Thinking About Entering But Not Sure

Decorating By rogers8702 Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 2:46am by turtle3264

rogers8702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rogers8702 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 14

ok i really want to enter the ices comp in NC in sept. for the beginner but im not sure if im good enough--does anyone have some first time beginner photos i can see??????

i REALLY want to do this and im gonna practice hard ober the next few months.

please help me ouy with some pix and advice icon_confused.gif

13 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 14

Just do it! Life is too short to wish it away. And how else to you learn and grow?

So do it for the experience and not to win. Sometimes you need to enter a thing to see just exactly what they are looking for in the long run. Then the next year, go for the ribbon.

If you need help bouncing ideas or
techniques......PM me.

rogers8702 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 14

no one has ever entered a contest before?????????? i doubt that icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif please help me out i just wanna see some beginner entries, im having a hard time finding any on the internet except 1 from last year and it was great!!!!!!!!

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 14

The best thing on a comp cake is to do several different types of techniques. Like piping, and fondant work and gumpaste flowers, etc. They really look at # of techniques used.
My avatar was my first comp cake. Apparently, I did not use enough different techniques. icon_wink.gif

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 14

Do a search on here on the Mid Atlantic Cake Competition that was in March. There was a thread with links to all pictures from entries. I entered as a beginner and so did my friend. I ended up winning first in my category and best in division! I was sooo nervous and then when I saw all the fabulous cakes there I was blown away. My friend ended up winning second in our division too! I can't wait until the next one!

rogers8702 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 14

thank you so much even a little help goes a looong way with the nerves until something else pops up ya know. thats why i love this site sooo much everyone is so helpful and inspirational. thanks a billion

anyone else????????

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 14

I read an article last night on a beginner's guide to possibly exhibiting/showing by Earlene's. Very helpful. She states it is better to do small with great detail and care then to try to attempt large. Hope it helps. It did me.
http://www.earlenescakes.com/business.htm

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 14

Of course you should enter! The shows are so much fun and there is so much to learn. The demonstrations are like mini classes and much can be learned from them. You can also learn a lot from other decorators and make friends along the way. Most of the time there are vendors there selling goodies that we all really need.....want.

Including staying small , stay with something you do well. Your favorite style (whimsical, elegant, whatever) will work in your favor. Make something that you would really want. By this I mean don't try to decorate to please the judges. No one ever knows what they might be thinking. This is not putting down judges, it's just that every judge has different though processes, color preference, etc.

Neatness is extremely important. A lot of techniques will only help you if you can do them well. Sometimes less is more. Push yourself. Maybe think of the cake as something you would do for a client that was willing to pay you a LOT of money for the cake. icon_smile.gif

Your cake board should compliment the cake. Avoid the foil covered boards. If you have no choice, then put a ribbon around the edge. A ribbon should always be attached to the edge. Make sure the colors coordinate there too! If any brand new decorators are reading this, please don't use aluminum foil on any cake entered in a competition. The same goes for the lacy parchment paper on a plain board.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing your photos.

Michele

rogers8702 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 14

thank you again for your help ladies, i am doing it im going to make a practice cake this weekend and bring it into my work they havent seen my cakes yet so im sure they will love it,

listen to me i havent even started baking yet and im super excited to get practicing that what you fellow ccers do to me thanx a bunch again

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 14

It's great to practice on real cakes, but for competitions you normally use cake dummies (styrofoam) unless it is a carved cake. The cakes will be judged on how they look, not on taste, so there is no need to use real cake. If there is a tasting division go for that. It's another great way to stretch your skills.

Michele

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:00am
post #11 of 14

I also think that you should enter I think it is a great idea. We are all hard on ourselves from time to time but if you dont take the chance you will never know!!! GO FOR IT!!!! Im sure youll be great!!! thumbs_up.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #12 of 14

Sugarflowers .
Since the foil covered boards are a no no could you give some suggestions as to what would be complementary to a show cake?

Jibbies

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #13 of 14

Just do it for fun!...is a learning experience...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:46am
post #14 of 14

I think you should enter the contest. I am entering a cake in the beginner non-tiered special occasions division. I went last year and took pictures of all of the cakes. I have put them on my flickr site. I will only keep them up for a few days though because when you upload new files, they are on the front page. Some people that went to my site last time I had these up, thought that I had done some of them. They are not in any particular order, but you can see signs near some of them. My cakes are not spectacular, but I think they look fine. So I decided to enter. I was so excited to go to the contest last year that I just had to enter this year. They have demos going on all day. It was a lot of fun. I got an e-mail today confirming my entry and I got excited all over again. I hope you enjoy the pictures. It might be easier to view the slideshow because the pictures are large and only a few fit on one page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11614111@N02/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%