I Believe I've Bitten Off A Lot More Than I Can Chew!!

Decorating By Mandica12182 Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 2:31am by ANicole

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 25

And, I need you're help. I need to organize my thoughts and find some time savign tips for this huge order!

Okay, first off I'll tell you....I have not been diagnosed legally insane!! LOL

These are all for the same wedding, to be delivered by 10:30 am on Saturday June 14th. These cakes need to feed close to 400 people!! They chose to do tabel cakes instead of a huge tiered cake w/ satelite cakes.

4 10 in rounds - all with different flavors and designs, and they all are covered in fondant

5 10 in squares- again different designs and flavors for each

and then a 10,8,6 square tiered cake with each tier a diff flavor also.

I have already ordered 20 lbs of satin ice, which according to their website should be enough to cover all of these! Boy, I hope so!!

I ordered premade flowers for some of the cakes, I've ordered pre made fillings too, I also got my mom to lend me some freezer space so that I can back ahead of time...since I have no freezer space at all.

Some of the designs on these include

1) cherry blossom branch (with blue flowers)
2) geometric cirle patters (with 3 different shades of circles)
3) a cake with tiny daisies going down one side
4) a cake with ribbon and swiss dots
5) a cake with peacock feathers and white roses
6) a cake that kinda looks like a present
7) a cake with wedding words written all over it
icon_cool.gif a cake with henna like patterns around the side.
9) a cake with coconut on it....YES!! my favorite design choice so far!! Then the tiered cake is just plain fondant with a ribbon on the bottom of each tier then their momogram piped on the top....not 3d.

I think I may be certifieable after seeing all this work I need to do!!

Also, I have a full time job...I have requested Thurday and Friday off..I wish I could take the whole week.

Are there any pointers you all can give me about getting all this done in 2 days??

24 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 25

oooh icon_surprised.gif boy are you gonna be busy. why do they want so many cakes?? icon_confused.gif

tips: i would do all the cakes ahead and freeze. make all the icing ahead. do an assembly line technique.

i think you may need more than two days. i think you should start as early as possible.
good luck thumbs_up.gif

Mandica12182 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 25

Yeah...then when it's all over I'll need a straight jacket!! LOL

No, really I am soooo done with cake orders for a long while after this!!

I think I may be crazy for taking this on. I have on of those brides that starts off easy then once you've agreed to do it...BAM comes all the surpises!! LOL

At least I'll make a profit this time....lol

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 25

I think if I were you I would have some more fondant on hand. That is a lot of cake.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 25

Anything that has flowers, if you haven't got them ordered, I would get those done to. Bake as much as possible ahead of time and freeze. Good luck girl.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 25

I dont have any pointers other than what was said, ""bake and freeze". Good luck, I'm sure they will be beautiful!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 25

20 pounds of fondant doesn't seem like enough to me...

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 25

My advice would be to go ahead and get all your boards cut and covered. Make all of your flowers or any decorations you may need that haven't been ordered. I would make my icing at the beginning of the week and have all of my icing bags already with couplers and tips.

Good luck!!!!!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 25

First off, take a deep breath and relax. You can do this! icon_smile.gif

When I did my wedding cake, I started on Wednesday. I had already worked out a 'schedule' for baking that would pretty much keep the oven going all day long, but would allow for the different sized pans to be cooling or in use or whatever. I also went into my Paint program and did a rough diagram of which cake would be what flavor, size, etc. I had a spreadsheet that backed that up, and doubled as my shopping list. icon_razz.gif

DEFINITELY make the icing and fillings as far ahead as you can. If you need to bake and freeze, do so, but my cakes were just fine being baked on Wednesday, frosted on Thursday, decorated on Friday, and eaten on Saturday. That was with most of Friday being dedicated to running around for last-minute stuff, since I was the bride! icon_razz.gif I think you can do it starting early on Thursday, if you just arrange your time and space so that it will work best for you. The suggestion of 'assembly line' is a great one! I personally set up two 6' folding tables in my living room and did all my trimming, frosting, and decorating there, but then, I had to keep things away from my pets, so there ya go.

Most of all, remember to have fun! You can do this. icon_smile.gif

hope this helps.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 25

Ditto to previous posters...but mainly, make sure you are PROPERLY PAID!!!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

20 pounds of fondant doesn't seem like enough to me...

