Fondant Bow For Oval Wedding Cake

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm by butterflywings

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 3

I have to make a bow made from fondant on an oval cake that will be three tiers.
The Wedding is in 16 days and I just got my Satin Ice fondant in the mail and it is my first time experiencing with this fondant. I have always used the Wilton Fondant (YUCK) or I made MMF from scratch.
So, I was wondering if this fondant will harden like I need it to to hold up the bow. Someone mentioned I should add gum tex to the fondant, but I am new to that and I have no idea what to do.
What should I do?
Also, can I make the bow now and get that part out of the way?
If so, how should I store the bow until the wedding?
If I can't make it now, when should I get it done?
Thanks for anyone who can help!!

2 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 3

I would definately add tylose or gum tex to the fondant so it dries harder and faster. Yes you can make it now as it takes several days to dry. Once completed store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sun light (NOT in an air tight container). I lay my bow loops on their side to dry as they stretch when hanging on a rod. HTH

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 3

if you don't have access to tylose (i can't find it in stores locally) wilton makes gumtex which you can add to the fondant (i found it ac moore) or you can do a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste (wilton sells gumpaste, too). you can make the ratio higher on the gumpaste end to help dry faster, too (i've done a 75/25 gumpaste/fondant mix before). as pp stated, place in cool, dry area to dry out of sunlight and no flourescents, either

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%