How Do I Handle This One?

Business By jnestor Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:32am by CakesByLJ

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #1 of 15

I've got my first big wedding order in July (200 cupcakes, plus 2 more mini cakes), and today on my way to visit my family I went past the location of the wedding today, and I came to find that the street to get to it is literally a 90 degree drop. Well ok not that big, but its really steep because its a dock by the lake. How do I secure cupcakes for a trip like this. I am totally freaking out now because its not close to my home, and if something goes wrong, I'm stuck. How do you transfer cupcakes without them moving all around? Just looking for suggestions now to get ready. Thanks!

14 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #2 of 15

I use those plastic cupcake holders like you get them from at the grocery store, and they stay put fine. Put some nonslip liner in your car, and that should help also.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #3 of 15

I moved 225 cupcakes two days ago. All went pretty well with my on-the-cheap cupcake holder. I take pieces of aluminum foil and mold them over the back of the muffin tin. Then remove the tin, flip over the foil and voila! cupcake holder. I got 45 cupcakes into full sheet cake boxes. Not perfect, but works pretty well.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:53am
post #4 of 15

Yeah, I would just transport them in cupcake boxes. They should be fine like that.

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:17am
post #5 of 15

if you have a Sam's Club in your area they sell cupcake boxes that hold 50 cupcakes....they include the box and the liner. they investment is kinda pricey but...you could cover the liner with clear contact paper to preserve the boxes for future uses. I hope this helps.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:22am
post #6 of 15

I don't remember whose idea it was, but someone here has come up with a "ghetto fabulous" way to move cupcakes. She uses a sheet of styrofoam and pokes toothpicks into it, then just pushes a cupcake onto each toothpick.

If the hill was too steep, you could park at the top of the hill (assuming it's not a very long walk) and then walk the cakes down, a box at a time.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #7 of 15

I haven't ordered from them yet, but this website has clear plastic high dome cupcake containers that hold 12 cupcakes for $0.72 each. I don't know how much the shipping comes to, but they would be reusable, and you could fill them and stack them inside bigger cardboard boxes to carry them inside.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:55am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I don't remember whose idea it was, but someone here has come up with a "ghetto fabulous" way to move cupcakes. She uses a sheet of styrofoam and pokes toothpicks into it, then just pushes a cupcake onto each toothpick.

If the hill was too steep, you could park at the top of the hill (assuming it's not a very long walk) and then walk the cakes down, a box at a time.

I think that is brilliant.....seriously. And I thought my little trick of cutting pancakes with a pizza cutter was good but this really rocks! Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:10am
post #9 of 15

Someone did a version of cutting down foam or plastic cups, and gluing them down to a board, creating a "sleeve" for each cuppie. If I planned to do many, a masonite or foam core board might be worth it. Frankly, I just used the "under the bed" Rubbermaid containers, placed in the drawer liner type rubber mat, and set them in. I got 75 or so in a box.

clopin0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clopin0 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #10 of 15

I love the styrofoam with the toothpicks - it's genius!!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:58am
post #11 of 15

icon_smile.gif

I looked at this post and can remember posting it A LONG time ago.. so I brought up a new post..

I started doing the styrofoam trick a LONG time ago icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-46433.html

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #12 of 15

I do the same as the styrofoam trick, but I use two cake boards, taped together at the edges.

I transported decorated cupcakes from NYC to Allentown, PA (110 miles) up and down hills along about the same angle (the sharpest hill near the apartment was about 60 degrees).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:19am
post #13 of 15

I've posted before about using styrofoam with toothpicks too!! It's the best way!! I do it for my cake tastings too, and I cover the styrofoam with scrapbooking paper to give it a more eleagant appearance (I send an extra box of samples home with the potential clients) and this way they don't have to worry about them moving and when they pull them out the bottom of the box (styrofoam) is beautiful and eleagant too......I've had a ton of compliments from brides on it too. One bride said she chose me because of THAT attention to detail (go figure) lol

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:25am
post #14 of 15

"ghetto fabulous"

Love it.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:32am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I moved 225 cupcakes two days ago. All went pretty well with my on-the-cheap cupcake holder. I take pieces of aluminum foil and mold them over the back of the muffin tin. Then remove the tin, flip over the foil and voila! cupcake holder. I got 45 cupcakes into full sheet cake boxes. Not perfect, but works pretty well.

I love this idea... cheap, effective, disposable........ what more could you ask for... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%