Storage Of A Cake With Fresh Fruit Filling

Decorating By ponques Updated 18 May 2014 , 12:14pm by TatianaS

ponques Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponques Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #1 of 10

I have a costumer who wants 2 sheet cakes Vanilla flavor cake with fresh strawberries and cream filling. and then covered with fondant.

I usually make my cakes on Thursday, decorate them on Friday and deliver on Saturday.
Can I leave the cake outside the refrigerator for a few days? I have heard that fresh fruits can get mold
Thanks

9 replies
TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:17am
post #2 of 10

Hi. I have never done fondant on a cake containing perishable fillings. I (personally) would not do it for fear of having the filling go bad. But I am not a business, I bake for family and friends. I'm curious to see if anyone has done it... Although I'd STILL be nervous about trying it myself. Your cake sounds delicious though! Best wishes with it! icon_smile.gif

LaurynBrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 10

Is there away you could store it in your fridge or wait and make the cake on Friday morning and ice it that afternoon? I'm interested in seeing the answers you get as well. I have such a fear of spoilage. I hate working with Cream Cheese frosting because I just know it's going to spoil!

babyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #4 of 10

If you use premade fillings they are fine. If you make your own, make sure the fruit has been in a can or with preservatives because otherwise it browns.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #5 of 10

I recently made a similar cake. Vanilla, frosted with vanilla imbc, and filled with vanilla imbc mixed with chopped, macerated strawberries that were drained. I made the cake the night before and kept it chilled until about 2 hours before it was served, it turned out wonderfully!

I don't know if this would work with any other frostings.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #6 of 10

I make fruit filled cream cakes all the time, my customers tell me they actually taste better after a couple of days! I would ofcouse refreigerate the cake once filled, frost it and chill it and do the fondant the day it is due that way you can make sure there is no seepage into the fondant. Take care!

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrincia

I recently made a similar cake. Vanilla, frosted with vanilla imbc, and filled with vanilla imbc mixed with chopped, macerated strawberries that were drained.

The beauty part about using macerated and drained strawberries is that there wasn't a lot of moisture left to seep out of the berries, yet they were very flavorful and intensely colored. Also, the BC filling kind of sealed everything into place. Sugared strawberries don't hold up for a super long time, so if I were to make that cake again, I probably wouldn't make it more than 24 hours in advance.

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 10

You can put a fondant covered cake in the fridge. Put the cake in the cake box and than wrap up the cake in a plastic bag...this will keep the moisture from getting to the cake and causing the fondant to sweat.

To prevent the strawberries from bleeding onto the fondant you need to make a "well" (more like a wall) using buttercream for each layer than fill in each layer with your fruit filling. The well will prevent the strawberry filling from bleeding onto your fondant.

Hope this helps!!!

TatianaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TatianaS Posted 18 May 2014 , 2:27am
post #9 of 10

AI need an advice about how to store and transport a wedding cake. It is gonna be an outdoor party in second weekend of June, already pretty hot. And I will need to drive for about 30-40 minutes to the party location. It is gonna be a cake for my husbands grandparents wedding anniversary and I will be there to assemble cake in last minute before serving. I will transport it in pre-cooled styrofoam coolers with some gel packs and styrofoam peanuts. I made before cakes with fruit fillings and buttercream icing and always refrigerated them. My questions are, is it right idea for transportation? how to store fondant cake with a fruit filling? I will make seedless raspberry filling from CakeBoss, apricot purée and apricot SMBC from Martha Stewart and lemon curd filling. are those fillings perishable and need refrigeration? And if yes how exactly to do that without damaging fondant? Or maybe it is a no-no fruit filling and fondant? I will be happy to get any suggestions and advices.

TatianaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TatianaS Posted 18 May 2014 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 10

AJust forgot to say that I am using MM fondant. Sugardaze, your storage idea is awesome is it gonna work with MM fondant too? I did read this thread again and feel silly. I am going crazy about whole thing. I am afraid I will fail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%