Crumb Coating A Wedding Cake

Decorating By claudia05 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 2:21pm by DeniseFL

claudia05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claudia05 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:52am
post #1 of 7

I'm making the cake for my brother's wedding in mid June (my first wedding cake). It will be a three tier wedding cake. One tier is going to be white cake with raspberry imbc & the other two tiers are going to be chocolate cake with chocolate imbc. The tiers will be covered in white fondant.

My question is... when you are covering wedding cakes in white fondant would you crumb coat the cake in plain imbc or can you crumb coat it with chocolate or raspberry imbc? My brother doesn't care for the taste of imbc unless it is flavoured. What is the proper way of crumb coating a wedding cake?

Thank you,

6 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:33am
post #2 of 7

You will want to use something white to crumb coat with since you are putting white rolled fondant on it. Just in case the fondant stretches, or is thinner in a spot, you don't want any color to show through.

Most of the flavor is going to come from the filling itself, not the crumb coat, I think your brother will be ok with that. (If not, he can just peel off the outside and eat the inner cake!)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 7

Here's an "Everything you ever wanted to know about making a 1st tiered cake" thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

Look forward to seeing pics of your wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7

Here's an "Everything you ever wanted to know about making a 1st tiered cake" thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

Look forward to seeing pics of your wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 7

You can crumb coat in anything you want, it will not show thru fondant.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #6 of 7

Others may disagree with me, but I crumb coat mine with whatever the rest of the cake is. Chocolate, raspberry, whatever. As long as it is smooth, and doesn't have large lumps (pecans or something) in it.
Fondant is pretty thick, so you won't be able to see the other colors through it.

HTH!

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 7

agree with summernoelle! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%