Who Lives In Ontario Canada And Uses Satin Ice????

Decorating By delaware Updated 8 Nov 2014 , 6:36pm by Bake rinse

ChristieFinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieFinkle Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #91 of 261

I'm so jealous of all of you who live in Windsor. With the border so close you must go shopping all the time! My husband and I were in San Francisco on an "adult" get away and I dragged him to 3 different cake decorating supply shops and that doesn't include Target (my fav)!
Christie

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:59am
post #92 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieFinkle

I'm so jealous of all of you who live in Windsor. With the border so close you must go shopping all the time! My husband and I were in San Francisco on an "adult" get away and I dragged him to 3 different cake decorating supply shops and that doesn't include Target (my fav)!
Christie

Christie,

yes it is nice to live in a border city..for the shopping. icon_biggrin.gif I do go over to a cake supply shop once and awhile and i absolutely drool everytime i walk in the place. They definitely have more than windsor. The only problem is the border is insane to get across since 9/11. Most times we end up sitting in the tunnel or on the bridge for over an hour, it puts a damper on the trip. DH hates going over because of it. I don't feel comfortable going by myself. I somehow seem to convince him to drive me, around once every couple of months.

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #93 of 261

Cjmommy..I work in Georgetown..Nice to meet you... icon_biggrin.gif I'm in Brampton. I live about 15 mins from Goldas on Argentia. I have yet to go there. I actually had a hard time finding it the first time I tried.. icon_eek.gif

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #94 of 261

sweetcravings - I agree, the border can be a real PITA. Somehow it's not quite as bad at Sarnia though. Although, even still you never know what to expect until you get there - you can sail across, or you can sit there bumper to bumper for an hour or so. A number of people I know from the London area go over once or twice a month just to grocery shop.

Even though the Canadian dollar is better than par, we aren't getting many breaks up here. Don't even get me started on air flights!!! tapedshut.gif (At least in London, we are half way between Toronto and Detroit, so we are usually able to take advantage of the Detroit flights. My DD actually drove to Detroit to catch a flight to Toronto and connect to London, England because it was over $200 cheaper than just catching the same England flight directly from Toronto.) sorry for the hijack. Rant over. icon_redface.gif

We've curtailed our trips to the US greatly. I really miss Target, Bath and Body Works, Meijer, etc. And when I see the prices of cake stuff down there, it just gets me riled!

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:22am
post #95 of 261

I have been to Create-a Cake in Port Huron twice over the past year. It was very easy to temp my BF as there's a Harley Davidson on the same street( I seem to luck out that way,every cake store out of town has one nearby..LOL)

It's actually in Kimball ,outskirts of Port Huron....First time I thought it was way out there as we kept driving farther out.

Create-A-Cake
(810) 987-9755
4819 Lapeer Rd, #A, Kimball, MI

__Martha__ Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #96 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbert

I have been to Create-a Cake in Port Huron twice over the past year. It was very easy to temp my BF as there's a Harley Davidson on the same street( I seem to luck out that way,every cake store out of town has one nearby..LOL)

It's actually in Kimball ,outskirts of Port Huron....First time I thought it was way out there as we kept driving farther out.

Create-A-Cake
(810) 987-9755
4819 Lapeer Rd, #A, Kimball, MI

Is it a big store? Good prices? Different stuff? Worth the drive from London?

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #97 of 261

Hi Martha,

I am going to Port Huron on Saturday, where is Victorian Plaza and I will take a look. I was planning on going to hobby lobby and Jo-Annes to see what they had, anyone have any other ideas!!

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #98 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohare

Hey is there is anyone in the East end who wants to take a trip to "Goulda's" we should plan a "car pool!" With the price of gas always going up. It is so nice to be in touch with other Ontarionians!!

Hi, I'm from east end Toronto. Glad to see that so many Ontarions on this site. Love this website.

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:36am
post #99 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoufer

This is my story. I'll try to give you the short version lol! I took my DIL to look for a wedding cake. The only one she really liked was a very simple 3 tier round, bc and some pink daisies cascading down the tiers and the best price was $350 so I thought hell I can do that! I signed up for all 3 wilton courses as Michaels, completed them before we left for their wedding in Mexico. Glorious week of pampering I might add. We threw a wedding reception when we got back and I made the cake. I ended up getting a few cake orders from it. Then my DD announced she was pregnant so I did her baby shower cake, got a few orders from that. My DIL is a supply teacher so every year I make clown cupcakes for her kids and a cake for the teachers which always gets me orders. I made my nieces wedding cake ( she lives in London) got orders because of that now I am doing her baby shower cake this weekend. I just do it from home whenever I get an order, I am pretty busy babysitting my grandson since my DD went back to work. I would love to play with cakes all day, everyday! I have just started modelling with fondant and I can't believe I waited so long to try. It is so much fun. Haven't gotten around to resizing all my cake pics to post. So that's my story icon_smile.gif What is yours? icon_wink.gif

