Fondant Or Gumpaste Figures And Objects

Decorating By lsienna Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 2:48am by tiptop57

lsienna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsienna Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #1 of 2

I was wondering if you could tell me when making figures in fondant, how long for them to dry if they have some bulk. Do they dry all the way through? No dimensions in mind just wondering as a general question. I have heard of people combining gumpaste with fondant- when and why would you do this?

Also, what is the determining factor whether to use gumpaste or fondant when doing figures or objects? If using only gumpaste, how long do these take to dry and do they dry all the way through? Is it necessary to use toothpicks or wire to hold figures objects onto another object say- arms to a body if they are outstretched?

Thank you.

lsienna

1 reply
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 2

I use fondant if laying flat and will not be disturbed. It is very, very, very fragile on its own.

I use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste for all my flowers and anything that will not be eaten. I prefer 50/50 for ease of use and for the look it gives. Gumpaste dries quickly and I do not work fast enough on my flowers with gumpaste before they become brittle to "move" the petals into position.

Any figures of mine are straight gumpaste and removed before the cake is cut. If using straight gumpaste or a mixture for flowers then I put it into some sort of gumpaste mound on a cake board and remove it before cutting as gumpaste should not be eaten.

Both dry all the way through. If it is a solid design allow yourself plenty of time for it to dry. Flowers take over night if you roll petals paper thin. Many of my pieces are designed months in advance and stored in tight containers with silca gel packets after they dry.

Check out my blog and view my 20" fine art sculptures they are gumpaste/fondant mixed, completely dry but took forever to dry and they have not wilted and have been shown in many types of venues!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%