Can I Reheat Dried Fondant?

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm by chrissysconfections

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make letters out of fondant ahead of time for one of 2 cakes I need for this Saturday. I can't place them on the cake yet because baking them this early wouldn't be fresh enough so I was wondering....If I cut them out and laid them flat could I heat them in the microwave just before placing them so that they would meld to the rest of the design?
I'm using just plain old Wilton yucky fondant....nothing added (it's accent only and won't be eaten).

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe I don't understand... why do you need them to "meld" into the design? If you want to make sure they stay on the cake, you could use gumpaste glue. Just swipe a little on the backside before you attach.

chrissysconfections Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 7

I need to attach it to another piece of fondant that won't necessarily be perfectly flat once it goes on the cake. I'm afraid if the letters dry completely flat then they will stick up where the bottom piece may curve a tiny bit.
Maybe I'm not explaining it the right way......
I'm making a USMC emblem for a sheet cake. I have the eagle/anchor/earth emblem molded and waiting for paint, I have the two tone circles done but they are still somewhat pliable so it will lay flat on the cake. I'm worried about the letters being too rigid and not laying flat if they dry completely before placing them on the cake.
Does that make any sense?

butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 7

yes, now i understand what you're asking. i've never reheated fondant once it's been cut out, so i unfortunately can't give you any advice on that. i am assuming its a time constraint that prevents you from cutting them out when you're ready to put them on the cake. hopefully some more experienced cakers will be able to help you out.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 7

No, I don't think they will move again (without cracking) once dried. Can you cut them out and then keep them sealed?

butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 7

i've been thinking about this all morning, and i just came back to type that very thing. if you cut them out, and keep them in an air tight container (tupperware or something like that) they will remain soft & pliable so that you can fit them to the cake when needed and they shouldn't dry out.

chrissysconfections Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

I was wondering that too! Great minds right!?!? I was thinking how when I put the leftover fondant in plastic storage bags it's still pretty pliable so it would stand to reason these would be too right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%