Is This Fish Cake Hard To Make?

Decorating By blue123 Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 5:47am by Karabear1125

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for this cake. I have never made a shaped or sculpted fondant cake. How hard is this one to do? The wedding is next year in July. I feel pretty confidant that I could pull it off. I need to tell the girl now because it could actually cost me the whole wedding if she has to go somewhere else. This cake would be about 14-16 in. long. Is $4.00 per slice (more or less) too much? Thanks for the advice. icon_smile.gif
LL

8 replies
blue123 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 9

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 9

It's definitely a carved cake.....airbrushed to get the colors like they are. If you can sketch (on paper) out ahead of time the length and shape then you will have a rough template to use or look at. That particular one does not look that hard to do (IMHO). As for the color....I don't have an airbrush, so I have taken diluted color and full strength color and rubbed it on (paper towel, gauze) to get the blended effect. The fins are made in advance with fondant or gumpaste. I'm sure I have been NO help, but I think you can do it!!! icon_lol.gif

blue123 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 9

You have helped. Do you have any idea what one would charge for this. I have called local bakeries, but they haven't helped at all.

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 9

There are a lot of factors that play into the pricing game.....depending on where you live, does anybody else do this, the time it takes to construct etc. I think you are definitely being fair in the $4/per range.
But if it doesn't serve a specific amount, you could get screwed......if it is only going to serve a small amount, you should have a base carved cake price plus a per serving charge on top of that. For example: if the cake only serves 15, start with a $25 base and add the $60 (per person charge). If this is the cake she wants, trust me she will pay for it....it's not like you can just go pick it up at a grocery store or even some bakeries......Let her know, you specialize in "custom" work. thumbs_up.gif

blue123 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 9

Great point...no one else does this. Thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #7 of 9

I made mine never having sculpted before. I think you can do it no problem!
Let me know if you need any help!
LL

blue123 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:39am
post #8 of 9

icon_surprised.gif What a cake! Please do help! Your work is incredible.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 5:47am
post #9 of 9

WOW Mindy!! I thought that was a real fish!!! AWESOME!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%