You Know You're A Cake Decorator When ...........

Decorating By cdavis Updated 16 May 2014 , 1:03pm by -K8memphis

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 108

I was sitting at work reviewing some documents on the computer, decided my hands were a little dry, I reached for my lotion which is in a fairly large tube, then next thing I know, I'm subconsciously decorating the back of my left hand with a dragging pearl border. Ha ha ha.

I guess this busy wedding cake week is getting to me. Just thought I'd share. icon_smile.gif

107 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 108

That's funny! I did the same thing earlier and it was a shell! (my particular lotion has a star shaped opening)

You also know you are a cake decorator when:

1) you dream of cakes
2) someone wonders if you have pen on your hand but nope, it is gel color that you can't get off
3) you go on vacation and see if the town you are in/near has a cake supply store to visit

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 108

A couple of weeks ago, our church bulletin had a cool scroll design on it. I thought "I need to keep this, this would be cool on the side of a cake." icon_redface.gif

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

That's funny! I did the same thing earlier and it was a shell! (my particular lotion has a star shaped opening)

1) you dream of cakes
2) someone wonders if you have pen on your hand but nope, it is gel color that you can't get off
3) you go on vacation and see if the town you are in/near has a cake supply store to visit

Phew...!!! I was so trying to convince myself that I was NOT crazy. Other Cakers do this too...(number 3). That is the ONLY way I can plan a proper vacation between Feb and August...LMAO!!

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 108

..... when no matter what you're watching, if a cake comes on the TV, you put all your attention on it.. the design, the details, how did they do that, could I do that...

.... When you're looking through photos, and come accross wedding pics, you get a bit peeved that there's no pic of the wedding cake. (photo albums in Facebook especially. You're browsing through wedding albums and no cake! How dare they.. don't they know that's what I want to see?? icon_lol.gif )

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 108

I do the dragging pearl design when I put ketchup and mustard on my childrens hot dogs. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 108

when you have nightmares of cakes....

when you look outside and see TONES and TONES of designs that would look great on a cake!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #8 of 108

That's too funny! Love it!

I was at Target the other day, and they had the large dlear cone shaped floral bags, and my mind went "giant pastry bag". And actually, if it didn't have whole in it, it would be perfect for that!
I also think of cake designs when I see people's geometric shirts.
I lie awake at night dreaming up cakes.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 108

I have a whole blog on my myspace page about this! Some of mine are:

*You see an interesting object and start mentally designing a cake around it.

*Whenever you're invited to a party, your first thought is, "I wonder who's doing the cake?"

*You judge your friend harshly because she has store-bought icing in her pantry.

*Kitchen appliances excite you.

icon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 108

You know you're a cake decorator when:

• your kitchen accessories start migrating into the dining room...then the living room...taking up permanent residence there.
    Your dh has built more cabinets in the garage for baking supplies than your current family food pantry
    You start designing a friend's cake before being asked to do it

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 108

Today I was dropping my son off at school and saw some kids in an older grades were carrying castles they built for some class project - my first thought was hmmm can't wait until he has that project - I'll help we can do fondant brick, etc. then after grading they can eat his project! icon_eek.gif

Back up MOM!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Judi

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #12 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

1) you dream of cakes

Haha number 2 happens to me all the time at work. People look down at my hands now (like my close co-workers who know me) and say "working on cakes again I see." and my response is always the same.

"I got into a fight with my airbrush again. The airbrush won." icon_biggrin.gif

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 108

You know you're a cake decorator when:

your kitchen accessories start migrating into the dining room...then the living room...taking up permanent residence there.
Your dh has built more cabinets in the garage for baking supplies than your current family food pantry
You start designing a friend's cake before being asked to do it

Quote:
Quote:

Oh mine is everywhere, I hide stuff in the spare bedroom, garage, dining room, under the couch, everyroom has something about cakes.
I go shopping and look for things that maybe I can use for cake decorating, oh that candybar will be great for a log ect. I dream of the day my daughter gets married so I can make her a cake!
I am getting ready to move and the first thing in the car will be my prized cake supplies. I have it already organized as to my must haves. icon_biggrin.gif

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 108

Oh Gosh I do all these things. I thought it was just me.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:12am
post #15 of 108

I live in NJ. went on vacation to Las Vegas, there was a side trip to the Grand Canyon (breathtaking by the way). Went into the gift shop looking for souveniers. Guess what I brought home for me???

