Rhinestones/crystals On Wedding Cake???

Decorating By brea1026 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 12:25am by andiesweet

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi ALL!
I am making a very small (like 20 people) wedding cake for my best friends's mother's wedding at the end of the month. She is having a "Bling Bling" wedding and wants to have rhinestones/crystals on the cake. I am pretty sure that I can probably find them at the craft store, or we also just got a swarovski crystal store in a new mall. I guess it will just depend on how much she wants to spend on them.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else here has ever done anything like this before. Since it is for a small family wedding, she assures me she isn't worried about anyone eating them. I am just not sure how to stick them to the fondant. I am assuming that RI will probably hold them just fine.

So if you have any ideas about this or advice I would love the feedback!

Take Care,
Breanna

5 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #2 of 6

Well, I've done it. And of course they aren't edible, but if you instruct the person to have them removed, and if it is a friend, it should be OK.

I did mine with RI-worked perfect! Here is the cake, if you need an example. HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1201491

Afarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afarren Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 6

There are also edible crystals that you can purchase to put on the cakes...there was a forum topic related to this...if you are at all worried about not all of the crystal being removed.

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #4 of 6

fancyflours.com/blue-sapphire-cake-jewels.html

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 6

I would say that you would attach them the same as if they were dragees... Royal icing should work fine.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

I would use piping gel in a bag so that you don't see anyicing where you attatched them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%