Renting Space For Baking

Business By lozpa Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm by JoAnnB

lozpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lozpa Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 3

Hello, everyone, I am a new user my name LozPa in CT. I have currently out grown my business, which i currently do out of my home. It has been suggested that I locate a place to rent, such as: a church or small place. I have many questions, Has anyone ever done this before, and if so can i get some help with the following.....

1) How much rent should I suggest to pay to rent kitchen space?
2) Does anyone have any suggestion on possible places i could check out.
3) and if i don't locate a place would it be possible for me to state that I am operating as a Decorating School vs. a bakery, I am tring to register my business name and need some help....

can anyone help

2 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 3

Try the search function on this forum, and you'll find enough on this topic probably to keep you busy all day...

search "rental kitchen" or "rent"...

Also try and see if there's anything in your area

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 3

You need to know If it is legal to sell baked goods from home in CT. If not, renting space or building a separate kitchen may be your only options for a legal business.

Not all churches have inspected, licensed kitchens, so you just have to ask them if they rent them out.

Some cafes/restaurants that are only open for breakfast/lunch may also agree to rent space.

As to price, it depends on how much time it takes to bake and decorate the cakes. A price per day, week or month would be safer. You may not be able to tell how many hours it will take you and it could be very cost prohibitive.

Opening a "school" doesn't change the licensing requirement for selling baked goods to the public. CT may still require you to use a licensed kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%