Chocolate candy "canyon rocks" to decorate cakes. LOL.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #16 of 108

You know you're a cake decorator when...

you step into a hot shower and immediately smell the powder sugar on your skin and hair.

In a dream, you find yourself trying to cover an octagon end-table in fondant!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:13am
post #17 of 108

You know you're a cake decorator when the salesman at Home Depot calls security to cart you away for looking for "cake" tools?? icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:43am
post #18 of 108

...when you look at iron patio furniture and think it would make a great design on a cake.

...when you go to NYC just to shop for cake supplies.

...when you look at flowered drapery fabric and think it would look great in gumpaste.

...when you spend way too many hours on sugarcraft forums, and not enough time sleeping.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:43am
post #19 of 108

when you start to look at every tree, flower, weed, plant and say "yeah, I think I can make that in a gumpaste or royal icing or maybe even in buttercream" so you pluck it and take it home to try.

doilychik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doilychik Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:53am
post #20 of 108

SO I'M NOT CRAZY?!?!?!? Thank goodness!! I have done a little of all of this!!! I am SOOOO glad it's not just me!!! We went to Harrisburg for the weekend to meet friends who came up from Fla for a car show...the only place I HAD to go was to Michael's, because the closest one to my home is about an hour away!!! It was so neat to have one just 2 miles from our hotel!!! The stuff I bought there was "my splurge" for the weekend!!!

Well, girls, all I can say is if we really enjoy what we do, there's no reason we shouldn't celebrate it! Just know that you are not alone....

P.S. - I absolutely love coming to these forums. I have learned so much from you all, thank you for being such a great group of people!! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:01pm
post #21 of 108

when you wake up at 2am with an idea for a cake design and have to go write it down so you don't forget it..........
spend too much time daydreaming about the perfect house to accomodate all your cake stuff, and a cake room to work in.........

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #22 of 108

Am guilty of having cake on the mind as well. As my boss was walking ahead of me yesterday, I told told her that the skirt she was wear would make a very pretty cake.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:23pm
post #23 of 108

...when you get in bed at night and your hubby curls up to you suggestively and says in a low, deep, satisfying voice " Ohhh, you smell like fondant...it smells sooo good!" icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm
post #24 of 108

... You walk into Home Depot and the guy in the lumber department goes ahead and warms up the saw, for cutting hardboard for your cake bases.

(really... he does! He even asks what designs I'm doing)

... You see interesting dishes and think about which sized cake would look best on it.

... Your husband knows that if Food Network is doing a cake challenge, you're useless for the next hour, and he goes to play computer games. icon_razz.gif (at least he's well-trained, right??)

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #25 of 108

When you spend more money on cake supplies then on clothes for you or your children.

When you look on-line searching for purses and shoes and your not shopping but looking for one to carve out of cake and gumpaste.

When you go to Wal-Mary, Krogers, and Food Lion etc... and pass through the bakery section and think my cake is way better than this crap.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm
post #26 of 108

When you are standing at Michael's door right at 9:00 AM doing the "open, open, open, open" look. They unlock the door and you make a mad dash for the cake aisle, check out and the cashier asks so what kind of cake are you working on today.

ANd you start looking in the garden section in Wal-mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Target---ANYWHERE--thinking "Hmmmm, that would make a cool cake stand!".

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:40pm
post #27 of 108

You know you're a cake decorator:

~when you can keep track of your projects by the gel colors left on your hands.

~when you find a penny and your wish is for a new kitchen.

~feeling guilty for having 'emergency' canned frosting in the fridge...for home goodies, not customer!

~always dreaming of different shapes of cookies and possible new customers to target. muahahaha

This is fun.....

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm
post #28 of 108

When the Sunday paper comes and all you want to know is if there is a coupon from Michael's in it!

I thought I was just O/C. Thank God for this forum. It's good to know I'm not crazy and that there are lots of others "out there" just like me! icon_lol.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm
post #29 of 108

Whoo hoo! This means I am, indeed, a cake decorator!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #30 of 108

You know you're a cake decorator when you decide to do a "use case" on how to bake a cake in your Masters in Electronic Commerce class (Advanced Programming) icon_biggrin.gif

My classmates are starting to look at me really strange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%