Can You Freeze Fondant And Piping Gel?

Decorating By Housemouse Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 2:10am by Jenny BakesAlot

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 4

am up against it timewise or would do indepth search of the previous posts...

I made a swimming pool party cake complete with piping gel water and had a lovely thank you message left on my answer machine from the lady I made it for. The worrying thing is that her daughter loved the cake so much she wants to show it to relatives visitng from New Zealand in the autumn and so they've put the untouched swimming pool section in the freezer and are hoping for the best...

I wouldn't freeze fondant myself and cannot see it working out well - but I am a pessimist. I only used piping gel for the first time with this cake and so have never even thought about freezing that either. Never had anyone freeze my cakes for posterity before and wondering if I should be preparing her for a disappointment.

Can anyone help me with this?

TYIA Housemouse

can't upload my picture in the gallery for some reason will try on here.

3 replies
Hamaranpuu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamaranpuu Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 12:46am
post #2 of 4

The piping gel should be fine. DQ Uses it on there ice cream cakes ALL the time. As for Fondant...I have actually put it in the freezer before. It was NOT on a cake, but rolled out in to strips and I was REALLY new to decorating and had no other place to store. When I removed it from the freezer is thawed out pretty well. It was a little more brittle then it would have been just left out to dry but it also wasn't completely inflexible. The only thing I would worried about is exactly how your CAKE will hold up. How well are they storing it and how well is it wrapped. If they are able to wrap it in saran wrap really well with out it messing up the design, then it wont be as good as when it was fresh but it still should be edible.

OH! And I just remembered. My wedding cake was covered in fondant and I froze that for a year. (for our first anniversary.) I placed the cake in a air tight container and wrapped with plastic wrap twice, as well as tin foil. It still tasted good when we celebrated out first anniversary.

Hamaranpuu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamaranpuu Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 12:47am
post #3 of 4

Oh, and for the record my wedding cake was carrot cake with chocolate cream cheese icing, covered in MMfondant.

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 2:10am
post #4 of 4

I recently learned a huge lesson regarding freezing a fondant covered cake, even after doing a lot of research.  I put the cake in the freezer for a couple of hours to harden up the fondant.  I then wrapped it in saran a few times, then stuck it back in the freezer for 5 days.  I took it out to defrost, took the saran off right away so there would be no marks in the fondant when it softened up.  I let it set out to defrost, and eventually, it started dripping.  It was in a cool room and a fan was put on it after it started to really condensate.  Didn't work.  Drip marks all over.  Sooo, I would make sure they start the defrost process in the refrigerator for at least a day.  Also, next time I will box the cake, then wrap the box in saran (lots of saran to keep the air out).  The cardboard helps absorb condensation when coming to room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%