Michigan Folks!!!!

Lounge By chutzpah Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm by ncbert

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 26

I tried this on a specific thread, but may have better luck if I do a generic Michigan thread.

DH and I are going to Michigan. We fly in to Chicago, stay two days in Greenville, up to Bad Axe, down to Detroit and back over to Chicago.

Any and all tips on hotels/B&Bs, restaurants, coffee shops, sights, and cake supply stores located along our route will make me very happy and very grateful!

I have a kosher cake coming up for the rabbi's kidlet and would like to get some SatinIce (it's certified kosher pareve) to bring back with me. Anyone know where in MI this can be purchased?

thanks so much!

25 replies
SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 26

I'm not in Michigan, but I'm in Windsor, Ontario which is right across the border from Detroit in Canada. There is Satin Ice here at Bulk Barn, I'm pretty sure, and lots of other good cake stuff. There is also a good store here called Cakes Etc. It's just a small place, but they have a lot of good unique supplies. Here's their info: Cakes Etc. 1255 Grand Marais Road West Windsor Ontario N9E1E1 Canada. They have home-made marshmallow fondant there and I think they have Satin Ice as well. They also have a wide selection of those oil flavourings - I forget what they're called.

chutzpah Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 26

Thanks hunny!!!

We were actually planning on going over to Sarnia, but we might just have to make it Windsor instead.

Speaking of Sarnia, is there still a ferry or have they built a real bridge now? (I haven't been to Michigan since 1994)

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 26

There is a bridge and tunnel from Detroit to Windsor, but I have never been to Sarnia so I don't know how you get there from Michigan.

chutzpah Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 26

I've been to Windsor several times! There is, or used to be, a ferry from Port Huron to Sarnia.

we are glad to be coming over now. The US economy is in really bad shape right now, the dollar hasn't been this low in more than 15 years, so it's a really good time to be visiting the US from overseas.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 26

I don't believe there is a ferry from port huron to sarnia. I live about fourty five minutes from port huron and go there often to enjoy the water. There is a nice cake store in port huron called create a cake and I do believe they sell satin ice. The guy who runs the store has actually been on tv for wedding cake contest's and stuff. He does amazing work and displays it in his store.

Sugarshock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarshock Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:47am
post #7 of 26

About hour from Bad Axe you can find Jeans, its a cake and candy supply store in Bay City. Also there's Mary's Cakery, she sells supplies and cakes, its my favorite place to visit but it is a little farther away in Saginaw. Mary's may have Satin Ice, I'm not a 100% sure.
If you're coming in August the biggest thing in the "Thumb" is the Cheeseburger Festival in Caseville.
Oh, and a place I've always wanted to go and never have is a huge bakery in Detroit called, Zingermans Bakehouse (On their website they say they do tours.) and http://www.cakenouveau.com, she was one of the Challengers on last weeks Food Network Challenge.

chutzpah Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:59am
post #8 of 26

Thanks everyone!

We'll be there in 1½ weeks, actually. We'll drive right through Bay City, and Saginaw is so close. I'll have to check this out!

The Cheeseburger Festival must be something new. When I lived in the Thumb there was no such thing! (This was 100 years ago).

I'll look up that place in Detroit, too.

chutzpah Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #9 of 26

*bump*

C'mon folks! I know that there must be a whole pile of peeps here who reside in the lovely state of Michigan!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #10 of 26

I'm not in Michigan, but if you are visiting someone in the states, you can always order it and have it delivered there so it's waiting for you when you get there. icon_smile.gif I know it's more fun to actually visit a supply shop though. Oh yah, shopping spree!

I'm a fan of www.IntoTheOven.com for Satin Ice.

chutzpah Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:49am
post #11 of 26

Normally I would have done that, but this is a total surprise visit. No one knows we're coming to visit!

cookinnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinnut Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:59am
post #12 of 26

I live right between Detroit and and Port Huron/Saginaw. Unfortunately I dont know of any good cake shops/supply places to hit but I do have a really cool Michigan road trip book that has all sorts of fun stuff in it for anyone kids or not. The funny thing is, that my aunt in California just sent it to me. You should see if you can pick it up at a book store. It's called Michigan Family Field Trips (fun sites for kids) by Ellyce Field.

chutzpah Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 26

Thanks!

