Wedding Cake For 500

Business By SweetDreams Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 1:43am by SweetDreams

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:40am
post #1 of 15

Speaking of husbands helping out, my hubby got me a wedding for this fall that is for 500 people just by taking the kids over to one of our neighbors to play. Somehow they got on the conversation about cake and the next thing you know, they were over for a consult and now I am trying to figure out what we are doing for this many people.

I am a little nervous because everything for this wedding is being done first class so lots of pressure on me to make an amazing cake. I would not be suprised if this wedding is going to cost anything less than 100,000 with all that they are doing and where it is being held.
It makes me think, how am "I" lucky enough to be doing this cake and not someone more "famous", because believe me, these people can afford it.

The other thing that makes me nervous is that the mom is a president of a big bank and they know a lot of people so it could either be great for business if i go a outstanding job or it could turn out really bad if they are not completely satisfied.

Thanks for listening!

14 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:47am
post #2 of 15

Well, congratulations on getting such an important job!

And kudos to your hubby for being supportive enough to mention you.

You didn't say whether they wanted BC or fondant, how many tiers, etc.

So at this point, the only advice I can give you is to consult some of the older Wilton wedding cake books, which have some BC cakes that will serve 500 people.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SweetDreams Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #3 of 15

they know that they want buttercream but have not figured out what they want their design to be.

I just ordered the Wedding Cake Design Pro software so that maybe the bride and I could play around with that at our next consult.
Hopefully that will give us some ideas also.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:17am
post #4 of 15

Wilton has a couple of wedding cake books which are still in print. I know my local AC Moore has them in stock, so perhaps the craft store near you does.

I am sure that the supply store you deal with would be able to get you them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:37am
post #5 of 15

icon_eek.gif That is going to be a huge cake!! I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas. Just take it step by step and find out what the bride wants. And get a contract. Especially for something that big. And we are always here to lend an ear and some experience. Keep us updated.

When is the wedding?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:59am
post #6 of 15

Congrats!! I am very envious! Not because a big cake is good money, but because I just LUV creating large cakes! I really get bored with 3-tier-stacked all the time.

WHen I first got started, in the late 70's/early 80's (when big houses, big cars and big hair were *IN*!), I cut my cake-decorating-teeth on big cakes. I'd pour thru the wilton books, slobbering over the cakes that served 400 - 500 - 600 and more, praying for a bride who needed one that big.

thumbs_up.gif

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 15

I would also suggest getting sugarshack's dvds about BC and stacking...WOW! What an eye opener! These were such a great investment!

I usually get the bride to send or show me pictures of designs that she likes so I can get on the same page with her. I have always wanted to do one that resembles the brides dress. If i knew that I could do something like that when I got married, I totally would have done that.

Congratulations and good luck!!!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 15

Can I also suggest Marta Stewart's WEdding Cakes book? It's a HUGE hardback book w/like 150 cakes - from large and traditional to small and modern.

I got it on overstock .com and for like half of what it was at my local BArnes & NOble. I think it was like $30-33ish.

Oh, and CONGRATS!!!

SweetDreams Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #9 of 15

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have heard of the sugar shack dvd's and had actually forgotten about them. I will have to check in to that. Does anyone know what the website is?

Thanks again!!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #11 of 15

congrats on the order.
Good luck and remember to have FUN we do this because we love it but sometimes we stress so much over the cakes that we forget to have fun.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #12 of 15

Sugarshack's site: Sugared.com
Great information on her DVD's!

Don't get cornered into a price until you know what the design & cake flavors are and be sure to set a fair price for both yourself ('cause this will be a lot of work!) and the bride

SweetDreams Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #13 of 15

I just ordered the sugar shack stacking dvd, yeah!!

I always have a problem with the lower sides of my upper tiers when I stack. I usually end up lifting some of the frosting off and then have to cover it up with a border that will cover the flaw.

apclassicwed, where in MI are you from?

Thanks again for all the input!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #14 of 15

I'm in Farmington--a 'burb of Detroit. Where are you, Sweet Dreams?

SweetDreams Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #15 of 15

I am in Milford, not too far from you (20-30 min).

Do you bake from home?

My hubby grew up in Farmington and his dad used to be a dentist in Farmington (the first dentist in the city).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%