Martini Catastrophini

Decorating By pinklesley1 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 2:43am by pinklesley1

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 16

I had to deliver this cake on friday to a drs office (none the less) for a receptionists birthday... now she a Big fan of Sex and the City... so she wanted a Cosmopolitan cake... and me.. always wanted to be #1 when it comes to customer service says... SURE.. I can do that.... when i have never done that type of sculpting before...
so i tell her what flavor. and she wants carrot... ( i think.. ok thats sturdy enough) so i have like three recipies.. ( one is plain the other has nuts and the last one has nuts and raisins) no IDIOT me askes... you want nut and/or raisins... and she says... yes to both..
so i make this NIGHTMARE cake... and it doesnt bake up good in the center... i put it back in the oven... and check again.. still not done... so i am about to cry tinking that my oven has gone to heaven...
So it finally cooks up and then... i make it flat on one end and start to carve... i had staked an 8 on top of a 6 ...
and im carving and the retarded a$$ raisins start making CHUNKS of cake fall off...... i get the shape pretty ok, and I tell my DH to pass the icing... in a frantic rage i start to ice (like a mad woman)
I had finished icing the left side turn the board and start in on the right... when i feel something is going to happen, then....
DUM DUM DUM... the whole bottom layer (the 6) crumbles into a million chunks... UNSALVAGABLE...
so ihad baked up some mini wondermolds.. (which i do to give away to the people in my building... and i ran to the fridge where i had them collong and put it on the bottom of the 8... and it worked...
Now im not super happy bc the fondant was bumpy, (bc of the St*P!d A$$ rasins,
But hey the girl loved it... and I gave her a small 6 inch cake the I had made for my BIL that i made look like a cherry, so she got two cakes for the price of one... and she didnt complain...

Sorry so long... felt like venting... fingers hurt now...
LL
LL

15 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 16

I think they look great! thumbs_up.gif

I know what you mean about committing to something you've never done before. icon_eek.gif But, I like a challenge and learn something new in the process.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:55am
post #3 of 16

OMG I LOVE THEM BOTH!!! I'm sorry you had such a hard time, but your effort really paid off!!! Great work!!

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 16

I'm sorry you had so much trouble, but I think the cakes look wonderful. If it's any consalation, you've saved me from having the same problem, I'm making a father's day carrot cake this weekend and there will be carving involved. Thinking I'll skip on the rasins!! Just want to add your script is beautiful!

Sue

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 16

How pretty. I love them.

So I'm NOT alone. I'm the worlds worst as OH sure I can do it. Usually after a few tantrums I manage to pull it off. I think I work better under pressure???? icon_rolleyes.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 16

They do look really terrific! Makes me miss Sex & The City!
I also love your script! What do you use to get your printing to be so perfect?!?!?!

Great Job, well worth the effort! icon_biggrin.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 16

I think it looks great and I also love that cherry cake!

pinklesley1 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 16

To all of you that wonder how i do my script... BY HAND... I make a MMF and Gumpaste Mix to make the banner, and then let it "Skin" and then use edible food color markers to free hand the wording. People always told me the i have nice handwritting so i guess i just put to good use what god given talents i have....

If you have to carve a carrot cake... NO RAISINS- Kahuna..... it will just make you cry like it did to me...

Thanks for all your wonderful words, you guys are all awesome.

MandiSunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandiSunshine Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 16

I love this cake. Great work!

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 16

Your drink cake is great, but that cherry cake!! I had to go back and reread your post more carefully because I thought it was just a design on a plate, it's that perfect!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 16

It looks great, and fun.

My husband always complains that "no" is not in my cake vocabulary! Invariably, and 3:00 AM, he grumbles (lovingly of course) that I can never turn down a cake, and I must be insane! He's probably right! icon_biggrin.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks allison...

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 16

I'd love to know how you made your cherry cake!! thumbs_up.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 16

its a 6 inch round i made a dimple... on top... made the stalk out of mmf/gumpaste, as with the leaf... and covered the cherry in red... real simple...

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:17am
post #15 of 16

AWWW! I LOVE them! I dont know what you are talking about, they look fabulous! We are our own worst critics, but you have nothing to critique, I think they BOTH look wonderful, and you should be proud!

pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #16 of 16

Thank you guys... you really know to make a girl blush.... AW SHUCKS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%