How Do You Make Your Fondant Pearls?

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm by Yomomma

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 8

I'll be making fondant pearls for a wedding cake. I was wondering how you all get your pearls to be the exact same size. Do you recommend a mold or just make them individually? It will be trimming an 8" round tier with them. Also, what color/type of dust.. pearl dust, should I buy?
Thanks for you help ladies!

7 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 8

Is it for a border?...I use first impressions molds for making a fondant pearl border.. If you need round separate pearls for something else you can use this too for them to be the same size or you can use the any size tip to cut and then roll
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 8

Here is my fav way to do this:
http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

I've never been successful at using a mold but maybe someone else can give you good instructions with this.

Can't answer your question on color because it depends on your design - if the cake is white probably just use pearl dust. If you use the instructions from the link above, you can just put all your pearls in a container after they dry, add some dust and shake gently.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 8

I roll my fondant the same thickness then I use one of my larger tips like a 12 and punch out as many pearls as I need. I roll them by hand, let them dry on a paper towel or paper plate for a couple of hours depending on the humidity, and then I put mine in a small tupperware container and swirl them around in the super pearl luster dust. I've tried the silicone bead makers and the other way is just as fast.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 8

Here's how I do it. Get yourself the pearl mold. Make lil fondant snakes. Let them dry a tad. Squish them in the mold. Open the mold. Then say something to the effect of %$#&()&%$. Try again. Open the mold. (*&%#^(*%^*). Then have drink. icon_biggrin.gif that's how the process usaully works for me.

Mike

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

I roll my fondant the same thickness then I use one of my larger tips like a 12 and punch out as many pearls as I need. I roll them by hand, let them dry on a paper towel or paper plate for a couple of hours depending on the humidity, and then I put mine in a small tupperware container and swirl them around in the super pearl . I've tried the silicone bead makers and the other way is just as fast.

That's exactly what I do.

If you have kids who are old enough to roll them without squishing, you can draft them to help you icon_biggrin.gif

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Here's how I do it. Get yourself the pearl mold. Make lil fondant snakes. Let them dry a tad. Squish them in the mold. Open the mold. Then say something to the effect of %$#&()&%$. Try again. Open the mold. (*&%#^(*%^*). Then have drink. icon_biggrin.gif that's how the process usaully works for me.

Mike

Haha, Thanks Mike! Now, is there a specific drink I should be having? hehee..

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 8

I've used Earline's method (link above) which is basically the way cdavis described above. It goes faster than you'd think and they are very realistic looking. Someday though, I'd like to try the molds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%