Freezing Cakes

Decorating By skaggs1 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm by JennaK

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 12

I am just wondering how does everyboby prepare their cake's for the freezer, what and how should I wrap them? I have never been this busy to have to freeze my cake's, but my goodness I am now sheww!!
Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!

Kelly

11 replies
JennaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaK Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 12

I take my cakes out of the oven and immediately turn them out on a paper towel covered cooling rack. I let them sit there for a few minutes, then wrap them in the paper towels and foil. They should go in the freezer while they are still warm. I do this for all my cakes....it seems to seal in the moisture (almost like flash freezing). Hope that helps!
thumbs_up.gif

skaggs1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 12

Do you put your cake's on the cardboard and then wrap them?

JennaK Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 12

Nope. They are just wrapped in paper towel and foil and stacked in my freezer. But I did just read on another post that you should let your cakes cool before putting them in the freezer. I was taught to put them in warm and always have, so you might want to do a little research on that part. icon_confused.gif

skaggs1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much for your help, now just one more silly question lol, do you level your cake like normal before you freeze them, I was just wondering if you would lose any moisture of the cake if you do level them. Thank you again for your help

skaggs1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you so much for your help, now just one more silly question lol, do you level your cake like normal before you freeze them, I was just wondering if you would lose any moisture of the cake if you do level them. Thank you again for your help

JennaK Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 12

No question is silly. I'm still learning too, so I know what your going through.
No, I don't level it first. I think it's easier to use a super sharp knife when the cake is still frozen (once I am ready to decorate it). Plus I hate that Wilton leveler, it makes me want to scream! icon_mad.gif
Let me know if you have any other questions, I might be able to help.
Jenna

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 12

I cool completely before freezing my cakes. The reason being freezing it warm can create bacteria within the cake. There are many threads on this subject here on CC, and opinions do vary, so some research should help you decide which way to go.

I also level right away, makes it a lot easier to wrap and stack in the freezer.

skaggs1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 12

How long does it take for a frozen cake to thaw out and be ready to decorate?

JennaK Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 12

I decorate mine while they are still frozen.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 12

I cool completely, level and then wrap in double layer of plastic wrap. If I'm freezing more than a day or two, wrap in foil also.

I take the cakes out of the freezer in the morning before I go to work and when I get home, they're completely thawed.

JennaK Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 12

I have an entire freezer dedicated to only cakes, so I can lay mine flat without having to smash them into my everyday freezer. So it might be easier like veejaytx pointed out if you have minimal space for your cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%