I agree with Brandi. If they are all getting covered in fondant, I don't think that will be enough. I haven't done the math, but I think you will probably need a little more.

The other thing I forgot was -- how many of these size pans do you have? I would buy a couple extra, as it keeps the baking line moving quicker.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 25

Wow.. trhat is a TON of cake. Do they realize how much this is going to cost?? And do they really need that much cake??

four 10" rounds is 120 servings
four 10" squares is 200 servings
and the tiered cake is 65 servings..

That's 385 servings of cake. WOWZA!! In fondant I'd charge $2000.00 for just the cake.

I'd get some extra fondant too because it always takes more than what they say it will and if you mess up you'll have extra. It keeps for a LOOOONG time so you can just save what you don't use.

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 25

that seems like more than enough cake for 400, especially if they plan on serving the tiered cake too (about 475?). definitely have all the cakes baked and frozen, boards covered, icing made. you will need the 2 days just for decorating. that way your not too rushed. maybe you can also try icing and covering one 10" cake and freezing it that way you know how fast it takes u to do one cake. satin ice freezes well. good luck and post the pics.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 25

Well, you've certainly bitten off more than *I* could chew!

Bake and freeze, bake and freeze!

Good luck, post pics!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I think if I were you I would have some more fondant on hand. That is a lot of cake.

I agree!! Get more fondant!

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:44am
post #16 of 25

Yikes!! I may be making MMF and for some then because I just ordered 20lbs and it's already on its way!!

Thanks everyone for your advice!!

Especially DoniB for the reassuring tone, I sure hope I can do this!!

I am getting paid pretty well....I know now I could have charged a lot more but, you live and you learn and I am definetely not losing money on it soo, I'll just write the rest of to experience! Ia m actually excited about this one!!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:28pm
post #17 of 25

Wow, it almost sounds like they just couldn't pick a cake design, so they picked many! LOL!

You can do this, you just need to make a list of what needs to be done, categorize it into what you can do now (ie. make flowers, cover boards, bake & freeze) and what needs to wait! Best of luck, can't wait to see pictures and hear how you make out!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 25

Don't make MMF.. it won't have the same consistency or flavor. If you have to make fondant at home make Michele Foster's recipe from here in the recipe section. It is just as good (better if you ask me) as Satin ice and it doesn't smell like vanilla play-doh. icon_lol.gif It's easy to make too..

You an totally do this.. just get yourself organized. Make a list of everything you need to get done and prioritize. Get everything you can get done ahead of time done. Make fillings that you can freeze now and frostings now.. get your boards covered now. Make all of your gumpaste stuff ASAP so it can dry. Bake and freeze.. you can do this. icon_smile.gif I can't wait to see the result!!

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:47pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

Wow, it almost sounds like they just couldn't pick a cake design, so they picked many! LOL!

You can do this, you just need to make a list of what needs to be done, categorize it into what you can do now (ie. make flowers, cover boards, bake & freeze) and what needs to wait! Best of luck, can't wait to see pictures and hear how you make out!

That's basically it...every table has a different cake!! LOL...I think she went a little overboard but, oh well, her parents paid for it. I'm not one to tell a bride she is nuts!! icon_razz.gif

Mandica12182 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #20 of 25

So...here's an update!!

I actually got them all finished and they are in my photos if anyone is interested!!

They were a lot of work and of course there are things about them that I don't like, but I can't wait to see what they think about them. The caterer LOVED them all and asked for my card!!

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:17pm
post #21 of 25

Very Nice photos. Did you put your cakes on mirrors?? That is a really good idea if so. That would give them lots of support? Do you usually do that??

Mandica12182 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #22 of 25

Yes, I found 12x12 round and sqaure mirrors at Micheals and they were cheaper than buying the white cake drums so, that's what I used...they will retunr them too so, I'll get lots of use out of them. I believe the rounds were 3.99 and the squares were 4.99...so, not too bad at all and yes, they are really great support...that tiered cake was HEAVY...my husband had to go with me to deliver these because I couldn't even lift it!! LOL

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #23 of 25

well done! be proud of getting this done. the cakes are beautiful!

Paula

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 25

Nice work Mandy, now put your feet up & relax. You deserve it.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #25 of 25

Good job! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%