Just Bought Sweetex, Long

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 1:21am by MichelleM77

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 36

Ok so I just bought two pounds of sweetex shortening from my cake supply store. I have never used this before, just use plain old 0 trans fat Crisco from wal mart. I have a wedding on Saturday along with a grooms cake. The car ride is almost two hours and then it will sit in a hall until reception time. The weather here is supposed to be warm and humid and possible thunderstorms. The van is going to be air conditioned but I am concerned about using my standard buttercream dream recipe off this site because in all honesty even though it taste's great, it doesn't crust that well for ME. There is going to be either black or red ribbon on this cake and I am nervous that it will bleed if the icing starts to get wet at all. So what I am wondering is, what is the purpose of this sweetex? Does it help it to crust? Can I use it in the buttercream dream recipe just omit the other crisco? Does it taste good? Does it smell ok? Should I use a whole new recipe?? Can someone please help me make a good tasting very well crusting buttercream recipe for a wedding cake and grooms cake for this saturday that will hold up well in a long car ride, and sit in the hall until its time to get eaten. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is only my third wedding cake and I am nervous about the ribbons bleeding and the icing melting. Thanks anyone!!!

35 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 36

Have you tried sugarshacks icing recipe? A lot of people swear by it in hot, humid weather. Search the forums for it 'cause I know it's here. That being said I love my icing recipe so much that I've just stuck by it. People request it on my cakes. I have only used Sweetex but if you want to use your BC Dream recipe just replace the Crisco with the Sweetex. If you are worried about the butter content in the dream recipe switch it out measure for measure with the Sweetex and add butter flavoring.

LaurynBrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 36

Where can you get sweetex from? The only cake places we have around here are Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart icon_smile.gif Can you order it online? Is it worth it? Can you make the sugar shack recipe with crisco?

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 36

I get mine at Gordon Food Service special order. You can get it on-line from almost any cake decorating site. If you get the 50# box though you will pay dearly for shipping. I know CountryKitchens.com sells their brand of hi-ratio in 2 lb. tubs so you might try there. they are awesome to deal with and when I order on day, it's at my house the next!! Shipping is more than fair, too!

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 36

I live in Phoenix and I use the Buttercream Dream recipe made with Sweetex as my only buttercream.

Just make one minor change, use 2/3 cup of Sweetex instead of the 1 cup of Crisco.

When made this way you get a really good crusting and great tasting buttercream that holds up to transport and decorating even when the temp outside is 100+

I didn't have any problems with it even when our monsoons hit last summer and we had the high heat with the humidity and thunderstorms.
thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 36

I bought sweetex from a local cake supply store about an hour away from my house. I have never used it before but am desperately seeking a great crusting great tasting buttercream. I will check out sugarshacks recipe on here .. thanks!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 36

I don't have an answer, but I'm glad you asked it because I am curious about Sweetex and the Buttercream Dream recipe. I won't make a BC without butter, so SS recipe is out. I also can't get the Buttercream Dream recipe to crust at all! You aren't alone! icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 36

thanks michelle, at least I know I'm not doing something wrong!! LOL Anyways, I made indydebi's icing off this site since it is supposed to crust and hold up to humidity very well, but it had no butter in it, and when I had my SIL taste test it for me, she said it left a greasy taste in her mouth, not like my buttercream dream recipe .. so I think I am wanting butter in my icing as well .. to cut down on the greasiness ... I looked at sugarshacks recipe and while I'm sure it taste's good I'm confused on the hot liquid with flavorings part .. would I make hot water and then add in butter flavoring to the hot water? Or is it nothing like that at all?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 36

I use this recipe with Sweetex all the time.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html

I only use 3/4 c of the Sweetex instead of the whole c as called for in the recipe. Can't say how it holds up in heat as I haven't used it outside but it crusts great and everyone seems to like the taste. I've used all kinds of different flavorings.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

thanks michelle, at least I know I'm not doing something wrong!! LOL Anyways, I made indydebi's icing off this site since it is supposed to crust and hold up to humidity very well, but it had no butter in it, and when I had my SIL taste test it for me, she said it left a greasy taste in her mouth, not like my buttercream dream recipe .. so I think I am wanting butter in my icing as well .. to cut down on the greasiness ... I looked at sugarshacks recipe and while I'm sure it taste's good I'm confused on the hot liquid with flavorings part .. would I make hot water and then add in butter flavoring to the hot water? Or is it nothing like that at all?

Make the liquid by mixing one cup of hot water with one cup of powdered coffee creamer. Use only the amount you need to get the consistency you prefer.

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynBrook

Where can you get sweetex from? The only cake places we have around here are Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart icon_smile.gif Can you order it online? Is it worth it? Can you make the sugar shack recipe with crisco?

I have make SS recipe with both "Crisco" (store brand w/trans fat) and with Sweetex.

With Crisco this recipe was great. With Sweetex it was OUT OF THIS WORLD. My husband who hates frosting said this was the best thing he ever had. My neighbor loved it as well, said it wasn't sweet. With the sweetex it is soooooo smooth!

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 36
Quote:

thanks michelle, at least I know I'm not doing something wrong!!

