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 21

i don't see it in your pictures...

keepsake Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabakenow

i don't see it in your pictures...

At the bottom of my reply you can click on the"photos" icon and my pictures should come up. Let me know if you still don't see them.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 21

oh i'm sorry, now i see it.

it's amazing. i love the writing and of course the topper. great job!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

Hi...Try Jeff-the-chef.com . He is a member here on CC!! Great looking stuff on his site. I have never ordered from him but want too once I have a good enough reason icon_smile.gif Good luck!!

This is exactly whom I was going to advise you contact. I have ordered from him (a bag of smaller jewels) and I was pleased with the quality of the 'stones'. He's also very friendly and helpful and in Canada, too. icon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 21

You did such a good job. What did you end up using for the ring? Grace, do you have a link to Jeff the Chef?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

You did such a good job. What did you end up using for the ring? Grace, do you have a link to Jeff the Chef?

Here you go: http://jeff-the-chef.com/

superstar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:04am
post #16 of 21

Thanks so much Grace, that is a wonderful site.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 21

You're welcome, June. Jeff is a very nice man. I e-mailed him a few questions and he answered them all and then some. He's very talented and willing to share his knowledge with others.

superstar Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 21

I just love people who share their talents, like the folk on CC, it always restores my faith in the human race.

keepsake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Here you go: http://jeff-the-chef.com/

Thank you so much. The ring was made from the top of a paper mache box and covered with fondant. It was then covered with fondant and painted. The "diamond" was from a pack of assorted glass jewels from Michaels.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #20 of 21

Cool. Thanks for sharing that, keepsake.

superstar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #21 of 21

Thank you keepsake, I will tuck that info into a little corner for use later on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%