Is This A Good Deal?

Business By summernoelle Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm by littlecake

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 17

I recenly found someone closing their bakery, and they are selling their stuff. Can anyone tell me if it sounds reasonable?

Lang Convection oven (can fit 16-9 inch rounds): $1000
6 Foot long, 3 foot deep stainless prep table: $200
"" with sink :$225

It sounds AWESOME to me. Does anyone else have any opinions?

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 17

You can pay less for a brand new Deluxe cake oven, I don't think the oven is a good deal.

I mean I have a 4 x3 stainless table I got for less than $150 new.

I don't think I would be interested in deals like that. You can do better,

summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 17

Hmmm. Good to know. Thank you!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:00am
post #4 of 17

Check on the oven before you buy it. I have a friend who was all excited and bought a used bakery oven, later to find out it was gas... and she has no hookups. It otherwise sounds like a good deal to me.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #5 of 17

a new commercial convection oven can run you $4-5000, so if its commercial grade and in good condition than that seems to be a pretty good price. If its not commercial, then i'm not sure.

the table seems to be too expensive. i just bought a brand new stainless 4' long and 3' deep table for $160. A new 6' long one should cost right around $200-225. I'd offer her $75-100 for the table.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:19am
post #6 of 17

Just so happens I spoke to Russ at Deluxe ovens today. The 2 layer oven is $2,77w to cake decorators. It is the CR2 model. It is 24 1/2" x 42" and requires 220 electrical wiring. HTH

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 17

OK wait--I've purchased two commercial ovens one was a cool pizza oven that I paid about $500 for and the other was my Deluxe and I got the prices mixed up in my brain.

My Deluxe is the 3 pan, the CR-2-3 Convect-A-Ray that lists for $4499 in the book I have that is several years old. But if you call Deluxe they will quote you a better price. However, we bought from this place in Georgia that gave an even better price if you can believe that. Glory I can't remember the name of that place. Pretty sure the salesman's name was Joe--odd the different things you remember.

So let me rewind, $1000 for a nice cake oven IS a good deal. Be sure you can deal with the type of hook up you will need. Would require commercial hook up.

So the oven IS a good deal --the table not so much--but what does the table have underneath? Drawers or a shelf or what?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 17

You were right to think you had an awesome deal! My bad! I just got my commercial oven prices mixed up in my brain--so sorry.

However, if you want an even better deal than Deluxe can give on a new Deluxe call Restaurant Soutions in Georgia.

http://www.restaurantsolutionsinc.com/

What happened to me was I bought this really cool Castle pizza oven--it has a relief on the oven door of a big bowl of fruit --it's stunner beautiful--so my husband said it would blow the house up. Really annoying attitude there. So he bought me the Deluxe.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2658578080054976741qZLpti

I Love this oven! ^^^

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 17
summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 17

Oh, Ok!

I told him last night, and he was willing to talk about a counter offer.

I was thinking about offering $1000 for both the table and the oven. We will have to see...

Here is the thing:
He has used it for 7 years...is that too old? And he said the boards or something have been broken for the past 6, and they do something or other manually....I don't know what that means. icon_sad.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 17

oohh
if something is broken on it Id pass
youd probably have to shell out money to have the seals checked, and test that it reaches and holds the temperature.

I'd offer $100 for the table and see what it says.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 17

You also want to make sure they can tell you what PHASE the oven is. I'm sure the dealer can but I've called some people with oven for sale and they didn't know the first thing about what I was talking about.

3-phase ovens are going to be more $ to connect if you don't have proper wiring in your building. or you need to get a phase converter. A 3-phase oven will save you about 30% on your electric bill vs running a single phase.

Single phase ovens are less $ to connect, I think they run off of a 220 outlet.

summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 17

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less I want to deal with it.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 17

If I could do like 60 something more posts by midnight I would have posted 500 in one month. (Big mouth)So thought I'd respond in some old threads too.

So SummerN, if I ever get to the point where I sell my oven I will look you up. Like I said it is a brand stinkin new Deluxe. The picture is of my used one. I have two. I mean why have just one you can't use legally when you can have twice as much fun kwim?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 17

i paid 4K for my convection oven new, that was several years ago, it can hold 5 full sheet pans.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #16 of 17

Mine holds three sheets but I've never fired it up. It lives in the dining room there...waiting. icon_eek.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 17

tsk tsk tsk....i think you call that neglect, i'll adopt it and give it the attention it deserves

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%