Well, I don't know that I'm not doing something wrong. LOL!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 36

I understand that Sweetex hold up better in humid areas and is a lot more better than Crisco. Some people use Apine as well another type. shortening

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 36

...I'm all ears! icon_razz.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 36

I make Sugarshack's buttercream, but use 1/2 butter 1/2 Aldi's shortening. Crusts well, holds up in heat and humidity.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 36

I make Indydebi's recipe with 1/2 high ratio and 1/2 butter and it works great. I've also made sugarshacks recipe 1/2 and 1/2 and added dream whip and it's very good.

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #17 of 36

For those that have done SS half butter half shortening, how long does it keep in the fridge? Do you freeze it? Does it stay as smooth once frozen?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #18 of 36

I really like cakemanOH's hi-ratio b/c recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2375-Brite-White-Buttercream-Icing.html
(There are butter and cream cheese variations.)

puzzlegut has made this recipe without the icing base with success. icon_smile.gif

HTH

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #19 of 36

you know, i was just thinking.....it's all about SS technique in making the BC, not necessarily the recipe, right?

TheCakerator Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #20 of 36

what is aldi's crisco mean? I'm not sure how to say this, but if you just want unflavored (?) buttercream, and you use sugarshacks recipe, don't you have to buy flavored coffee creamer? I am not a coffee drinker myself so I'm not sure about this, but I don't use flavored creams in my buttercream dream recipe, just vanilla, but not french vanilla like the creamer.... I hope this makes sense!! I just want a buttercream recipe that taste's like buttercream .. not praline, or hazelnut, or french vanilla .. just smooth and creamy and vanillay and buttery LOL I guess I want it all! Is there such a thing as unflavored coffee creamer? Or are you all using flavored?

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

you know, i was just thinking.....it's all about SS technique in making the BC, not necessarily the recipe, right?

EXACTLY!!! I use my own recipe using SS technique and it comes out GREAT.

Also, Crisco will leave a greasy feel in your mouth, but hi-ratio shortening (e.g. Sweetex, Alpine, etc.) won't. That is one of the benefits to using hi-ratio shortening.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:02pm
post #22 of 36

but SS's recipe sho' does taste great icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #23 of 36
Quote:

what is aldi's crisco mean? I'm not sure how to say this, but if you just want unflavored (?) buttercream, and you use sugarshacks recipe, don't you have to buy flavored coffee creamer? I am not a coffee drinker myself so I'm not sure about this, but I don't use flavored creams in my buttercream dream recipe, just vanilla, but not french vanilla like the creamer.... I hope this makes sense!! I just want a buttercream recipe that taste's like buttercream .. not praline, or hazelnut, or french vanilla .. just smooth and creamy and vanillay and buttery LOL I guess I want it all! Is there such a thing as unflavored coffee creamer? Or are you all using flavored?

Aldi's is a grocery store in the Cleveland area, not sure where else it is, so it's a store brand name.

If I remember right, I think unflavored coffee creamer is what SS uses. I don't see why you couldn't just use a hot liquid (maybe put your extract in a Pyrex measuring cup, add enough liquid to equal what you need to thin your icing, and then heat it up?) in place of her coffee creamer mixture.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:30am
post #24 of 36

the coffee creamer mixture replaces the water or milk that you typically use in an icing recipe. she explains that another decorator showed her how to do the powdered creamer because you don't have to worry about spoilage as you would with regular milk. It's pastuerized. You mix 1 cup powdered creamer (some people use the flavored depending on if they want that particular flavored icing) with 1 cup almost boiling water. Use as many tablespoons as your recipe calls for. It gives it a creamy texture and with the liquid being hot it helps smooth out the icing. if you have left over mixture put a lid on the container and stick in the fridge until ready to use it again. reheat for 2-3 min in the microwave until it's pretty hot and use in your next batch.

TheCakerator Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:21pm
post #25 of 36

thanks sassy, I will use my buttercream dream recipe with sweetex for this wedding cake, but may try experimenting with ss recipe!

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #26 of 36

no problem - you really could use the creamer mixture for any icing recipe that calls for water or milk icon_smile.gif

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:43pm
post #27 of 36

I just watched SS's dvd about BC. She explains that with the Sweetex and the creamer, you don't have to worry about spoilage and it crusts quickly, but still has enough elasticity to manipulate it for smoothing.

I want to get some Sweetex to try but am having a hard time finding any in the sticks where I live. I think I am going to see a local grocer who offered to order things for me and see if she can get a small amount shipped to her store. That way I don't have to pay shipping on it, just retail.

jenangel1229 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenangel1229 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #28 of 36

I keep seeing this "Butter cream dream" where can I find the reciepe for this? Also the sugarshack reciepe, do I have to purchase the dvd to get this?

Thanks for your help, Ive been using the Wilton reciepe and not to many people care for that one.

Thanks soo much!

Jen

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #29 of 36

Toss that Wilton recipe out right now! There are so many here on CC that taste and handle so much better. icon_smile.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:25pm
post #30 of 36

I have had this recipe out in heat up to 95 with high humidity with no problem. Butter is your problem in the heat. I have left out in the sun even with no problems, but fading will come to the colors if left out in full sun.

3 1/2 cups sweetex 1 Tbl clear vanilla 2 tsp butter flavoring (or any other flavoring) cream these together. Then I add about 1/4 cup of milk or half and half it's up to you. Mix this until fluffy, then I alternate with 4 pounds PS adding more milk until you get the consistancy that you want. I do stiff for flowers and thinner for covering cake. This crusts well. HTH You can even omit the flavorings and used the flavored coffee creamers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%