Quick Q And Opinions On 'red Velvet' Cake...........

Decorating By Shola Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 3:41am by dldbrou

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #31 of 40

Use Sarah's Red Velvet Cake recipe on here. I made it and it was soooo yummy. I used the 2 bottles of red food coloring but I saw that it only needed one and a bunch of people have been saying that the recipe comes out just as good with 1 bottle of food coloring. I made it with cream cheese frosting and it was heavenly!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7027-Sarahs-Red-Velvet-Cake-TWEAKED.html

(here is the link for the recipe with 1 bottle of food coloring instead of 2)

Oh - and I use softasilk cake flour.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #32 of 40

I too love Sarah's recipe. I do have Elisa Strauss' book so I may have to try hers too after reading the reviews here.

The only thing is about the red velvet cake is that I could "taste" the food coloring and I used only 1 bottle. I used Americacolor and someone told me to use an inexpensive grocery store brand instead cuz Americolor is very intense so I will try that next time.

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #33 of 40

I am still new to actually selling my cakes, but the most requested flavor I get is my red velvet. It was something my family always had. In my opinion you must use cream cheese icing.

Red velvet is my childrens favorite and I just delivered my first wedding cake and it was red velvet. I now use the crusting cream cheese icing from cc and have always had the best of reviews. Works wonderful in cupcakes as well.

Have to agree with the MacCormicks recipe as my personnal favorite. But honestly in a pinch a doctored up box mix as stated before is wonderful as well.

Its still my favorite and always will be. My husband says its just a souther thing icon_razz.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #34 of 40

With the doctored mix I've never had a bitter taste and it never turns out dry. Scratch RV can be tempermental & that's why I'm glad I have the docotored mix recipe.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 3:22am
post #35 of 40

Any one ever do RV with a fruit filling or fruity flavour BC? The birthday boy has decided he wants s'thing fruity flavoured!

meegz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meegz Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:15am
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I have a recipe for Red Velvet cake which uses beets for the red color

Wana share? I've never made a rv cuz there is so darn much red food colouring in it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I think a strawberry or raspberry filling could be yummy, they go well with chocolate cake, so they shoud go ok with rv, shouldn't they????

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

With the doctored mix I've never had a bitter taste and it never turns out dry. Scratch RV can be tempermental & that's why I'm glad I have the docotored mix recipe.

I totally agree with you! The CMD's red velvet is one of the best that I've tried not to mention reliable. I've tried Sarah's recipe, but found that it wasn't sweet enough, & I really didn't like the texture.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #38 of 40

The recipe I have, I mix the vanilla, food coloring and cocoa together to form a paste. I actually don't fold at all, and get a moist delicious cake. It is supposed to taste lightly of chocolate, and a slightly sour taste from the buttermilk, but it is delicious!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #39 of 40

The recipe I use is the Waldorf Astoria red velvet (it's on recipezaar.com). In the south, you can only eat RV with the cooked frosting! The frosting is lighter, almost like whipped topping, but tastes SO much better! I haven't tried any other RV recipe, haven't ever needed to, but I do highly recommend the Waldorf Astoria one.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #40 of 40

When I make RV, it is usually a doctored box cake mix. I always add chocolate instant pudding and instant coffee. These two ingredients adds a boost to the mix. I have also add this to the scratch recipe and have been very happy with the results. My family prefers the cream cheese icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%