Gumpaste Flower Question

Decorating By Lenette Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 3:11am by Sugarflowers

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

I have never made a gumpaste flower. What is a good one to start with? Is there a book you recommend? Unfortunately, classes are not an option at this time. Perhaps a video?

icon_smile.gif

5 replies
kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 6

I would recommend the Bloomin Garden video by Michele Foster. It really helped me a lot. I had never made any gumpaste flowers previously, but I've done some roses & carnations since I got the video, and I was pretty happy with my first effort! (It's the teapot cake in my photos)

I'm still practiing - I just finished making half a dozen carnations and roses for a cake next weekend!

Hope this helps!

Karen

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you! Your flowers turned out very nice!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 6

the easiest gumpaste flower to make is the calla lillie, I would get a good cutter and veiner then go from there, i really like Scott Clark Woolley's cutters and veiners they are reasonably priced and a nice quality.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 6

We started with the carnation in the Wilton class. They are easy to make and look quite realistic when finished.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 6

One of my favorite flowers to make is the daisy. Even the simple version is pretty and very quick to make. You can make single or double layer petals and still have a nice flower. The center is just a textured mound of yellow paste. When you add "pollen" to it, then it really looks nice. You just paint a small amount of gum glue (or whatever you use for glue) on the center and then sprinkle some pollen onto it.

Pollen can be made by adding powdered food color to plain gelatin. The candy colors (the cheaper candy colors) work the best. Pollen can be made in many colors and stored for later use. I have several containers of pollen in a variety of colors.

Carnations are easy, pretty, and if you break a petal it's hard to see. It's a great one for a beginner since gumpaste is so fragile.

Whatever flower you make, try to make the edges look thin by using a ball or dog-bone tool to thin and shape the petals. The tool should be 1/2 on the gumpaste piece and 1/2 on the foam pad. The least expensive foam pad is a fun foam door knocker that you can get at a Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

HTH and good luck with your flowers.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%