What Is The Worst Thing...

Decorating By Muse Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 12:50am by Luby

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 16

...that someone has said to you about one of your cakes?

I think my worst would probably be "Wow, yours is almost as good as Wal-Mart's."

Gee, 'almost' as good. Something to aspire to.

Darci

15 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 16

Crossing my fingers...I've never had a bad comment about the cake, but the one thing that people say alot to a perfectly smooth, flawless buttercream wedding cake that looks like fondant with absolutely no decorations (to hide imperfections) is:

"That looks really easy, it must not have taken you very long to do"

or a bride says:

"Since you won't have to decorate the cake any, can I have a discount?"

Sometimes I think about popping in Sharons video and make a bride watch it during her consultation!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 16

What I would say to that is "If it was that easy everyone would do it."

Darci

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Crossing my fingers...I've never had a bad comment about the cake, but the one thing that people say alot to a perfectly smooth, flawless buttercream wedding cake that looks like fondant with absolutely no decorations (to hide imperfections) is:

"That looks really easy, it must not have taken you very long to do"

or a bride says:

"Since you won't have to decorate the cake any, can I have a discount?"

Sometimes I think about popping in Sharons video and make a bride watch it during her consultation!

icon_redface.gif I was that bride (didn't ask for a discount, but figured it'd be easy)...but the decorator talked me into adding some decorations to it and I'm glad she did.

I am sooo glad I know better now, but wished I had known better then. icon_sad.gif

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 9:27am
post #5 of 16

(On my trading feedback for all to see) 'You must, must must get this lady to make your cake! She makes fantastic looking cakes that taste as good as they look and SHE IS SO CHEAP!!!' This wasn't intended to come out like an insult I am sure but I have hiked my prices accordingly... icon_eek.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 10:25am
post #6 of 16

upon presenting my dad with the lighthouse cake in my photos... "Hey, this looks almost like the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. You should do that one next time." Broke my heart, since it was my first 'sculpted' cake, my first try at something like a lighthouse, and though it's not anywhere near perfect, I was pretty proud of it at the time. icon_razz.gif

(then he complained that the 'sand' tasted gritty. Um, Dad? It's SAND! Okay, cinnamon graham crackers crushed up, but it's still supposed to be sand... gonna be a bit gritty. icon_razz.gif )

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 16

I have a lady at our church that I regularly make birthday cakes for. I asked her if she cared if I "experimented" with her mother's birthday cake, if I charged her my regular price. So, I made a crochet cake: 2 balls of crochet with strings going to a blanket, with "Happy Birthday" written on the blanket with the "crochet" strings. The lady said, oh, everyone liked it, but we had to explain that the crochet balls weren't boobs. So, my SIL said, "oh, yeah, my boobs always have strings coming off them."

Natali3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natali3 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:01am
post #8 of 16

My very first Football cake, I never made a pic of it, wouldn''t do what I wanted it to. I covered it with Fondant to achieve the look I needed. I still wasn't to happy with it but figured I'll leave it alone, it's not getting any better than this. One of the kids at the party asked what that snail did on the cake.
I was so embaressed.

Another one. I made Doras face out of Fondant and attached it to the Body, which was cake (kind of like a doll cake) and my Husband asked who would request a pig with black hair in a dress. I broke out in tears and had no time to redo the cake, so I gave it away for free.

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 16

A girl i used to know at school asked me to make a cake, i said yes and then she passed on the order to her dad who was paying for it. He works at a resturant (fast food type place) and droped it into conversation that he makes cakes but can't decorate (yeah so what).
I had nothing but trouble dropping the cake off and he was agressive and rude to my mom on the phone but i thought that was that and i didn't really need to see them again. Until i bumped into him a few weeks later to which he told me 'YOUR CAKE TASTED LIKE S**T MAN AHHH MAN IT WAS NASTY MAN OH MAN WE HAD NOTHING BUT COMPLAINTS FROM IT.............BUT YOU HAVE A GOOD EYE FOR DETAIL'. I asked him what exactly was wrong and his said 'eerrrrm is was just eeerrm not nice'.
Then he tried to talk about how much i charge for just icing the cakes because he bakes better icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif i made up some mumbo jumbo about having somthing in the oven and made a swift exit icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 16

I made a white cake once that is much like angel food cake, and had my DH taste it for me. He blurts out that "It is disgusting!" I was really upset for a while, until he explained that he doesn't like angel food type cakes. Wish I'd known that BEFORE I tossed the cake! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 16

My husband didn't like one of mine, and literally wiped it off his tongue.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 16

Everyone always raves about how good my cakes taste! They can't believe I was able to do so well for not having any experience or teaching. My head was swollen! At least until my mom told me not too long ago...."I don't really like your cakes. I mean you're excellent at decorating but other than that, I just really prefer a box mix".

Thanks for the encoraging words mom!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 16

Everyone always raves about how good my cakes taste! They can't believe I was able to do so well for not having any experience or teaching. My head was swollen! At least until my mom told me not too long ago...."I don't really like your cakes. I mean you're excellent at decorating but other than that, I just really prefer a box mix".

Thanks for the encoraging words mom!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 16

The butterfly cake in my gallery was made for a coworker that just got married last week. This wasn't the first wedding for the bride or groom, so they had a very small wedding followed by dinner at a local restaurant. We decided to throw a little bridal shower at the office and I was asked to make the cake. I wanted it to look like a mini wedding cake, so I made it white with white flowers. It didn't look festive enough, so I added some wafer paper butterflies.

Just as I was finishing the cake, my husband walked through the room and said, "When butterflies ATTACK! . . . ." I guess that was his way of saying that I added too many butterflies.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 16

My mom and I did my sister's wedding cake. Well nothing went as planned. wrong ingredients, AC breaking down and it was super hot on the 23rd of December (south TX) and my mom kept the oven going all day long and kids running all over the place and bumping the table where we were decorating. Anyway we (I) wasn't able to smooth the frosting no matter what I tried, and my mom just backed off. Anyway I had sent my mom some pics of cakes a few weeks before so my sis could pick one. Well I guess my dad saw those pics (which were not mine.) AND SAId to me how come your cakes looks so pretty on pics but not so much in person. Gee thanks!!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #16 of 16

My very first wedding cake was for the uncle of a very close friend of mine. My friend and I agreed to do the cake on very short notice because the happy couple had tried to make the cake themselves (the bride's mother made wedding cakes all her life and was now deceased so the bride wanted to duplicate her mother's most popular cake) and it just wasn't working. Well, we started on a Friday night and this cake was a monstrosity - 16" layer with a 12" layer stacked then columns and an 8" with a 6" stacked on top. There were two satellite cakes on each side consisting of 10" cake with an 8" stacked on top. Then there were 6 10" heart cakes around the bottom. The bridge and groom had baked the 16" and attempted to bake the hearts but they looked like pancakes they were so thin. On Friday night we started baking all of the cakes over again except for the 16". We got 3 hours sleep on Friday night and did not sleep at all on Saturday night. The wedding and reception was at 6:00 on Sunday. We made it just in time to the reception hall to get the monster set up. Our cake decorating instructor came by to see our "work of art" and helped us set it up. My friend and I were so proud of what we had created on such short notice. We made the mistake of asking our instructor what she thought. She replied "well, it wouldn't win any awards, but it's ok for a freebie"! icon_eek.gif

My friend and I were so hurt because it was our first wedding cake and we really poured our hearts into this cake. After she left we were like WTF??????? Everybody at the reception told us how great the cake was and how beautiful it was and some even asked for our phone numbers for future orders. We like "Yea, that's what I'm talking about" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%