Please Reassure Me

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 11

ok, on my wedding day I went to the cake table, cut a piece of cake, had a pic taken, and walked away .. is that how most brides remember their cake? Please tell me this is so, and that they don't walk up to the cake and inspect it all over ... cause I got a wedding cake sitting in my fridge right now that I don't really feel is worth what I charged them .. I had a really hard time getting my icing to smooth today not sure why, tried a new recipe that may have had something to do with it ... my corners aren't sharp and I think my top layer is slightly leaning ... could someone just tell me that most brides don't nit pick over things like that on their wedding day, and that *hopefully* she just thinks it is nice and goes on her merry way to more pics!!

10 replies
maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 11

Don't worry! I'm sure most brides are like you were. I was that way too - I loved my cake but definitely didn't have time to nitpick it on my wedding day! I'm sure she will love it!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 11

LOL I couldn't even tell you what my cake looked like! Of course, 15 years ago, we had no choice, other than what color roses you wanted on it! Lots of BC swags I think. icon_smile.gif

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 11

oops sorry for the duplicate post!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #5 of 11

I couldnt tell you what my cake looked like but I can tell you that I didnt like the taste of it. Most brides dont have time to inspect their cakes or anything else for that matter! The day blurrs by and before you know it, its the end of the day, your tired and all you want to do is sleep! I know thats what I remember!!!
You also have to think that most brides are not cake designers so they dont look at cakes the same we do. We inspect because that is what we do. We can tell flaws, they cant! Just think of it this way, I used to work for a company that made the metal for buildings and the doors. Have you ever walked into an Applebees or Kohls and looked at the label below to see who made it? Ofcourse not! Not unless your in the business! So its the same with us!!!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #6 of 11

I must agree with the others, but there are some that are anal retentive. I also think you are your worst critic so what you find disappointing, your customer probably won't even know that it isn't supposed to look like that and actually love it the way it is. Do you have any pics?

TheCakerator Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 11

thanks you guys .. that does make me feel better .. I actually did two wedding right in a row both with groom's cakes .. I posted pics but had only two comments ... I guess that didn't really make me feel that good about my work, but I'm going to only do birthday cakes from now on anyways .. I feel more confident in those ..

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #8 of 11

I think all your cakes are great. I'm sorry you're discouraged. I know personally I have a difficult time seeing the cake as a whole I see it in pieces because I have been so close to all those pieces, decorating pieces that is.

My cakes have always been well recieved thought even though I see all the little flaws.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

thanks you guys .. that does make me feel better .. I actually did two wedding right in a row both with groom's cakes .. I posted pics but had only two comments ... I guess that didn't really make me feel that good about my work, but I'm going to only do birthday cakes from now on anyways .. I feel more confident in those ..

Don't take it the wrong way if you don't get comments right off. I couldn't get the site to work for half the day today!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:41am
post #10 of 11

Don't take it the wrong way if you don't get comments right off. I couldn't get the site to work for half the day today![/quote]

oh yeah I meant to add that to my post. There are lots of times that my best cakes get fewer comments than those that aren't really that great.

you can't take that as any sign of how well you do.

TheCakerator Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 11

no you are right, I can't take how well the site is working with how well my cakes are received, but I do know that neither one of those weddings cakes were my best and it shows .... thanks again for the compliments!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%