Hi, I do cakes as a hobby. Took a city course couple of years back and came across this website last year. I am now addicted to this site and visit the website several times a day. I too would love to play with cakes all day. I do not miss an opportunity to do a cake for family, friends or work. Voluntarily and free of charge. And now my DD volunteers to bring a cake to school every time there is an opportunity but I don't mind because I love doing cakes. Would love to have more time to do more.

ncbert Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #100 of 261

The prices at Create-a-cake are so cheap compared to here and it's a small store with lots packed in it. There's a side room with chocolate making ect. supplies and lots of molds...I think the molds were like $2.00?.....pretty much you name it they got it. Although when we go it's also for Meijer,target...dinner ect...and make a day.

The store is,if going over from Sarnia,from border go straight and to the left...there's signs to say to Lapeer Ave.---follow down to get to it and then you will turn right onto Lapeer Ave......soon you will see the Harley dealership (hehe) on the right and keep going....it will seen like you are way out of town ....I posted the street address which will help you to know you have to go farther......maybe a good 10 mins out of town....a small strip plaza on the left is Victoria Plaza....seems like no mans land..lol

HTH...and it is accurate from memory!maybe google a map too!
Nancy

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:07pm
post #101 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Martha__

sweetcravings - I agree, the border can be a real PITA. Somehow it's not quite as bad at Sarnia though. Although, even still you never know what to expect until you get there - you can sail across, or you can sit there bumper to bumper for an hour or so. A number of people I know from the London area go over once or twice a month just to grocery shop.

Even though the Canadian dollar is better than par, we aren't getting many breaks up here. Don't even get me started on air flights!!! tapedshut.gif (At least in London, we are half way between Toronto and Detroit, so we are usually able to take advantage of the Detroit flights. My DD actually drove to Detroit to catch a flight to Toronto and connect to London, England because it was over $200 cheaper than just catching the same England flight directly from Toronto.) sorry for the hijack. Rant over. icon_redface.gif

We've curtailed our trips to the US greatly. I really miss Target, Bath and Body Works, Meijer, etc. And when I see the prices of cake stuff down there, it just gets me riled!

Oh I know, I love the shopping there. The stores you list are some of my favorites to shop at, and the ones on the top of my list each and everytime i go. But my DH hates shopping, so i have to keep my list short. Usually once or twice a year my sisters and i go over for the weekend, stay at a hotel and shop till we drop...love it.

cjmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjmommy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #102 of 261

Hi ebear,

Nice to meet you too icon_smile.gif. I also drove past Golda's twice the first time... oops! icon_eek.gif

stojmenov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stojmenov Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #103 of 261

I live in Brampton and Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga is great and so is McCall's at Bloor & Kipling

ebear Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:23pm
post #104 of 261

Hi..I haven't been to McCalls in years! They still exist then? Maybe I should check it out..When the price of gas lowers... icon_eek.gif LOL

__Martha__ Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:06pm
post #105 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileenscakes

Hi Martha,

I am going to Port Huron on Saturday, where is Victorian Plaza and I will take a look. I was planning on going to hobby lobby and Jo-Annes to see what they had, anyone have any other ideas!!

I am so jealous!!!

See Nancy's post above for directions to Victorian Plaza. I've never been there, but it sounds like a great little store! I can't wait to check back here Sunday to see what you found!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:54pm
post #106 of 261

How well stocked is the McCall's store? Their website is very sparse, and it almost seems directed at businesses only (unless I am reading it wrong?)

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #107 of 261

I've only ordered from McCall's online, and found their website a little odd. If you call the store, they are really helpful. Apparently you can buy a membership for about $25, and get deals on shipping, but don't quote me, I haven't done it! I've ordered from them, just as myself, not a business, and have had no problems!

tracey1970 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #108 of 261

Thanks, Jane. That's good to know. I have to admit that I've had nothing but good experiences with Golda's. Plus, they sell Satin Ice fondant, which is a bonus. I'll have to give McCall's a try. I've looked on the McCall's site for stuff not sold at Golda's and couldn't find it. Maybe a phone call is in order!

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #109 of 261

Does Golda's have a website? I've looked through the post, but don't remember seeing one? In this part of the province, there isn't much around, at least without driving an hour...

