Lettering Question, Tappits? How Do They Work?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 5:42pm by icer101

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 9

I would like to purchase some lettering, for mmf, from
Global Sugar. Their store has closed for the day. I would like to know if the lettering they call tappits are cutters. Am I going to be pressing the letter down like a cookie cutter to get the shape? If so is it hard to get the cutter to release the mmf letter? I've seen these letters on cakes and they look really great! icon_confused.gif

8 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know about MMF but they work great with GP if you roll out the gp thin VERY thin.. let it dry a minute or so.. dip the cutters in cornstarch .. cut.. then smack it against the edge of a table so the letter will flip out icon_wink.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 9

I can't seem to get my letter to have nice smooth edges, is it because I am not waiting long enough before putting the GP into the molds? The edges are always ragged icon_sad.gif

I just can't seem to get the hang of them.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 9

Dont make me come up there and show ya icon_wink.gif

I'll show you how to do those if you make my bc roses icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

well you might be letting your gp get toooo dry... try just waiting a few seconds icon_smile.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 9

Here is a link to video by Aine2 showing how to cut out letters from fondant/gumpaste. She makes it look really easy (she makes everything look easy though icon_wink.gif ).
Hope it helps!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 9

I love listening to her voice! Thanks for the link!

I have the wrong things - mine are more like a mold you press the letter into and then use a pin to flick them out.

I NEED TO GET REAL TAPPITS!! icon_sad.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

Here is a link to video by Aine2 showing how to cut out letters from fondant/gumpaste. She makes it look really easy (she makes everything look easy though icon_wink.gif ).
Hope it helps!

I was just about to ask if she is using "tappits"! I saw this last week and have been looking for them. NOW I know what they are! Yeah.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 9

Here's another thread on, the how to of Tappits.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586739.html

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 9

i used fondant only yesterday...... dusted my counter with powder sugar.... rolled fondant very thin... let set up a few minutes..... pressed the letters really good .. moving it around a little..... then tapped on the edge of my counter.... they all came out great.... placed on the figure i needed them to be.... let them set up a little ... then with water, and a thin brush.... wet the back ... stuck to my plaque.... i had to spell out appalachian mountaineers.... i was very pleased.... hth just wanted to say that fondant by it self works great too... you just have to be patient with whatever medium you use.. let it set up a little

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%