Where To Get These Molds?

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm by ccr03

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 6

Okay more about the butterflies! Sorry!

Here's a cake that has the size and shape of butterflies this bride wants on her cake (her cake will look totally different but she wants THESE butterflies). Any idea how the two smaller sized butterflies are made (chocolate, fondant, etc and where to get the molds to do them????? I must order them TODAY to get them here on time. Thanks again for all you help ladies!
LL

5 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 6

Those look like patchcutters. Check out Globalsugarart or Country Kitchen Art. It looks like they are gumpaste/fondant.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Those look like patchcutters. Check out Globalsugarart or Country Kitchen Art. It looks like they are gumpaste/fondant.

Do you mean these? http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18562
I thought these were to emboss the sides of the cake as in the picture. Will the cut thru the gumpaste completely? I really need help with this as I am starting to panic about not getting the right ones and then not having what I need to finish this cake. The bride waited until the last minute on everything. If this wasn't going to be a $1000 cake order I would have dealt differently with her. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the help again!

ccr03 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

Yup, those are the ones. I've only used them once for a class, but this is the dealio.

1. Cover the patchcutter/mold w/shortening - this makes it MUCH easier to remove.

2. GENTLY press the gumpaste/fondant into the mold. Otherwise, yes, it'll cut through. Also you don't want the gumpaste to be too thin - that'll make it harder to get out of the mold and easier to rip. If I remember correctly, you don't want the gumpaste to be piable, but a little more 'stiff'. Does that make sense?

3. use an exacto knife tip to remove the butterfly.

Like I said, I've only used these once, but hopefully this gives you a general idea.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Yup, those are the ones. I've only used them once for a class, but this is the dealio.

1. Cover the patchcutter/mold w/shortening - this makes it MUCH easier to remove.

2. GENTLY press the gumpaste/fondant into the mold. Otherwise, yes, it'll cut through. Also you don't want the gumpaste to be too thin - that'll make it harder to get out of the mold and easier to rip. If I remember correctly, you don't want the gumpaste to be piable, but a little more 'stiff'. Does that make sense?

3. use an exacto knife tip to remove the butterfly.

Like I said, I've only used these once, but hopefully this gives you a general idea.

OMG! Thank you so much, I am submitting my order NOW! Thanks again!

ccr03 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 6

Not a problem!!

And after looking at your work - if I can do it YOU CAN SO DO IT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%