Alice In Wonderland Unbirthday Cake?

Decorating By DoniB Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 10:44am by DoniB

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone have any pics of one of these? It's the one that the Mad Hatter is wearing on his head in the cartoon. icon_razz.gif I want to do it for my cousin's birthday tomorrow, but am not sure where to start.

I'm thinking a 6, 8, 10, 12", from the bottom up, so that it forms the right shape, then carve it. Does that sound right? And I'm figuring ivory/cream buttercream, with fondant ropes and flowers, fondant candle and lotus flower on top.

I know that will be far more cake than I need, but oh well! LOL It's the cake that matters in this, not the servings. And since it's my gift to her, it's no biggie.

Thanks for any help/advice! I've never done an upside down cake like this, so it will be a first for me. eeep! icon_smile.gif
LL

5 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 7:02am
post #2 of 6

I don't have any pictures, but I can't wait to see yours! Seriously cool idea! thumbs_up.gificon_cool.gif

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 7:41am
post #3 of 6

have you seen this divorce cake???
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1184694
Is that the sort of thing you were looking for? Obviously you don't want the groom underneath!!

DoniB Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 10:45am
post #4 of 6

LOL I was just telling my MIL about that cake last night. icon_smile.gif

I found a better pic of the one I want to do. I had to sit there and play around with all my pans last night, until I got what I hope is just the right combination. I'm not sure I could even tell you what sizes without measuring them, because they're all from various sets and stuff. icon_razz.gif But I *think* I've got it figured out.

SO... The Plan is to do the bottom layer chocolate with raspberry frosting, the second layer will be lemon with raspberry frosting, the third is red velvet with cream cheese, and the top layer is strawberry with cream cheese. Pink fondant on all layers, and white fondant 'ropes' and borders.

That's the plan, anyhow. We'll see if it actually comes together like I'm imagining! LOL

I"m just amazed that I wasn't able to find this particular cake anywhere yesterday! I can't possibly be the only one who's attempted it. icon_razz.gif Guess I just didn't look far enough. icon_smile.gif

here's the better picture...
LL

kalida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalida Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:20am
post #5 of 6

Too cute, i would love to see your finished cake. Don't forget to post a pic of you masterpiece when done icon_smile.gif

Happy Baking!! icon_lol.gif

DoniB Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:44am
post #6 of 6

Unfortunately, I got lost trying to get to the party a back way(thought it would be quicker, but they'd changed the roads in the ten years since I'd last driven that way!) and the heat kinda got to it. We ended up having to pretty much just stack it normally and decorate as best we could with the dried-up MMF. It was NOT a pretty sight, though everyone said it still tasted great and the birthday girl didn't care one bit. icon_razz.gif

But no pics... there are just times when a camera is NOT your friend! LOL

But I've been challenged by this... I still want to make this cake, so hopefully I'll have a good reason to in the near future. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%