Advertising Idea?? What Do You Think Of Movie Theaters?

Business By korkyo Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm by justducky

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 21

I checked into advertising at a movie theater. It's Dickison.

For a fee of 1450.00 I can get my "slide" at one 8 screen theater and it will run for 12 weeks. Every movie, every day, every screen, with two slides per preshow. This is mixed in with the trivia questions.

It sound like a neat idea. I just have to decide quickly because the deadline is soon. It's less expensive than other ideas. It would be ran through the summer movie months which would be nice. I just don't know. Advertising is such a gamble.

Do you think that would be effective?

20 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 21

for a little more than that, 1800.00

a friend of mine got her photography studio tv ads with the local cable company...

they were really slick too...and they but them in good slots...like i was watching boston legal one night...there popped her ad.

she said you could alway tell when the thing ran...the phone would ring off the hook

i thought about the movies too...the people who go have disposable income...or they wouldn't be at the movies.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 21

What percentage of the TV or movie audience is shopping for a decorated cake?

For that kind of money, I'd be looking for a more targeted audience.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 21

I would think that especially at this time of year, you are going to be getting a lot of kids/students watching movies. Probably not the people who are going to be ordering your cakes. For less than that I can get into the largest bridal show in my area. I would think you would get more orders from that. Only you know your area though.

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 21

If you have the money then go for it! I think that it is a neat idea.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 21

I think it depends on your target market. If you do lots of birthday cakes and that's you thing it would probably be great. If you are looking for wedding business, I don't think you'd be spending your money well.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 21

Around here, all the ads that run before the movies (which I personally hate btw- if I'm paying for a movie and they make me watch ads, then they need to discount my ticket price- anyway)
are from high end places.
The really huge lexus dealer has been running ads at the same muvico since it opened in 2002.

It really depends on your area and the the demographics of the people who go to the movies in your area.

Here I think it would be great for business- but I don't know about your area

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 21

Does the movie theater host birthday parties? Mine does. If yours does, then this advertising could be great for your business.

I know my theater runs a slide ad telling about the birthday parties you can book with them, and has the number to call. After that, an ad slide from a bakery pops up. Coincidence? Any parent who sees that (and likes the idea) will automatically have a place and cake for their kid's birthday party. How convenient. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 21

I know the movie theater near me had free kids movies. You might want to ask. If they do, then you can bet there are moms looking for kid Birthday cakes. And if you really good then they will tell other moms. Trust me, I raved about the lady who did my cakes, before I did them myself, and I bet she got at least three new people from me.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

I think it depends on your target market. If you do lots of birthday cakes and that's you thing it would probably be great. If you are looking for wedding business, I don't think you'd be spending your money well.

I don't know if that's entirely true--just look at who goes to theaters--young couples on dates. That turns into engaged couples--who at that age still go out to movies frequently and will need a wedding cake. Teenagers also like cool birthday cakes, and they also need a graduation cake at some point.

I think it's a great idea, and if it weren't so expensive, I would do it myself. Your ad just needs to have a variety of the things you do, not just try to target one group, because it's not just one group going to the movies. (I say it's expensive because I only do this on the side--that kind of ad would eat up a year's profits and then some. I just can't justify it myself. Wish I could though.)

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 21

The only problem with the move theater would be - how many people have paper and pen ready to jot down the name and number of your company right before a movie with the lights dimmed.

Just my opinion

Debbie

Auryn Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 21

at my theatre when they run the ads- the lights are fully up- very bright light- and the ad cycle shows each ad at least twice.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaker

The only problem with the move theater would be - how many people have paper and pen ready to jot down the name and number of your company right before a movie with the lights dimmed.

Just my opinion

Debbie

now thats a good point. icon_smile.gif

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 21

Could you have flyers made so if someone did see the add the theater could had them a flyer with the info?

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 21

sorry didn't read all the posts... but... I have considered this type of advertising too.

The one thing you will need to do is have a "call to action" what should they do after they see the ad? go to your website, call you?

I have considered having a contest... "enter to win a $500.00 wedding cake" that way you can measure the response by how many entries you get and the people will actually do something rather than just see your ad and forget about it.

The downside is of course that you have to give away a $500.00 wedding cake on top of the cost of the advertising.

this way you will know if it was effective in reaching your audience.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 21

My shop is in a retail co-op where there are about 15-20 vendors all located in a large historic building in our downtown, and we advertise both individually and sometimes as a whole.

Last year, two vendors decided to try this very same advertising at our local theater. The price was about the same and the package was also.

They were both very disappointed and could not see any return from this advertising investment. Typically our shop as a whole sees a big boost in sales as soon as any type of new advertising starts, but we could see no change with this one.

My physician also advertised with the same theater and ended his ads as soon as his contract ran out -- he was also very disappointed.

We have all tried various forms of advertising and what has worked is:

Cable advertising (as PP mentioned) -- it has been GREAT so far! It is relatively inexpensive, you can make monthly payments, and they are typically very "negotiable." We ended up paying drastically less than what their printed rates were. Our ad production was included with the package and it is great!

Radio advertising -- on one of our local stations - I didn't know anyone listened to our local station until I decided to take the smallest package they offered just to get the sales lady off my back! Again, they will usually cut you a deal and they are very flexible. Our ads sound so professional. I love them!!

My person experience is that I honestly do not watch the ads before the movie. We are usually getting settle in, getting our food situated, etc. Its a lot of money to risk when you may could look into some other options first. And in my experience the deadlines aren't really deadlines -- if they want your money, they will usually give you time to decide.

Auryn Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 21

or you could offer say like a 10% discount, or a free cookie if they come to your shop and bring the movie ticket stub.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 21

Very good pros and cons everyone.

One thing I thought of today was they can say that 100 people see each show but only 20% of them are there for the pre show. For some reason our town is very big on being just barely on time to things.

I think I'm going to save my money. I still have one big bridal show in Oct set up and a chocolate festival also... both already paid for. icon_lol.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #19 of 21

Seriously... bridal show! thats a great place to spend your mktg $$$$

glad you came to a conclusion and it sounds like you know where your target market is.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

The one thing you will need to do is have a "call to action" what should they do after they see the ad? go to your website, call you?

Watch the movie?

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #21 of 21

I did the movie theater ads for two years for my other company. Many times people told me the ads were out of focus or too pixelated. The ad company ended up refunding me many free weeks because there are "problems with the projectors" and no ad runs. (of course that is only when someone notices and tells me about it).

Something else to check out.... the ad company was independant from the movie company, so I was dealing with two different entities.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%