*bumping*

abbyg7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbyg7 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:05am
post #14 of 26

Chutzpah,
I did some searching for you and these are some cake supply shops I found. Karens Kakes and Kake Things, Coloma MI, Mary's Creative Cakes, Saginaw, Jean's Cake and Candy Supplies Bay City, and Elite Discount Products, Davison. I don't have personal experience with any of them though. As for sights, restaurants, etc, if you go up the coast of Lake Michigan on your way to Greenville, I can tell you that St. Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck, Douglas, Holland and Grand Haven all have beautiful views of the Lake, unique shops, restaurants, parks and B&B's.
Some places I can recommend are Clementines Restaurant in South Haven, The Kingsley House B&B in Fennville(not far from Saugatuck website www.thekingsleyhouse.com), Fenn Valley Winery in Fennville, Cranes Orchards and Pie Pantry in Fennville(restaurant in an old barn filled with antiques and a you-pick orchard), The Butler Restaurant in Saugatuck, the dune schooner rides and the paddle wheel boat down the Kalamazoo River in Saugatuck, Boatwerks, Alpen Rose, New Holland Brewery and The Curragh all restaurants in downtown Holland. Boatwerks is right on Lake Macatawa(which leads into Lake Michigan) and there are eagles nesting across the lake which you can often see from the outdoor patio at the restaurant. Also, if you come in August Coast Guard Festival in Grand Haven is lots of fun. And even though it's kind of cheesy, the Musical Fountain in Grand Haven is probably something everyone around the area has seen and enjoyed several times

chutzpah Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 6:35am
post #15 of 26

OMG Abby!! Thank you thank you thank you! That was so kind of you to help out! We leave today, and I have copied down all your suggestions!

abbyg7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbyg7 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 26

You're welcome. I hope you have a fantastic time.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #17 of 26

Here's a link for two stores in Michigan that carry Satin Ice. You may want to call them first though. They've been running low on some items with the graduation and wedding season.

To get to Sarnia you will take the Blue Water Bridge from Port Huron to Sarnia.

http://www.milescakesupply.com/home/

http://www.partycakesupplies.com/index.html

rdiesing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiesing Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #18 of 26

Zingerman's and Cake Nouveau are both in Ann Arbor, about 45 min. WEST of Detroit. Both are fabulous!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm
post #19 of 26

I'm in the Detroit area (west of Detroit). The only cake supply store that I have found that is worth going to is The Baker's Nook in Saline. It is west of Detroit so I'm not sure if that will fit in with your route.

Here is their website http://www.thebakersnook.com/

Let me see if I can find anything else.

Here is one in Shelby Township: http://www.partycakesupplies.com/ I'm gonna have to go check them out, too! And it looks like they carry Satin Ice too. Looks like a nice store from their website, but a huge haul for me - we're talking about an hour drive EEKS!

Have a GREAT trip!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #20 of 26

Trixyinaz - thanks for the link to the new store in Shelby Twp! I grew up there and my parents still live there and I didn't even know about it yet.

Yes - Baker's Nook in Saline is great.

The Flour Garden in Monroe has a nice array of supplies for both cakes/baking and also specialty cooking and they do carry Satin Ice. That might be too far south of where you plan to go though.

The Flour Garden, Ltd.
900 South Telegraph
Monroe, MI 48161
Phone: (734)243-1786

Trixyinaz Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:33pm
post #21 of 26

Awolf - where in MI are you now?

awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:43pm
post #22 of 26

Newport - a little north of Monroe. I grew up as an "east sider" and didn't even know what existed south of Detroit! ha ha ha But my DH got a job as a Monroe firefighter so we moved down here 3 years ago. We like it - but the "rural"ness takes a little getting used to.

My grandfather lives in Canton so hey - what a small world! icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:02pm
post #23 of 26

What a small world, indeed. You aren't too far from me. I love that craft store out in Monroe...have made a few trip up there for my papier mache supplies.....much cheaper than Michaels. Now why can't they have a store that size with that much stuff for us cakers? It seems there is a need....maybe this is what I need to consider doing....icon_lol.gif

awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #24 of 26

Yes, Crafts 2000 is a great place - super prices. If you open a place like that for cake stuff, I'm there! I'll be your first customer. Just let me know! LOL

Trixyinaz Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #25 of 26

You bet! I'll let you know!

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #26 of 26

There is a ferry from the U.S. side Marine City,MI to Sombra, Ontario. I think both are not too far from Port Huron and Sarnia. I'm sure there is a website that I have been to.

I have been a few times to Create-a-cake that's just on the outskirts of Port Huron and love it there. Small but alot packed in and the prices are so much cheaper than Micheal's . I found most of the Wilton items there very cheap compared to her in Canada. Also they have alot of items that I only hear about on CC and online stores.

HTH
Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%