*desperate* Need Help!! How To Make Spun Sugar

Decorating By venefica Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm by venefica

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have good (and preferrabley easy) instructions on how to make spun sugar? I have searched and am not finding anything. I have a cake order for Saturday and need to know icon_cry.gif Yay Yay... I know I shouldn't put things off to the last minute. icon_redface.gif But I was sure that I would be able to figure it out. And have been searching the net... and cake central and can only find pictures. I would love it if one of you super helpful and nice CCers could help me. It would bring you good karma icon_wink.gif

4 replies
courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 5

If you have the book Dessert University by Roland Mesnier ( the former white house pastry chef. There is a recipe. He makes everything easy. Even the complicated things. Maybe your library has it so you don't have to buy it... It's a really great book though if you decide you want it. I use it for everything. Hope this helps.

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 5

Found this on CDkitchen.com and I have used a similar recipe. I just can't find it right now. Hope this helps

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, hot water and cream of tartar. Insert a candy thermometer into the syrup and heat until the mixture reaches 310°F, or it just begins to turn an amber color. Turn off the heat and let the sugar cool for a few minutes.

Spray a heavy baking sheet with vegetable spray, then wipe the baking sheet with a paper towel to remove any excess. Bring the pan with the sugar syrup over to your work area. Working quickly with a fork or a balloon whisk that has had the wires cut off at the bottom to leave many straight equal-length wires attached to the handle, dip into the hot sugar and wave the utensil over the baking sheet, drawing out strands of the sugar syrup.

The syrup will begin hardening almost immediately. With practice you can form the strands into a lattice design, swirls, or even form them into a lacy dome by drawing them out over an inverted oiled bowl or other shape.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Spun Sugar serves/makes 1 cup

Print this recipe

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you Courtney1009 I have always wanted to try this. It does sound quite easy and as you say with practise you can get better at it. I would love to learn Sugar Pulling but find the lessons are so expensive for something that takes years to perfect.

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for that help!!!!!! Now to go make a mess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%