Maple Frosting

Decorating By octopus Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm by LeanneW

octopus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
octopus Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hello lovely ladies,

I promised a friend I'd make her a bacon cake this weekend, and i found a delicious looking recipe for a maple bacon cake with maple frosting. The maple frosting however, is just sugar, syrup and butter and i'm scared it won't work for what i need. I'm planning on building a pig shaped cake and will need a frosting (preferably still maple) that holds up and doesn't drip off....any suggestions?

thank you!
Octopus...

8 replies
octopus Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 9

oh also, i want to try and avoid using shortening icon_biggrin.gif

octopus Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 9

so i realised this might help, this is the frosting:

Maple Syrup Frosting
What You'll Need...
4 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 cup of powdered sugar
turbinado sugar (optional, but recommended)
coarse grain sea salt (optional, but recommended)

What You'll Do...
1) Combine the syrup and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Sprinkle on sea salt and turbinado sugar for decoration and a lot of added flavor.

It sounds absolutely delicious but do you'll think it will work?

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 9

Maybe if it's too thin, add more butter and maybe a little more powdered sugar. I don't know, do you think that would help? Just a thought.

bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 9

I have made this recipe with success, it is from Wilton. You can adjust the powdered sugar depending on the consistancy you want. It will crust and you can smooth it. You can use it for borders and basic piping.

4 cups (16 oz.) confectionery sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter
3-4 tablespoons half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
Yield: Makes 2-1/4 cups.
Directions
In a medium bowl, combine all icing ingredients.
Beat until smooth.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 9

Do you want your frosting to be stiff? or do you want a fluffy one? Please advise.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

I'm not sure if you have used IMBC before but it is a dream to work with.

recently I made IMBC and subbed honey for the sugar syrup... my next experiment was going to be with maple syrup.

This is how I was going to do it.

whip 1/2 c egg whites with 1/4 cup granulated sugar with whisk attachment until stiff peaks.

while this is happening heat on stove top until 240 degrees 1 cup of pure maple syrup (not the pancake syrup type, the real stuff)

pour 240 degree syrup over egg white , be sure not to get it on the side of the bowl or the whisk.

whisk 10 - 15 mins until room temp.

slowly whisk in 1 lb butter, mix until combined.

Now, if you have never made IMBC before it might not be wise to start with an experiment. that is how I made the honey IMBC except with 1 c honey instead of syrup... you have to watch the boiling honey VERY closely as it bubbles up a lot the closer it gets to 240, I imagine the syrup will do the same.

I don't know if this will be helpful, good luck

octopus Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 9

I have used IMBC only once but very unsuccessfully--it melted right off the cake! but maybe it's worth a try again?

as for the consistency...i dont mind fluffly or stiff as long as it stays on the cake...actually, i think stiff might be better as fluffy might be harder to smoothen out?

with the frosting recipe i have added, im sure adding more sugar will take care of the consistency but i fear the end product will be too sweet.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 9

If you are brave and would like to try the IMBC again then I say go for it.

There are plenty of threads that discuss IMBC troubleshooting.

Mostly you just need to keep it in the mixer until it is fluffy and creamy, not soupy or cottage cheese like.

I am not an expert but you want to be sure your butter is room temp and you whip the egg/syrup mixture a good long time until it for sure is room temp.

I love IMBC b/c it isn't too sweet. If you do try this then let me know how it goes. I don't think I will try it on bacon cake though.

edited to add: I wasn't saying you shouldn't put it on bacon cake. sorry if that sounded judgemental, I am actually intrigued by sweet and salty bacon syrup combo.

I have a friend who adores bacon, would you mind sending me the recipe? [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%