Cornelli Lace

Decorating By MARIATAMIA Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 3:10am by bobwonderbuns

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 9

I have been trying to find a tutorial on how to do cornelli lace on a cake. I've searched here and youtube but kind find anything. Can anyone help me? I would really like to try this technique it makes a cake look so elegant. Any help is appreciated. Thanks icon_wink.gif

8 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 9

Cornelli lace is fairly simple but it does take some practice and patience to get it to come out looking good.

Use a fine round tip - you should sift your 10x sugar to make sure no lumps get caught in the tip. Cornelli should be one long line - no stops and starts - and no overlapping. Other than that - just squiggle it around and have fun with it icon_smile.gif

You can use it to cover a whole cake, or you can just do sections of a cake. For example, you could just do the sides, or just the top. Alternatively you can ouline shapes (like paisley, or a ribbon) on the cake and fill in with cornelli lace.

A good practice medium is the top of a cupcake - it's a smaller area, but large enough to get a really elegant look icon_smile.gif.

MARIATAMIA Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm going to try that out maybe it's a good excuse to make a cake. icon_biggrin.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 9

http://www.cakecentral.com/article41-How-To-Do-Cornelli-Lace.html

Good luck and have fun! icon_smile.gif Something that I've found out while doing it: you can use buttercream, but royal icing gives a smoother finish to your lines. Also, it is a little time consuming. Practicing on cupcakes would be a great idea icon_smile.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 9

Cornelli Lace is one of my favorites. Like you said, it's elegant and I think it's just really classy looking.

When I do mine, I usually start around the bottom of the cake by the cake board or where there's going to be a border. I usually do a cursive "s" sideways. Does that make sense? When my instructor taught me this, she said to make sure you don't leave "lines". What this means is if you start at the bottom near your cake board, don't make lines of s's all the way up and then all the way down. Do a patch of s's then move on to another patch. I hope this makes sense. My Lemon cake in my pics is done in conelli lace if you want to take a look.

I've also heard some people on here say that they do cursive "s's" and "r's".

Good luck!
Tina

MARIATAMIA Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 9

Cwcopeland, the lemon cake is exquisite. I love the way you piped the swags framing the lace. I think I understand what you're saying about how to do it. If I manage to make the cake look somewhat decent I will post in my photos.

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 9

my cornelli lace always looks really bad on the cake, so I bought an impression mat! I lightly make the impression then trace. Yes I am a cheater! icon_redface.gif

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 9

In order to practice piping I take a cookie sheet and pipe on wax paper, with any extra frosting I have left around from a previous cake. And when I am done I just throw it away. Sometimes I will draw what I want to practice on a scrap piece of paper and put it under the wax paper so I can see it....then practice away!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:10am
post #9 of 9

Also if you want it to look really good, tighten it up. Mine always look too spread out (and yes I too cheat by purchasing an impression mat!) icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%