Ganache And Fondant

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm by Toptier

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 7

Can I cover a cake with fondant that is covered with ganache? Also this cake is going to a bass guitar shape. it needs to serve 50. what size sheet cake should I cut from>

6 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, you can cover a ganache covered cake with fondant. As far as size, I'm stumped.

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 7

I was also told that you could but when I did it, it melted under the rolled fondant and two hours later you could see if running under the fondant (my attempt on a Dora cake in my photos) .

I was then told that I should refrigerate the cake covered in ganache before covering with fondant but.... it melted again.

No idea of what I was doing wrong. I now have an orange cake to do for next saturday and as the person I am doing this for doesn't like buttercream, I have no idea of what I should put under the fondant so I have just posted a thread here hoping to have some answers!

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 7

thank you guys.

kuhljeanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuhljeanie Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 7

I covered a cake in chocolate ganache and then in white fondant, and had a similar issue. I'm wondering if there's some way to "proof" the ganache to make it less melt-proof? Mix it with some merengue powder or something like that? Would it still be considered ganache?

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 7

I am glad I am not the only one with this problem!! Hopefully we will have an experienced cakemaker reading this and willing to help!!

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

Ganache does have to be refrigerated which may be a consideration given that you want to cover the cake with fondant. Perhaps you could try marzipan which would give a smoother finish under the fondant? Just a thought...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%