Mini Cakes

Decorating By todolomio Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 1:30am by iamlis

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

All right, so I have a nice order of small cakes but, now I can not find the molds!!!! Has anyone taken a sheet cake pan and cut them up into squares? Does anyone have a suggestion for this besides sitting down and icon_cry.gif ?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 7

Sure! Just use cookie cutters, either square or round. My best advice is to really chill the sheet cake (like, semi-frozen) first before you cut. That gives nice clean shapes that are easy to cut and slip out of the cutter.

Mini cakes are REALLY time-consuming if you have to make a lot (like 25, 50, 100+) so do try to give yourself a lot more time than you think. We did a wedding of 200 three-tiered mini cakes once and it took 4 people 5 days to do it!! (Or was it 5 people 4 days, not sure now!? icon_lol.gif ) We decided to never do it again because of the work involved and the real dollar amount you'd have to charge for each one to make it worth it.

So now, I only offer them for 1st anniversaries for customers whose wedding cake I did the previous year. I make them a little 5" tall replica of the wedding cake design I did for them. Here's a sample.

(Oh, and if you don't want to special-order in those little 3"-4" cake boards for each one or have to cut out those little beasts by hand....just use a sugar cookie or even an upside-down Digestive cookie as the base!)
LL

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 7

awwww.... that cake is so cute! i could imagine how time consuming it would be to do those for a lot of people.

i would say cutting a sheet cake would be fine.. just make sure that the sections are even.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #4 of 7

If you don't mind me asking.... how much do you charge per mini cake? Too cute!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Sure! Just use cookie cutters, either square or round. My best advice is to really chill the sheet cake (like, semi-frozen) first before you cut. That gives nice clean shapes that are easy to cut and slip out of the cutter.

Mini cakes are REALLY time-consuming if you have to make a lot (like 25, 50, 100+) so do try to give yourself a lot more time than you think. We did a wedding of 200 three-tiered mini cakes once and it took 4 people 5 days to do it!! (Or was it 5 people 4 days, not sure now!? icon_lol.gif ) We decided to never do it again because of the work involved and the real dollar amount you'd have to charge for each one to make it worth it.

So now, I only offer them for 1st anniversaries for customers whose wedding cake I did the previous year. I make them a little 5" tall replica of the wedding cake design I did for them. Here's a sample.

(Oh, and if you don't want to special-order in those little 3"-4" cake boards for each one or have to cut out those little beasts by hand....just use a sugar cookie or even an upside-down Digestive cookie as the base!)

That happened to me too.. 180 and of them..one was cutting..2 crumbcoating. I was finishing. It was hell! icon_mad.gif
I never want to do them again.. icon_redface.gif ..
I say now they are over $20.00 each and they usually stay away from them. icon_lol.gif
They do look cute.. icon_rolleyes.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #6 of 7

I have to make 80 little mini square cakes with some fondant ribbon on them next month. I was planning on cutting up a sheet cake, half frozen, like suggested and just putting some sort of glaze on it to make the fondant stick. I was thinking of just running the fondant through the pasta machine. Is that the best way? I am going to give myself an entire day to do these cakes..I hope that is enough!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #7 of 7

Is it easier to do the (wet) fondant coating if you are cutting sheet cakes?? Just wondering, the night mare FOR ME (some may not have this issue icon_smile.gif) Is the crumb coating, so I use the poured fondant method, and that makes things alot easier....good luck, they are time consuming, people always want those baby block type single serving cakes, they are such a pain for me to frost and level and torte each one...I am with Edna $20 a piece that will detour them (I HOPE!)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%