Omg!!!! Need Serious Advice Please!!!

Decorating By noosie Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm by noosie

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 23

Hey all,
Ok here is the deal. In addition to my cake business, I work P/T as a mktg. rep in the restaurant industry. I have two daughters a 9 & 10 year old am class mom and part of two end of the year school committees.

Through my p/t job, I meet several chefs. One in particular is a Master Chef in one of the top luxury hotels in the area I'm in. Through small talk, I briefly mentioned my website and cake decorating and passed along one of my business cards.

Here is the kicker. He just contacted me and would like to consider offering the cake decorator position in their hotel! I would be responsible for all sorts of cakes, wedding, Bar-Mitvahs, Sweet 16 etc...

He said I can do it p/t by coming in the late afternoon early evenings and pretty much having the kitchen to myself. I am totally intimidated and have no idea what to do. I am not trained, never even took a decorating course and now I will be responsible for cakes for some of the most important events of one's life. I am freaked, excited even a little nauseous! Please guys, I need some real and solid advice from those of you in the industry that know how much time and commitment and sacrifice this would mean.....

Thanks all. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif (sorry so long)

22 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 23

It sounds like you're already pretty busy, but if you could give up your other p/t job for this, I'd do it and just jump on in if you can make the schedule work. He must have been impressed enough with your work to think you'd have no problem doing the job, or he wouldn't have offered it.

Sounds very cool to me. thumbs_up.gif

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 23

Yes! Yes! Yes! Go for it!

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 23

go for it!! you only live once.. just make up some sort of a contract so that you will still have plently of time to spend with your family!!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 23

I can't comment on the time and sacrifice. I looked at your photos and KNOW that you are able to do the work. So what you haven't taken classes... your work speaks for itself. You have a lot of talent - believe in yourself.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 23

Have you looked at your photos recently lol?! You have more than enough talent to fill this job, the real question is, do you have the passion and drive to do it? It's going to mean some really long days for you if you keep your regular job too, but if this is something you want to do as a career then chances like this don't come along very often so I'd grab it with both hands!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 23

I just looked on your web site, and the pictures shown were fantastic. I love the edible topiaries that you do. They are beautiful. icon_biggrin.gif

Have you been doing the kinds of cakes that he is asking you to do?

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 23

I just took a peak at your photos and all I've got to say is "Go for it Girlfriend". I would love a deal like that.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 23

I think you have been offered a great opportunity & as my son always says an opportunity missed does not return. Think in the positive.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 23

Your cakes are awsome so you have the talent. Go for it!! You may need to give up some things...class mom ect?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 23

"but I haven't had training/classes/ lessons/etc."

OH WHO CARES!!!!!!! (and this coming from a teacher!)

the question is:

can you DO it???

the answer -- Y E S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

----

after all a MASTER chef -- ie fully trained, etc, etc -- has asked YOU to do it -- obviously believes and knows you can....so.... there's all the "official" fun-n-folderol of credentials you need.

----

so the question now is

do you WANT to do it?

worth giving up the other P/T job?

will it take too much time from the children?

worth giving up volunteer activities?

only you can answer that.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 23

I have to agree with the other cc'ers. You do awesome work and would be great at this job. Just make sure you don't go crazy with all the stuff to do.

BTW - wanna share your secret to the topiaries?

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 23

I agree with everyone else.
Sit down with your family and discuss this with them; after all this will effect them some where down the line...in a good way of course.
Anyone can be a class mom, or do the end of year committee. You are going to have to figure out if this is what you want to do.
Yuo have the talent.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 23

It seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity, if it fits with your lifestyle I say go for it icon_biggrin.gif You clearly have the talent or he wouldn't have asked

noosie Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #15 of 23

you guys are the best. Thank you all for the comments. I do have to give this some serious thought and figure out if the sacrifices will outweigh the benefits. I've always put family first and don't want to jeopardize in any way.

As far as my p/t job, I would probably still keep it because he would need me to come in the late afternoon early evenings to do the cakes for the weekend. i haven't done many wedding cakes. In fact only one for an autumn wedding and a 50th anniversary that looks like a wedding.

As far as the topiaries go, its simply vase, wooden dowel, styro foam ball and toothpicks to attach strawberries!

Thanks again guys!

Lovemypups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemypups Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 23

I have to agree with everybody else since I looked at your photos on CC and at your website. You really need to go for this opportunity. HE looked and HE made the offer.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:02pm
post #17 of 23

Family is important, but so are you, you have to sometimes do what you would like to do & get the family to fit in with you for a change.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #18 of 23

Have you discussed profit? What cut is he taking? Will he provide all of your ingredients? How much are you responsible for? Insurance?

Things you need to think about and have a meeting to answer your questions before considering saying "yes".

noosie Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:11pm
post #19 of 23

I would be hired as an employee and be paid hourly. He said the pay is "interesting". That could be good or bad. I still have to set up an official meeting to get all details...

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:47am
post #20 of 23

Noosie, I don't know how old your children are but trust me...you need to do this for yourself because there will come a day when your children will be older and won't need you as much and you'll find that you've devoted your life to your children and now you're sittin' there with children that are older or even gone to college and thinking....what the heck do I do with myself now?

If you can devote P/T to your dream and passion do it for yourself and when your children are grown and gone you'll have something for you that you can now dedicate even more time to. Trust me...I'm there...my daughter is 19.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm
post #21 of 23

DO IT! How often does a chance like this come along? Worst thing that happens is it does not work out and you tell him you can't do it anymore.

If you don't do it you will always wonder what might have happened.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #22 of 23

"More opportunities are lost to indecision than to bad decisions"

Thats how I try to live my life.

I looked at your pictures and you definitely have the talent to do it.
I worked at a super ritzy country club for almost a year, and none of their 3 pastry chefs had the talent to pull off pieces as nice as yours (and they didnt taste all that great either).

I think you should sit down w/ the chef and discuss the following:
-Pay
-will he require a minimum # of hrs or is it 'as long as it takes to get it finished and then u can go home'
-payment of ingredients etc
-consultations with customers- are you responsible for that? afterall what if they ask for something you can't do and your not involved in the consultation??

-who would be your 'supervisor'?? meaning if you have any issues who do you report to??
- how would ingredients be ordered etc??

just some things I think you should ask.

Personally, I think this is a great opportunity that you should jump on. Fate is handing it to you.

noosie Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:53pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks again all! Your words truly inspire me and give me the confidence to at least give it a shot. I have tried so many things in life and have failed at some and succeeded in others. At this point in my life I can look back at my failures and say they have made me a little more smarter and perhaps have prepared me for the challenges that lay ahead.

I appreciate all your kind words more than you can imagine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%