Eileenscakes Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:59am
post #110 of 261
ChristieFinkle Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #111 of 261

Tracy1970, McCall's whse is where you want to go! Considering we don't have many choices in Cambridge, I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven! My husband was laughing at me and my mini "O"! hahah! They have every cookie cutter you could possibly imagine and they are cheap! Molds and accessories coming out the wazuu! Apparently the store is much more expensive so unless you have a vendor's permit, the 25.00 membership fee is worth it! I'd watch some things though, because with a Micheal's 40% off coupon, some of their wilton stuff is more expensive!
Christie

ebear Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #112 of 261

Thats good info to know about McCalls...I'm going to have to check it out. Like I said..its been years since I've been to McCalls. We used to order cakes from them. Its quite a small store from what I can remember but had a lot of selection.

tracey1970 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #113 of 261

Thanks, Christie, for the info. You know, come to think of it, I haven't received a Michael's flyer in my weekly paper in over a month. I don't live in a town with a Michael's, but I live maybe 35-40 minutes away from Peterborough, the closest one. We were getting their flyers in our weekly paper with the 40% off coupons every single week. I haven't seen one in maybe 5 weeks. Is anyone still getting them? I thought maybe they had stopped doing it. I wonder if they are now considering my town outside of their "advertising area" for some reason?? I used to make special trips when I had the coupons. I don't remember the last time I had one.

ebear Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #114 of 261

tracey1970-I was in Michaels just the other day and I THINK you can get their flyers online now. You have to sign up for them. They had a big sign at the one I went to saying they are not giving out the discount unless you have a coupon ( I know I'd gone in there a few times forgetting my coupon and I guess they were getting tired of people doing that so they're stopping it).
Hope this helps... icon_smile.gif

cjmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjmommy Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #115 of 261

There was a Michael's flyer this week in my paper with a coupon for the upcoming week and the week after. I signed up online to get the flyer and this week I got a 40% off coupon when there was no flyer. Nice little bonus for signing up online!

tracey1970 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #116 of 261

Thanks to you both. I will have to sign up on-line for sure. I just found it odd that I am no longer getting the paper coupons anymore after having received them for more than a year. Anyway, if I can get a coupon on-line, it's worth a shot. Thanks again.

ncbert Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #117 of 261

Phoufer-Did u buy all the fondant in St. Thomas?...LOL...I went today and she was sold out of white and said for some reason alot buying it lately!...LOL....It seems everytime I go she is sold out of what I am REALLY wanting . Oh well I don't live far(20 mins) and I always seem to buy other supplies.....It was just funny when she told me and I thought of u(Phoufer)..LOL

I did get some chocolate to try. If you don't want the whole 5kg bucket she will sell you whatever amount u want,which is awesome!

She's such a nice lady.

Nancy
BTWI guess best to call ahead,especially for those of you who are travelling a distance.

Eileenscakes Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:21am
post #118 of 261

Thank you Thank you Thank you for telling me about create-a-cake in PH!!!! thumbs_up.gif I could have spent hours and hundreds but I was on a time limit!!! I did pick up a bucked of the white fondant, he does not carry the white satin ice only colours but he had fondex and said that was his favorite so I got it. The only problem was that the only size he has is a 10 lb tub!!!! Guess I am going to be doing a few fondant cakes in the near future!!! I also got some of the cutters I was looking for, the alphabet set in Michaels is $25 and I got it there for $14 and most of the other little set are under $3 so I picked up a few. I also got a pound of the sweetex just to try it, it is the same price as crisco here but I just wanted to try. I am making cupcakes for my son's class on Tuesday so I will let you know if it that much better!! The only other thing I got was a bunch of his waxed rounds, I have never seen them up here so again thought I would give them a try!! He has some of his prize cakes on display and is very talented but not terribly helpful!! it sounds like the lady in St. Thomas would be much nicer and more helpful! He also had a ton of the pre-made roses and flowers but they are all royal icing so no good for me but great if you (like me) are not great at making the roses!!! I also stopped into hobby lobby and Jo-Anns but neither place was much good for supplies, hobby lobby has less than Michaels and the prices were not great and jo-anns has almost nothing!! icon_cry.gif
Thanks again everyone for the input, I will definitely let you know how the fondex tastes and how it is to work with. icon_biggrin.gif

ChristieFinkle Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #119 of 261

Okay, so speaking of Micheals and their coupon, I never get it! I don't know what the problem is, whether or not my paper delivery person scoops it or what. So everytime I went in the store (which is alot!) I told them I don't have the coupon and just had to sign a sheet with my postal code and name. Fine! Then, this week I was in and the lady said they are not doing that anymore. So I explained that I don't receive the coupon and HAVE signed up for it on line but the online version is not going to be ready for about 2-3 weeks! How fair is that! I told the lady that I appreciate it's not her fault but I was calling the manager! HAahaha! I haven't yet but I think I might!
Christie

Eileenscakes Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #120 of 261

I think you should call Christie...my junk mail delivery person seems to take about every other week off so I always depended on being able to sign for the coupon, I also was told this week that I could no longer do it icon_cry.gif I just might call my local store manager too!!! We should all do it and tell them how unfair it is!!! Power in numbers icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%